Sponsored by:

How To Jack up a P-car

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How To Jack up a P-car

Ok guys, this seems to be a common question, and there doesn't seem to be any threads (that I could find) with concise information about how to properly jack up a 996/997.

We all know that if you jack from the rear jack-point (in front of the rear wheel), that whole side of the car will lift.
This enables a stand to be put under the front jack-point (behind the front wheel).
Do that to the other side and you have the fronts up.

Is this accepted as the "best" way for the fronts?

Rear:

Method 1: Jack up from the rear cross member if you have a low-pro jack.
Where is this? Can someone post a picture?
Then you can put stands under the rear jack-points.

Method 2 (not recommended?): Jack up from the engine, at the cast-in boss right behind the oil pan. (I found a picture of that). Then put stands under the rear jack-points.

How do you all recommend doing this safely for the person AND the car?
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm fairly certain the jacking point mentioned in Method 2 is showing in the Manual as the proper spot to gack the rear of the car from. (to get it on stands anyhow)

It's what I use when putting the car on stands.

Andy
Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You mention that jacking it up from the engine is "recommended". By whom? Porsche specifically states not to use the engine for jacking. You increase the risk of rupturing your motor mounts doing so. Cross member is safer.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The method you described is fine for getting the front up on jackstands.

I have used method 2 to get it up on jackstands for the rear on both my C4S and my Boxster, I would say about 3 or 4 times and have never had a problem but I pray every time I do it. It doesnt seem like a natural jacking point. I would feel more comfortable if a tech or someone who does this regularly chimes in.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You mention that jacking it up from the engine is "recommended". By whom? Porsche specifically states not to use the engine for jacking. You increase the risk of rupturing your motor mounts doing so. Cross member is safer.
I should have clarified: I saw it "recommended" by other forum users, here and on Pelican. I think someone folks on RennTech too, but I can't find the one I had a mental image of.

I can't imagine it's good to jack up your car by the engine mounts, but AudiOn19s says he saw it in the manual.

Audi, did you mean the actual Porsche manual?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I read that as well. Your lifting the whole back of the car and stressing the engine mounts when lifting this way. The mounts were *never* designed with this much pounds per sq inch in mind. Your pushing the motor up against them until they hit the limit of travel and when there is no more 'give' only then will the mass of the car rise off the floor. There may also be some localized pressure applied to the casting (area where the jack is pictured) that may be unwise as well, (not sure if this area could flex or crack).

Unless you use a four point hoist or other shop hoist - the only jacking points as listed in your manual are THE jacking points as shown in the manual. All other locations are not recommended by Porsche and you are at your own risk doing it any other way.

The cross member would be better then under the engine - except for the safety issue of the car sliding off the jack before you can get the floor stands under it. It's 'mostly' safe, but Porsche's lawyers don't handle 'mostly' well in printed manuals!
Just saying...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is possible to get the car on jackstands only jacking at the corners, but it incredibly dangerous given the twisting and shifting the chassis does during the process.

So, you have to decide for yourself if you want the car on jackstands--given only a floor jack to get it there--what's the safest and least damaging way to do it.

I have very little tolerance for people who say you CAN'T do something, who do not at the same time suggest an better method by which you CAN do it.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb HTH

This is my process, which may be different from yours since mine is a little lower. YMMV, Not responsible, blah blah blah

1. Using the rear jack point lift the side enough to put 1 or 2 sections of 2x4 under the rear tires

2. Continue lifting until a jack stand can be placed under the front jack point of the same side

3. Slowly lower car onto front jack stand and so that the rear tires are resting on the 2x4 section
4. Move to the other side and repeat Step 1-3
5. Now, both fronts jack points should be on jack stands and the rears should be sitting on the 2x4s

6. This is where I lift the entire rear end from the rear cross member with my long and low jack
7. Lift enough to place your jack stands quickly, but safely under the rear jack points
8. Lower slowly checking the placement of the rear jack points on the jack stands

9. Ready to work

My Jack; Arcan Quick Lift Service Jack — 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35

My Jackstands; ESCO 3 Ton

I'm very happy with both. I bought my stands from Steve @ Ultimate Garage but he no longer carries them.

Note: I would not try this method with anything but flat top / rubber jackstands
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
The cross member would be better then under the engine - except for the safety issue of the car sliding off the jack before you can get the floor stands under it. It's 'mostly' safe, but Porsche's lawyers don't handle 'mostly' well in printed manuals!
Just saying...
I agree.
Which cross member and where? What I see underneath look like they'll bend easily.

Oh yeah, and there's no need to apologize for your SV!
I recognized it in your pict, then saw your sig file about it. Lol!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
This is my process, which may be different from yours since mine is a little lower. YMMV, Not responsible, blah blah blah

1. Using the rear jack point lift the side enough to put 1 or 2 sections of 2x4 under the rear tires
2. Continue lifting until a jack stand can be placed under the front jack point of the same side
3. Slowly lower car onto front jack stand and so that the rear tires are resting on the 2x4 section
4. Move to the other side and repeat Step 1-3
5. Now, both fronts jack points should be on jack stands and the rears should be sitting on the 2x4s

6. This is where I lift the entire rear end from the rear cross member with my long and low jack
7. Lift enough to place your jack stands quickly, but safely under the rear jack points
8. Lower slowly checking the placement of the rear jack points on the jack stands

9. Ready to work

My Jack; Arcan Quick Lift Service Jack — 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35
My Jackstands; ESCO 3 Ton

I'm very happy with both. I bought my stands from Steve @ Ultimate Garage but he no longer carries them.

Nice!! Thanks Whitey. Great set of picts.

Question: how high from the floor is your car, measured to the jack points (or, how tall are those stands)?

Question: do you have a pict of the cross member? Do you put the jack in directly from the rear?

BTW, love the clean garage.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by peavynation
Nice!! Thanks Whitey. Great set of picts.

Question: how high from the floor is your car, measured to the jack points (or, how tall are those stands)?

Question: do you have a pict of the cross member? Do you put the jack in directly from the rear?

BTW, love the clean garage.
Thanks for the compliments.

My C4S is ~25.5” from the bottom of the each fender wheel well to the floor. This is not the factory way to measure height, but this is how I wanted the car set up.

The stands in that picture are at their lowest setting; not sure what that is. When I did my X/Cat pipe install recently, I went higher in the rear. The C4S is rock solid on those jackstands; not a worry.

No pic of the cross member, but its easy to see. Peak down and its the big aluminum bar just in front of the engine, towards the front of the car.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

For my 993, I had these made for a bit of extra security. Luckily, the 996 has holes in the jack points as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Nice. Are those ESCOs as well or AC Hydraulics?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

I thought they were the same--just based on mfg date? These are branded AC Hydraulic.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by RallyJon
For my 993, I had these made for a bit of extra security. Luckily, the 996 has holes in the jack points as well.

I like it Jon, that bolt up top will definitely be good at keeping the jackpoint from slipping off. I dig.

You said you had them "made", but I'm assuming you bought the stands and modified them by adding the bolts, or by fabbing new post inserts with the bolt up top and the flat. I'd like to get a set. Can you direct us to their maker?

Quick Reply: How To Jack up a P-car