Sponsored by:

Nitrous Oxide

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Yeah, so an iron block that's magnitudes heavier and cheaper than a Porsche.
I'm failing to see your point. I've never known block strength to be an issue on the M96 cars. If you argued that our engines tend to have weak cylinder linings on the early cars then maybe...but that still has nothing to do with the integrity or strength of the block itself. Nitrous will ad no different forces than a supercharger will and there are lots of high HP supercharged M96 cars floating around without issues.

I'm not gonna argue that it's pointless on a 996, but if someone wanted to put together a kit correctly it could be done with very few negative side effects. There's actually a company out there making Nitrous kits for E46 M3's now. They've taken all of the guess work out of it and put together a really nice kit. You won't see me installing it on my car anytime soon but for someone who wants a cheap blast of power every now and then it's not a bad solution I suppose.

Andy
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Yeah, so an iron block that's magnitudes heavier and cheaper than a Porsche.

Sorry, but this thread is interesting and relevant only if the OP is planning to race Chevy's in the 1/4 mile on PINKS.
+1
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is some things to consider.

Nitrous is instant!

Supercharging and using turbos is gentler on the engine becuase they make their 125 hp increase (for the sake of debate) usually at the peak of the RPM whereas nitrous could make 125 hp in ANY RPM range!

So, if you do not have any safeguards in place for RPM limiting the nitrous activation, you could spray a 125 shot at 1000 RPM!

I am fairly sure for the sake of debate that spraying a 125 hp shot of nitrous into a M96 at off idle will destroy something.

Another thing. If you accidently hit the nitrous at say 1000 RPM, that would mean the cylinders are roughly injesting 7 times more nitrous than they would receive at 7000 RPM because nitrous flow is constant at a given rate dependent on temperature of bottle and pressure.

That would probably destroy something.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Tippy, I think we're basing this conversation on the assumption of a properly designed and installed nitrous system. Your examples are cases of neither. A progressive control injects nitrous at varying levels depending on the condition (rpm, load, etc). RPM switches were installed to prevent people from "accidently" spraying too early.

In a similar fashion, if you ran a turbo without adequate boost control you'd destroy an engine just as quickly...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Tippy, I think we're basing this conversation on the assumption of a properly designed and installed nitrous system. Your examples are cases of neither. A progressive control injects nitrous at varying levels depending on the condition (rpm, load, etc). RPM switches were installed to prevent people from "accidently" spraying too early.

In a similar fashion, if you ran a turbo without adequate boost control you'd destroy an engine just as quickly...
Considering I never saw a kit for a Porsche (of course I never have searched), I was ASSUMING the kit would be pieced together without the safeguards in place, just like I stated.

It was just a warning what could happen.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:51 PM
Porscheismoving
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's totally clear few know anything about nitrous, I hear "add a supercharger or a turbo" first of all, a supercharger takes horsepower to make more power and adds a lot of heat put a hell of a lot of stress on a motor , a turbo adds heat takes a lot of tuning and on regularly aspirated engine running 11 1/2 to 1 compression that's not such a good idea , nitrous is not the big bad wolf most think it is, I have had wet and dry systems on numerous cars including a mini Cooper yes start small work your way up, most were v8s but that mini we started with 45hp on the mini made a sizable difference in power we put at least 10 bottles before we started moving up then we just wanted to see how far we could take it we had that thing all the way to 75 hp a little itty-bitty mini Cooper (non S) we could not blow that thing up in it moved I mean that little car will get up and go I ordered a Dynotune nitrous kit for my 996 and I know for a fact it will not blow the engine up as everybody says it will keep things within reason you'll be fine I'm going with the wet system then probably going to run at 75hp

Last edited by Porscheismoving; 05-17-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheismoving
It's totally clear few know anything about nitrous, I hear "add a supercharger or a turbo" first of all, a supercharger takes horsepower to make more power and adds a lot of heat put a hell of a lot of stress on a motor , a turbo adds heat takes a lot of tuning and on regularly aspirated engine running 11 1/2 to 1 compression that's not such a good idea , nitrous is not the big bad wolf most think it is, I have had wet and dry systems on numerous cars including a mini Cooper yes start small work your way up, most were v8s but that mini we started with 45hp on the mini made a sizable difference in power we put at least 10 bottles before we started moving up then we just wanted to see how far we could take it we had that thing all the way to 75 hp a little itty-bitty mini Cooper (non S) we could not blow that thing up in it moved I mean that little car will get up and go I ordered a Dynotune nitrous kit for my 996 and I know for a fact it will not blow the engine up as everybody says it will keep things within reason you'll be fine I'm going with the wet system then probably going to run at 75hp
Thank you for your feedback on a nitrous system as Im sure the m96 and mini cooper engines have a lot in common and your mini cooper should be a great basis for knowing for a fact that you wont blow the engine on the 996 because Im sure you have a lot of experience with nitrous and the m96 engine and can report back here how it does with the extra 75 hp you get from the kit and whether it is 75hp at the crank or 75 rear wheel horse power and I would love to see a dyno if you get it and also know which m96 you are running it on and maybe keep us updated on how its all going and if you are able to race and beat some really fast cars with your really fast car really fast.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Porscheismoving
AutoX

