Sponsored by:

CDR 23 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
troos
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDR 23 Issue

When attempting to use the in dash CD it has started displaying "CDS Stop" and nothing happens (it actually switches back to FM). This has just started happening. All of my CD's are home made as opposed to commercial.
I have looked in the manual for the radio, the car manual, and searched the forums.
Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by troos
When attempting to use the in dash CD it has started displaying "CDS Stop" and nothing happens (it actually switches back to FM). This has just started happening. All of my CD's are home made as opposed to commercial.
I have looked in the manual for the radio, the car manual, and searched the forums.
Any ideas?
Does it play commercial CD's?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
troos
Advanced

Since I was embarrassed I hadn't tried that, I dug one up and went out in the rain to try. The commercial CD worked. Then I went back to a home made CD and that works now.
I should have taken these extra steps before posting. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue w/ my commerical CD of Boston not too long ago. WTH does CDS STOP mean???

///Michael
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

This also raises an even bigger question: Does Phil even know that his C4S has a CD slot in his upper center console?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having similar problems. The CD makes funny noises and sometimes refuses to recognize the CD at all. I figure it's on it's way out. But since I hate that radio anyway, I'm not too broken up about it.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
SBDinATL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on my 03 Boxster. It didn't matter if it was a burned CD or commercial CD.

It would freeze everything up and the only thing to do to fix it was turn the car off and restart it.

I had it repaired 3 times under warranty. My car had the Hi Fi system so it had a separate amp in the trunk. They replaced the amp, and the problem came back, so they replaced the head unit and the problem came back. Finally the replaced the amp and head unit again, but I turned the car in off lease not too long after that so i don't know if it fixed the problem.

I know a couple of people who have had the same problem. maybe it is something to do with the MOST wiring??????
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the amp and the head unit replaced. It still acts oddly. It may happen more often if I've left the radio on, when I shut off the car. I don't think it has happened if I shut off the radio, before turning off the ignition. I wonder if it's just getting noise, a surge or not doing a proper "boot up" sometimes when the car is started.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
HansFredrik
Intermediate

Does anyone know of any writable CD brands/models that work with the CDR-23? I have tried a couple but not had any luck yet, keep getting the STOP error.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 AM
sheatley
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I am wondering if it has to do with the CD player getting too hot. It seems to work better in cooler weather, and not shut down as often. After a period of time in the off mode it works again.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

had same problem and worse, needed a new head unit.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the same problem, too, click of death when I turn on the car and intermittant failure to play CDs. Sometimes locks up the CD player so bad I can't even use the radio, which really ticks me off. I hate that we can't just replace the head unit easily with an aftermarket unit

I usually use my mp3 player/fm transmitter instead of CDs. Becker said to send it in for repair.

Last edited by sjfehr; 09-12-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem, too, click of death when I turn on the car and intermittant failure to play CDs. Sometimes locks up the CD player so bad I can't even use the radio, which really ticks me off. I hate that we can't just replace the head unit easily with an aftermarket unit

I usually use my mp3 player/fm transmitter instead of CDs. Becker said to send it in for repair.
When through the same thing. When Becker wouldn't give me an estimate on the repair, which I imagine they do a lot of since there is a prevalance of threads like this, that was enough to push me to get a Dension adapter so I could use my iPhone. Now I never listen to CDs. The Becker makes no noises and operates just fine with no CDs in it.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Becker quoted me $40 to evaluate and somewhere around $220 and 1 week to fix it. (It's a year old price quote, btw.) Figure that you can't sell your car until you get it fixed- might as well fix it now and enjoy it for the next 5 years instead of suffering through and fixing it at the last minute.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/shipp...info/index.htm

Has anyone had this fixed? What exactly is wrong in there, is it something that's DIYable?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM
HansFredrik
Intermediate

The Dension looks really nice, but $400 is a bit much. But my FM transmitter works pretty well, changing songs isn't as easy, but it works.

Quick Reply: CDR 23 Issue