Sponsored by:

KW variant3 & GT3 sways

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
thanks... thats very informative.... so what DL are you using?
I switched to HR front ARB with stock drop links. You should check with Ira at Tarett, as he has a SWEET setup now with the GT3 sways!!

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Himself, nice and clean looking Mk1. That front bumper looks great.
Thanks! All Ruf parts

-td
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Does anyone have any other e-mail adress to Arlan Motorsport than info@arlan....

I've tried to contact them for few days without success, and I really need those sway bar mounts pictured earlier in this thread!

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Does anyone have any other e-mail adress to Arlan Motorsport than info@arlan....

I've tried to contact them for few days without success, and I really need those sway bar mounts pictured earlier in this thread!
Answer to myself:

Hello Petri,

Thank you for your interest in the Arlan Motorsport products.

We have just sold our motorsports parts business and it is now operating under “Chase This Motorsports” in Chicago, IL USA

To obtain the part you requested please contact Chase Kaplan at porschedockaplan@gmail.com and he will be able to assist you with providing this part. You may reach him by telephone at: 1 847 987-9987 (US Central Standard Time).

Best Regards,

Dave

Dave Bottom

Arlan Motorsport
3442-C Empresa Drive
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
But in my experience, the short drop links are putting a square peg in a round hole so the GT3 bar can work.

-td
TD -

In your comment above, are you including the Tarett drop links in that? Or are you referencing "stock" short DLs? I'm assuming that the Tarett DLs isolate the load from steering angle, right?

Thanks - you're a veritable fountain of suspension tuning knowledge!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eDoug
TD -

In your comment above, are you including the Tarett drop links in that? Or are you referencing "stock" short DLs?
Yes. Tarret, AP, etc. Stock drop links are actually long. Maybe 1.25-1.5X the length of the "normal" aftermarket links used with GT3 sway bars. These mount to the pinch bolt. Notice how short the links are in the second picture.
Name:  LinkLocation.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  33.7 KB

I'm assuming that the Tarett DLs isolate the load from steering angle, right?
Tarret now offers a modified link with a shock collar that resolves the geometry issue. As you can see below, they use a modified collar and longer links. Although these are not listed on Tarett's website yet, they are being distributed to the Spec Boxster folks and are spec boxster legal. Since the Boxster and 996 have the same front ends, they work for our cars as well. Also, as Fission mentioned, Arlan also has a shock mounted support. I believe he has had great success with them.
Name:  Tarret_Collar.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  97.5 KB

-td
Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tarret now offers a modified link with a shock collar that resolves the geometry issue. As you can see below, they use a modified collar and longer links. Although these are not listed on Tarett's website yet, they are being distributed to the Spec Boxster folks and are spec boxster legal. Since the Boxster and 996 have the same front ends, they work for our cars as well. Also, as Fission mentioned, Arlan also has a shock mounted support. I believe he has had great success with them.
Attachment 356823

-td
Okay - compelling. Especially since my new short DLs were installed yesterday! I talked to Ira and the new links (pictured) with the shock-mounted bracket are on their way! He's a great guy - will credit me once I send the other links back to him. Also, my shop has agreed to do the swap at a reduced rate - which is way, way cool because this is such a big deal.

Shameless plug for Tarett Engineering:
Tarett Engineering

Another shameless plug for German Motor Werks in Asheville, NC:
German Motor Werks - Asheville, NC

As long as I'm going to all this extra trouble, makes sense to do it right.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eDoug
Okay - compelling. Especially since my new short DLs were installed yesterday! I talked to Ira and the new links (pictured) with the shock-mounted bracket are on their way! He's a great guy - will credit me once I send the other links back to him. Also, my shop has agreed to do the swap at a reduced rate - which is way, way cool because this is such a big deal.

As long as I'm going to all this extra trouble, makes sense to do it right.
Ira is a great help! Tarret rocks. Next time, hit him up for blade adjustable sways for the 996. lol.

-td
Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Final installed set-up differs slightly from the topic:

*Bilstein Cup Car 3-way adjustable coilovers, re-valved for GT3 RS springs
*GT3 adjustable sways F/R
*GT3 front strut upper mounts
*GT3 adjustable control arms F/R
*GT2 wheel carriers
*997 turbo brakes F/R ( dimensionally = GT3 mkII brakes )
*SS braided brake hoses

Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Very nice! Final product looks great and should work awesome together! Drop some GT3 Euro seats and a roll bar and you should be a track monster

What drop links did you end up with?

In the future, if you have brake cooling issues, you might consider adding GT3 brake ducts, as well internal air scoops.

-td
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Very nice! Final product looks great and should work awesome together! Drop some GT3 Euro seats and a roll bar and you should be a track monster

What drop links did you end up with?

In the future, if you have brake cooling issues, you might consider adding GT3 brake ducts, as well internal air scoops.

-td
Thanks, I tried to use OEM parts as much as possible. The cas has now sports seats ( feels reasonably good also at track ), and I must keep the back seat for occasional child transportation.

Drop links are OEM GT3, brackets from Arlan Motorsports ( nowadays Chase this motorsport ).

Brake cooling will be upgraded for next track season.

Pete

Last edited by pete95zhn; 08-19-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must keep the back seat for occasional child transportation.
I suppose the young ladies of your family won't fit backseat any longer, or have you and Laura planned some "evening stars"

Quick Reply: KW variant3 & GT3 sways