996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM
krafty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know the rev limiter was set at 7,400 rpms, but it is !
Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by krafty
I didn't know the rev limiter was set at 7,400 rpms, but it is !
That's not a rev limiter, it's an aural shift indicator!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:11 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In my 04 Targa, I found out that if you apply pressure to the gas pedal the car goes really fast. Same thing happens in my 986 S, just not as fast

Also if you push hard on the brake pedal the car stops really fast
The following users liked this post:
Tipper (07-02-2020)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levdeb
Awesome forum! I just got my 2003 C4 Cabrio a couple weeks ago and have 2 "did you know?" items:

1. If you have a kid (we have a 6 year old), you can get a cool booster seat from Walmart for only $12 that fits perfectly in the back (almost like Porsche designed it!). And it comes in "Hot Rod Flame" colors, so it totally matches...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Ju...t-Rod/16939672

2. It will only take one sunny day on the road till someone in a new Camaro will try to race you...

Thanks for the great tips!
Rear transmission bump between seats doubles as a nice pillow for long drive with the little ones.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM
krafty
Intermediate

If you put the key in the drivers door, and turn to the lock position, and hold it there, it will close the windows and sunroof. That'sa nice !
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by krafty
If you put the key in the drivers door, and turn to the lock position, and hold it there, it will close the windows and sunroof. That'sa nice !
For giggles, try it the other way with the car locked and see what happens. On a targa it even opens/closes the targa roof.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Foxtrot 911
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ***NEW 996 fact***

I just read through close to 400 of the most amazing facts, and some banter , and realized I have one that hasn't been mentioned.

Some 996's are prone to a "2nd-gear pop-out issue". This is a $200 fix and can be done with the engine still in the car. When shifting into the 2nd gear the shifter will sometimes feel like it seats into the gear but as soon as you release the clutch and give it some gas the shifter will pop-out. If you hold your hand on the shifter (like many of us do) this will cause a grinding sound.

DO NOT force this into gear. Hopefully you haven't damaged the gear itself as this detent replacement will not correct an already problematic issue.

This site gives insight and the part that is needed to buy on eBay and how to do it. My 99 996 has experienced this and I ordered the part for it yesterday. I'll be home from my deployment in a couple of weeks and I'll be switching this out and correcting my issue.

http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-TRAN...-/151307607531

Big shout out to my local PCA members for showing me this!
The following 2 users liked this post by Foxtrot 911:
Jengah (10-15-2020), Projekt EPiK (07-23-2020)
Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Hutbed
5th Gear

For the others out there who turn their own wrenches- disconnecting a door air bag (even if you reconnect and have the key out the whole time) will trip the airbag warning light. I had mine reset by the dealer, not sure if other methods will work.
Oil changes can be done without lifting the car as long as you have a shallow-ish drain container.
For Cabriolet owners: there's a special red-handled, very long allen wrench tucked away for EMERGENCY top raising (via the assembly behind the rear seat wall cover)... this WILL throw off all the micro switch adjustment and require a lengthy dealer visit.
Decent rear tires will probably be rated under 15,000 miles, and if you're driving it right, that's optimistic.
This is an excellent thread, thank you to all contributors. Here's my 2000 C2 I bought last year.
Name:  porsche front.jpg
Views: 3036
Size:  130.2 KB
Old 11-15-2014, 01:00 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

With a Tiptronic in auto mode, if you blip the throttle, it will downshift to the lowest gear that is safe for your current speed
Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my 996 for 9 months and never realized that you can pull on the cup holder and a spot for a second cup appears. I grinned a bit when I learned this yesterday.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM
jhenderson999
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Petersa9
Originally Posted by levdeb
Awesome forum! I just got my 2003 C4 Cabrio a couple weeks ago and have 2 "did you know?" items:

1. If you have a kid (we have a 6 year old), you can get a cool booster seat from Walmart for only $12 that fits perfectly in the back (almost like Porsche designed it!). And it comes in "Hot Rod Flame" colors, so it totally matches...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Ju...t-Rod/16939672

Thanks for the great tips!
Rear transmission bump between seats doubles as a nice pillow for long drive with the little ones.
My 5 year old has discovered the middle pillow already, and thanks to @levdeb for the Harmony seat link. I've learned so much from this post, mostly to RTFM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:08 PM
normfalick
5th Gear

First, Toronto is right. My car is a car magnet in a parking lot. I park between empty spots all the time and come back only to find someone parking right next to me. Drives me nuts.

Second, the air/oil separator on 996s is not made for the G forces created on the track by using track tires.
Funny, I thought Porsche's were built for this kind of driving. That said, we replaced mine with a AOS meant for a GT3, much bigger and more expensive, but it works.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:27 PM
sabadabadoo
3rd Gear

After refueling in a 996, the electronic oil level gauge comes on, but you can see the level anytime by inserting key in ignition, and turning it to the second setting where all the warning lights come to life, and wait till the count down timer reaches 0 on the right hand display where you usually see the oil level indicator ( anywhere from 5 seconds if car has been sitting, to an hour if you just came from a hot lap around the track).

A second hint, In a locked 996 with an aero kit, and a dead battery, the dealer wanted me to tow car to him, since reaching the cable to unlock either front or back hoods, was next to impossible.

I ended up using a $10 gizmo that charges battery through the cigarette lighter, and put enough charge to activate the central lock, and unlock the hood.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:28 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sabadabadoo
After refueling in a 996, the electronic oil level gauge comes on, but you can see the level anytime by inserting key in ignition, and turning it to the second setting where all the warning lights come to life, and wait till the count down timer reaches 0 on the right hand display where you usually see the oil level indicator ( anywhere from 5 seconds if car has been sitting, to an hour if you just came from a hot lap around the track).

don't people read the owners manual???
Old 12-07-2014, 12:11 PM
sabadabadoo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JayG
don't people read the owners manual???
You will be surprised & dismayed imho.

Does anyone know the purpose of the oval cover in the dashboard to the left of the headlight switch ? ( I saw three or four wires clip to the inside, when I took apart the driver side vent in the process of doing diagnostics on the switch)

Quick Reply: The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread