Sponsored by:

horn problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question horn problems

I have a 00 C4 in which the horn started acting up. It became sensitive on the left side with minimum pressure. Yesterday, it just stopped working. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse, then tried to blow the horn to no avail. I rechecked the fuse and it was blown. When I use the alarm, I hear the beap, but no traffic horn. any suggestions? thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I thought I read something recently on Renntech about the horn relays going bad easily. Pop over there and Search.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It probably needs the horn/airbag retaining frame in the steering wheel. The four spoke steering wheel was notorious for this. 993 and early 996. usally the symptom was the horn would sound under heavy braking, would freak people out. part number is 993-347-088-01. The rubber bushings wear out, yours is most likely shorted to ground, causing the fuse to blow.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Default reply

thanks for your replys. I will start with both of these. If it is the horn relay, where is that located. Also, if it's the airbag frame, is it a DIY? Called my local Indy and he said something about the frame as well. He wanted about $260 parts and labor. I would much rather do it my self. Is it trickey dealing with the airbag?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:46 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the airbag can be a little tricky sometimes. You need a T-30 torx at least 50 mm long. There are 2 holes in the back of the steering wheel, insert torx driver into holes, fumble around until you engauge the torx bit. Now the screws can be pretty tight, so what I do is I have a snap-on torx driver that has a hex portion at the base, using a 3/8 box end wrench I break them loose. What ever you do, DO NOT round out the torx head, or you will be SOL. If you get this far, loosen the two torx screws, now you can either disconnect the battery at this time or just turn the key off, for saftey reasons I would advise you discconect the battery, but if you like to live life on the wild side just turn the key off. Pull the airbag unit away from the wheel, disconnect the airbag. (reason for battery disconnect). Now the frame is now visible. I think it is held in with 18 or 19mm bolts(4 of them). pull the wire off the frame. Now you will see that the torx screws that hold the airbag in are placed between the frame and wheel, make shure the return to there home when you install the new frame. Perform the above steps in reverse order, install new fuse and you should bo good to go.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Thumbs down reply

Thank you Porsche52 for the step by step. Will post results tomorrow when I have time to do it.

Quick Reply: horn problems