Default Nitrous

Ok you get to be the bully that's cool, no my 996 is not a rocket ship , but a little boost in power for under a grand is not a bad thing to me I have done the things to make sure it holds together LN update, and no a mini is no where the same as a M96 I was just using that as a example, the mini has a cheap cast piston non forged part in the whole motor ,Porsche uses good engine parts (forged)other than the IMS issues that flat 6 is a stout motor will take it, I might just want that 75hp hit on track day on that long straight or little hit just to put a smile on my face if that's ok with you, by the way know it all, nitrous builds much more torque than hp and nitrous likes compression, so go spend 10k plus on a turbo or supercharger and I bet it will blow up a lot faster than nitrous each is there own, unless you have a TT and owe more than a house on it...mine is paid for 100%
Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Lol, I've already blown an '01 E55 engine adding a supercharger, I don't really care to go through that experience again. I agree extra torque is always nice, and yes I was being smart ***, but depending on which model year you have these engines aren't exactly stout. I'm not saying they are a ticking time bomb but Porsche was definitely trying to save money in this era and these engines have some real weaknesses besides the IMS (cylinder #1). I would make sure you research them pretty thoroughly before you push them harder than they were designed to go. Or, report back to us in 20,000 miles and let us know how it turned out. Either way, best of luck to you.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Porscheismoving
AutoX

Default Nitrous vs boost

That's my point I hear others on all the Porsche sites that say get a supercharger or a turbo it's not as hard on a motor as nitrous and that is false, a small shot of nitrous (as long as the fuel is there lol) is much safer than any form of boost on a high 11.1 C/R motor all day long, one more misinformation is a dry system is safer no no no! You're relying on your injectors to add more fuel and they are already close to 100% duty cycle, a wet system right off the inj fuel rail test fitting is the best and safest way to go, I just want to clear up a lot of BS I see on here,
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's totally clear few know anything about nitrous....
Pretty cool to resurrect an 8 year old thread to start off with insults and then lecture on forced induction vs NOS. Im sure the OP has been checking back all these years waiting for your input
Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Porscheismoving
AutoX

Lol I always seem to be 8 years behind lol no I just was reading what others have said and noted a lot of false info and figured I had something to bring to the discussion, why not? We all think about more power it's all in fun no matter how old it is it's still relevant
The following users liked this post:
Even Glemmestad (07-31-2020)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:26 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than read the whole thread, the following video summarises it succinctly.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 AM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol I always seem to be 8 years behind lol no I just was reading what others have said and noted a lot of false info and figured I had something to bring to the discussion, why not? We all think about more power it's all in fun no matter how old it is it's still relevant
LOL, thats cool, no worries. It just struck me as a strong response to such an old thread, made me chuckle.

I agree there is a lot of misinformation in the world about nitrous; it certainly has its time and place. I do think its somewhat telling that it hasnt been brought back up (that Im aware of) since this thread. Not sure if thats because it hasnt really been done on a 996 or if its because anyone who has done it hasnt/wouldnt/wont post here?

Oh, and since you are a new joiner, welcome! Lots of good info here, and (mostly) helpful people
Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Awe damn, as soon as I heard a redneck hillbilly, I saw the train wreck coming.

But seriously most get the 996 NA for circuit style racing. I've had a couple nitrous setups in the past and it really required some setup that would be ideal for drag strip IMO.

Sure they have remote valve openers, purge systems, and bottle warmers to get the pressure up but all of these require some user input and isn't instantaneous.

I think most that are into drag racing get the 996tt where it's easy to make over 700hp all day long. The really serious ones are all in the 1k club these days.

You can see that all it takes is one to blow up one motor only before being in the 996tt territory which has a lot more beefy engine. Then it easily becomes hindsight, would've should've scenario and reflection.

More power to you if you can inject a 100-125 shot consistently on the m96 without suffering any damages. Please keep us updated on your escapades as we can all learn something whether good or bad. I certainly didn't want to gamble and take one for the team considering replacement costs. It sounds like though you got bigger ***** than most here. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Oxide