Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
zroadhouse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get my Recaro Young Sport behind the driver's side seat and it definitely will pinch my driving style (I'm 6'). With the full family in, we will have myself and my wife up front, my 11 yr old behind my wife, and my 3 yr old behind me. I think I'm going to have to remove the rear seat back on the driver's side to make room -- or invest in a different car seat.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zroadhouse
I'm trying to get my Recaro Young Sport behind the driver's side seat and it definitely will pinch my driving style (I'm 6'). With the full family in, we will have myself and my wife up front, my 11 yr old behind my wife, and my 3 yr old behind me. I think I'm going to have to remove the rear seat back on the driver's side to make room -- or invest in a different car seat.
Zach, How tall is your 3 year old?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
zroadhouse
Racer

30#, 37.5"

I put the Recaro behind the passenger's side. If we all go out in the P-car, my son can scrunch behind me for the trip. If it's just me and the kids (for dropping them off on the way to work), then he can sit up front and there are no problems.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have a 2 year old in booster seat and would like to take him to school less than a mile away....however took rear seats out with roll bar in my mostly track driven 997S and have porsche 996 race seats up front....was told to install airbag cancel key operated button and go ahead and use the front seat facing forward...can turn the airbag back on with adult passengers...wife not too keen..any input would be appreciated....I have read others with 2 seaters such as boxsters doing this...
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
have a 2 year old in booster seat and would like to take him to school less than a mile away....however took rear seats out with roll bar in my mostly track driven 997S and have porsche 996 race seats up front....was told to install airbag cancel key operated button and go ahead and use the front seat facing forward...can turn the airbag back on with adult passengers...wife not too keen..any input would be appreciated....I have read others with 2 seaters such as boxsters doing this...

Well, I know it can be done with regular seats, as Porsche does sell a seat that has a connector to deactivate the airbag. Now you mention having "race seats", what does that mean? Are you talking Sport seats, or GT3 style seats?

Personally, I would be reluctant to put a child seat into any kind of racing seat because of the pitch and shape of the seat, but regular seat should be fine.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Name:  PORSCHE SEAT (3).JPG
Views: 6131
Size:  34.5 KB886 gt3 seats still have oem seat belt in use in addition to 6 pt harness...think i am going to get another car.....335i cab.....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

yeah, I think it could be a problem to use those seats with a child seat.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

I need a carseat for my son. 16 months & 30 lbs. Looking at these two models. What is a better fit?

Britax Roundabout (up to 40 lbs)

or

Recaro Young Sport Child Seat (up to 80 lbs)

If they both fit with no problem, then I think I want to go with the Recaro as he can use it for much longer.

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I have both.

The reality is that for one kid the Recaro is great, but if you have two, then it's a little too big to have behind the driver's seat, so you would then use a Britax in that position... at least that's what I did.

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
I need a carseat for my son. 16 months & 30 lbs. Looking at these two models. What is a better fit?

or

If they both fit with no problem, then I think I want to go with the Recaro as he can use it for much longer.

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I have both.

The reality is that for one kid the Recaro is great, but if you have two, then it's a little too big to have behind the driver's seat, so you would then use a Britax in that position... at least that's what I did.
right now we only have one. Eventually we will add an additional child unit. At what age do kids move to booster seats?

I assume a booster will fit behind the driver easier than the Recaro?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

right now we only have one. Eventually we will add an additional child unit. At what age do kids move to booster seats?

I assume a booster will fit behind the driver easier than the Recaro?

Well, we still use the recaro in other cars, but we started using the Britax in the Porsche just after his 3rd birthday.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or

Thoughts?
Did you finally pull the trigger on a 911? I haven't been on the site much lately so I may have missed your introductory post...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I too have a 996Cab and use this car seat in the rear. Took out both sections of the rear seat and things fit very well. The Radian has one of the narrowest footprints and with a high safety rating.

http://www.albeebaby.com/sukiracarseg.html
Old 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a rough time getting seats to fit in the rear of my 996 cab. I finally tracked down a used Porsche Junior seat and it's great it fits in both the front and rear. (I do have the airbag disable for when it's just my daughter and I.

My Britax roundabout was a tough fit with the base on, I didn't realize you could take it off. (that's what I have in my Evo and my wife's TL)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

If i use the Recaro behind the passenger seat, how much room will that leave for the passenger? The main person that will be riding in that seat will be my wife (5'5).

The Recaro Young Sport looks bulky. Sure it will fit behind the pass seat?

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.