996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Love

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM
maci911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

insecurity and definatly lack of nurturing.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

the funny thing is.... in the real world, when you bump into a 993 owner (or any model owner) at a get together, noone talks sh*t like that. Everyone is happy cause they are among brothers. They could only talk like that in forums... shows what kind of person they are.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Interesting read...

I don't understand the hostility and the "we-are-better-than-them" attitude...

There are as many 996/997s in my neighborhood as there are 993s (I have to admit, I'm unsophisticated enough that all those air-cooled Pcars are 993s to me...) and we all wave to each other on the road... a common interest in Porsche cars are enough to solicit and return a smile and a wave...

Oh well... I guess that's why they segregate the sub-forums...

Rudy
Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
the funny thing is.... in the real world, when you bump into a 993 owner (or any model owner) at a get together, noone talks sh*t like that. Everyone is happy cause they are among brothers. They could only talk like that in forums... shows what kind of person they are.
Originally Posted by rudy1024
Interesting read...

I don't understand the hostility and the "we-are-better-than-them" attitude...

There are as many 996/997s in my neighborhood as there are 993s (I have to admit, I'm unsophisticated enough that all those air-cooled Pcars are 993s to me...) and we all wave to each other on the road... a common interest in Porsche cars are enough to solicit and return a smile and a wave...

Oh well... I guess that's why they segregate the sub-forums...

Rudy
You nailed it. I don't get it either. I've never met a 993 owner that disparages 996s, but they appear to love to do so here at RL.

Threads like that just make them look ignorant and insecure through broad-brush generalizations that could be made about any group of people.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

forum affiliation breeds contempt for other forums in general, and certainly a superior performing vehicle will breed competition from the slower, yet better looking (imho at least exterior) sibling.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Well, on a much brighter note, I was reading other websites and other forums about the new CAFE requirements coming to us in the next few years. You say that is bad? No, I say it is very good news. Particularly for the unloved, oft-insulted, beleaguered (sp?) 996 owner, of which I am very happily one. We have been spit on by the narrow Porsche generation of aircooled 911 owners. I say narrow, not narrow minded, because when you look at total Porsche sales since the introduction of the 924 and 928 in the mid-70's (now over 30 years past), watercooled Porsche production/sales collectively far outstripped aircooled production/sales in any given year. So the aircooled 911 folks are really a minority around here. Let them cry foul. THEY were the ones left to rot by the factory, not us.
But back to my point about the CAFE thing, the internet responses all blame the Liberals and such for this and that. I couldn't care less. The DIAMOND that I see here for all of us on the 996 Forum is that the common concensus of opinion on the internet is that folks won't buy the new lighter cars that are short on power. They want HP cars in the future, too. So the common response is they are going to buy those V8's and such now because their only choice going forward in a few years will be USED CARS.
That is where my mind has wandered off, and I said to myself, "Self. I own one of those HP cars now. No point to hurry on down to the dealership, when if I hang in there a bit longer (and I will) the folks that are bringing us the 39 MPG CAFE requirement for new cars, will deliver us to a future of high demand, and thus high resale prices, for used performance cars (of which we will be part)."
My own take on the 993 vs 996 crap is that I have owned at least one of every generation 911 since the beginning, several 356's before that, and a 951, along the way, and in every case, I valued the newer technology and engineering (see, I even like the 997 guys), but the bottom line is that watercooled engines make cabin heat and airconditioning a WHOLE LOT BETTER than aircooled cars.
And today's 997S makes about a hundred more normally aspirated horsepower than any 993 I ever owned. But, for financial reasons I remain in my 996 (I have had 4 996's so I know what I like), and in a few years, the USED Gen II 997's will make a fine and substantial upgrade at a fraction of the original price.

Ferrucio Lamborghini had a famous quote about why his cars have such restricted rear visibility, "Because, what is behind you does not matter." I think that applies nicely to the 993 crowd.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I feel bad for them....I guess they will never own anything beyong '97
Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that the ignorance of the owner that the OP referred to is b/c these are newer cars. Of course you're more likely to know about your car when ur buying what is essentially a classic car. I'm sure the same could be said for old Mustangs, Chargers, etc.

Maybe one day when they no loner make water cooled cars, we will be just as crotchety.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

I think I might just link to that thread the next time someone asks why drivers of certain models don't bother waving.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Tommy Carrera
Advanced

Default I always ask snooty 993 owners the same three questions...

1) You ever drove your 911 across NC via I-40 in one day at an avg speed over 90 in August? There answer is no..because you couldn't. The damn thing would seize about Greensboro.

2) Does your air conditioning actually work? Or does it just blow tepid air around?

3) If you get stuck in a traffic jam, what do you do? Turn the car off and push it? Dang sure can't sit and let it idle for 20-30 minutes.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
omnipresent
Racer

I drove a 993 when I had my 951 with various suspension mods, chip to match turbo and exhaust mods, and was very underwhelmed... When I bought my 996 C4S, it was with intent of not getting rid of it for anything but a 997tt. Recently I considered adding 951 or 993 to the stable, then took my car out and asked "but why?"
Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Things have settled down over there, we should do the same and stop feeling like victims. We have to try and take the high road as we are obviously more enligthened. Our cars aren't as pretty, but they are better in every metric and they know that. They are outgunned performance wise so they play the classic card. They were out of line claiming that 996 owners are ignorant, and I think they realize that.

Fact is, the 993 is a classic piece if machinery in a way that the 996 may never be and that's undeniably part of the attraction.

I drove one recently while looking for my next car. It was disappointing. I knew if I threw enough Euros at it it would be a decent car, but why the hell would I when there's MkII 996 available at wholesale prices? Plus which - I'm daily driving baby and there's no one can claim their 993 is better than a 996 at that game.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
I drove one recently while looking for my next car. It was disappointing. I knew if I threw enough Euros at it it would be a decent car, but why the hell would I when there's MkII 996 available at wholesale prices? Plus which - I'm daily driving baby and there's no one can claim their 993 is better than a 996 at that game.
I had 993 in my head for the past few years until these prices convinced me that the 996 was the bargain of the decade. So maybe an air-cooled will be a toy in my future but for now my car is exactly what I was looking for in a daily-driver.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I think it's like how girls get bitchy when a new girl shows up and starts getting all the attention. They feel insecure and inferior about their slow, impractical cars, so they make fun of ours having water, or different headlights, or doors that don't go "thunk".

996ers don't make fun of 993s much. We don't care about their cars because we are happy with our own and don't feel threatened in any way by them.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say i saw a 993T the other day on the way to work and damn it was beautiful. Really got the blood going.

Quick Reply: 996 Love