Sponsored by:

just installed ebay headers...look

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 AM
laproscopic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have in excess of 20,000 miles on these X51 headers, as cleaned up.

Is that Laparoscopic, or Laproscopic? (The first is the way we spell it in medical circles).
If clinically speaking the headers have held, then the port job is proven in this case. However n=1 and further retrospective analysis would be helpfull.

Im in the circle and unfortunatly spell accordingly.

And I agree the parts are a little steep for these cars. But then again the markets determine the value and the markets have spoken.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The question is, when will the Chinese start selling a replacement M96 engine ion ebay for 500 bucks

Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
The question is, when will the Chinese start selling a replacement M96 engine ion ebay for 500 bucks

Stop thinking so small. For a few more RMB China will copy/reverse engineer and manufacture a whole car!!

Behold...
Attached Images     
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM
EastBay
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When I decided to put the X51 headers on my 06 997S I found that the OEM X51 headers were not that clean inside. The original 3.8 headers were cleaner (from a flow perspective). Prior to installing them I spent some time cleaning them up to improve the flow. I think that aspect of new or different headers is important. I made the change for the sound mostly, and most of us would find that in order to objectively collect pre and post change dyno numbers will find that it's quite difficult, what with all the variables.

3.8 headers compared to the X51 headers

Before port cleaning

After port cleaning

Port cleaning tools
those x51 headers look suspiciously like 3.4 stockers
Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA

so lapro= can you measure the tube diameter on both oem and the "ebay" header primarys? it took 3 pages for all these wise guys to ask? that should be the first thing asked when debating the worthiness of a good header. ive been hot rodding since i was in high school and header tech is still the exact same people! geez i cant be the oldest fart in here?

good header= smooth flow/diameter (and build quality of course)
oh and ide like to see the inside of the tubes, similar to the pics you took of the oem's
Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 AM
laproscopic
Track Day

good point

here is the only pic i have of the flange to tube transition. its hard to see but the transition is clean. every transition has been cleaned up on the chinese headers i recieved.

ill measure the tubes tom. but they looked approx the same
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

So,I wiggle out of a date Friday night to put the headers on. Drivers side bol tholes will not line up ! Damn #$^% , 3 *%@# hours,stock off-not on-stock on-stock off -not on-off-stock back on. I am bummed !
Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 PM
laproscopic
Track Day

bummer bro

perhaps I have the only good set in North America. Or....perhaps your pcar wasn't put together properly. (LOL)

which holes dont line up? Is it the engine flange or the cat side flange? or do both line up on their own off the car but not on the car? when I did mine the cat side was a bit tight. And dont do this without a buddy. (Invite the wife/girlfriend...no dont)

perhaps a few of the holes could use a little enlarging with a larger bit or a few strokes with a file.

I measured the primaries on the chinese headers and on the oe header. they are bothe the same: 2 5/8 inch
Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Flange was perfect,a couple center holes were perfect on the car,the end holes not close.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 AM
laproscopic
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Flange was perfect,a couple center holes were perfect on the car,the end holes not close.
Run one size larger bit through the end holes and you're there.

Quick Reply: just installed ebay headers...look