996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

This should be interesting: porscheenginefailure.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like for tried to sue them for uning the domain name of F#ck ford or any of the other sites 2600 has created over years.

Ford, after exhausting countless legal $$'s, has finally conceeded that it is not illegal to make a web site that has their name in the domain name or URL.

So this guy with the Porsche Engine Failure website can't really be sued.

If Porsche was smart they would fix this guys engine, buy his domain name and shut him up. This is how class action lawsuits get started. That is why he has an attorny sponsoring him. I referenced BMW earlier. Right now BMW has two class acitons against them for subframe failures on Z3's: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=402183

In this economy no one needs bad press and on the internet bad press spreads like wild fire. Porsche better figure this one out.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

The question is can this new site afford to deend itself all the way to the supreme court? Big companies can sue, and they have pretty deep pockets, and the small guys can't afford to defend themselves even if they are in the right.

Personally, as the owner of a failed 3.4 I fully support the site. I think those who believe that it is a small percentage of 3.4's failing are deceiving themselves. The more research one does the more you hear of the problems with the engines.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM
pjporsche
6th Gear

hey you guys this is a not if, but when subject. i suggest all you 996 and 986 owners get after market insurance warrenties for your cars,porsche did this dirty deed for 10 years with no recall. they will never admitt they make mistakes, start saving your monery for that rainy day. they thru us all under the bus. only a few got replacement engines with the latest 06 update counter shaft. the rest that got new engines under warrenty got the same engine as before (no update). this is a real problem. not just a valve job, oil tentioner failer, pop off valve, this is a complete engine failer do to porsche's lack of value to its customer, or should i sail lack of care for its loyal customers that take as much care for the porsches as they do for there own family members. thats ok porsche thinks we will forgive them for there sheister additude, we still make the best car in the world, they still will buy more.....
porsche should be held accountable for there mistakes....... the for the last 5 years, maybe more, the were the leader in highest profit per unit produced in the world. i think they can afford to make things right. well i have put in my two cents for all its worth. i hope that a class action suit comes into play....
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche will no doubt say that he is using the Porsche name in his Domain Name to do material damage to their core business.

Which he clearly is.

Should be interesting - he clearly has no legal recourse to be using Porsche based on his business or family name - this is usually the litmus test, and stopped Porsche Pete's Boxster board, using Porsche in the name, and instead using PPBB.

Now Apple Agency, in the UK, can own apple.co.uk because it's their actual business name.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Porsche will no doubt say that he is using the Porsche name in his Domain Name to do material damage to their core business.

Which he clearly is.

Should be interesting - he clearly has no legal recourse to be using Porsche based on his business or family name - this is usually the litmus test, and stopped Porsche Pete's Boxster board, using Porsche in the name, and instead using PPBB.

Now Apple Agency, in the UK, can own apple.co.uk because it's their actual business name.
So all he really has to do is change his name to Porsche and he can keep it?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You would think he would have left out the part about the bar???

FWIW, my 996 had 100k miles on it when I said goodbye. All trouble free. The rear main seal leaked only after the car sat for 2-3 months without being started/driven. Never saw another drop out of it after that.

I think the key to keeping these cars running is simply to drive them.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM
pete13
Intermediate

The same is true of medicine. You can't tell the person who gets a grade IV glioma that only 10,000 in the US per year get it, when you're the victim numbers mean nothing to you.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 AM
LowStro9
Instructor

I jumped on the six and was probably a jerk to the dude who out the site up but we are both from Dallas (I know him) and it sounded like he was lead to believe that there (as he said) huge money in an action against Porsche. Don;t take a stick to a gun fight and if you do, bring someone with common sense. That site and the target have no common sense applied in that action.

Hey I got a nifty idea, why don;t we jump in there, register and bitch about it and just when our motor goes, then we can ask Porsche to fix it. Umm...NO.

I know a guy who lost his to an intermix, had a very quite and polite with the dealer and the dealer auth'ed the repair with Porsche within three days. Their is nothing secret or special about this guy either. Most of the time you can get miles out of a situation just be being a bit eloquent in you communication style.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Beyond the reality that this will likely go nowhere for the guy, he should at least have someone spell check and grammar check. Sheesh.

Victem?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why on earth admit to drinking, driving and subsequently having the motor fail?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pete13
The same is true of medicine. You can't tell the person who gets a grade IV glioma that only 10,000 in the US per year get it, when you're the victim numbers mean nothing to you.
Uffffffff

My father is suffering a grade IV glioma since 14 months....
When I read this, it made my hair stand on end!!
(He had a brain operation made by the best expert in Europe and thanks God He is fine...)

Sorry but It was a bit hard to me read this comparison
Don't be worried about it
Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Why does it matter if he was drinking, on heroin, or running moonshine? The engine failed under a normal drive, with fairly low miles, and it shouldn't have failed.

I don't know what the stats are on engine failures, but it does seem like it happens a little too much for comfort. I think anyone buying a 996 should keep that in mind and make sure they aren't up to their gills in payments and are able to handle the extra cost of an engine replacement if that terrible event happens to them.

I think that even if it does happen, these cars are still a bargain.. they are cheap and you can get a new engine installed for 12grand or so - so that's a new engined-Porsche for a total cost of less than a new G35 or Maxima or whatever.. it's a good deal.

I have 119K on my car in it runs like a champ - burns no oil and is really strong. I've been happy with my car, but I can imagine how bad it would suck to go through the extra costs and inconvenience of a blown engine when simply driving down the road normally..

Quick Reply: This should be interesting: porscheenginefailure.com