Sponsored by:

Finally pulled the trigger on a new HU

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Finally pulled the trigger on a new HU

It is really tough to find a decent looking aftermarket HU with the right features. I bought the Pioneer Premier DEH-P710BT.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Ima...10BT-f_mt.jpeg

Not the look I was in search of, but I really needed something with high quality bluetooth that worked well with the iPhone. The lights are blue, which sucks, but I think the look is subdued enough that the blues won't be over powering. It got great reviews too. To be honest I already have a little buyer's remorse and I'm just hoping that when I get it in there the value of the functionality will out weigh the aftermarket looks.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you intend to get this installed? Will Crutchfield be able to provide you with the necessary plugs so that it's "plug and play"? Or will you need to hire someone to cut wires?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

to bad its not red ilum.... nice unit though...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
How do you intend to get this installed? Will Crutchfield be able to provide you with the necessary plugs so that it's "plug and play"? Or will you need to hire someone to cut wires?
The cool thing about Crutchfield is that they include everything you need at list price. No installation kit is required, but they do include the wiring harness and vehicle specific instructions.

I think I will do the install myself, but thought about taking it to best buy too. The only challenging thing will be running the microphone for the phone.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
The cool thing about Crutchfield is that they include everything you need at list price. No installation kit is required, but they do include the wiring harness and vehicle specific instructions.

I think I will do the install myself, but thought about taking it to best buy too. The only challenging thing will be running the microphone for the phone.

Left of the battery gauge is were the stock microphone is located...

Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

but thought about taking it to best buy too.
Give it a go yourself. There are plenty of us here that can lend a hand. I spent 3 weeks installing my system, and got pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the stock setup. Are you going to add amplifiers and aftermarket speakers?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Please don't take it to BB. If you decide not to do it yourself, you might be able to find a Tweeter near you to do a quality install. When I lived in Charlotte the one at University did some really excellent work for me and a couple other friends
Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

When I go into Crutchfield, my "2004 911 C4S" is not part of their list. It does exist for 2003 911's but then it says that "In dash stereos = not researched". Therefore, I assume that they can't provide you with "plug and play" wiring or installation kit...

Can you PDF the install instructions so we can see if they are applicable to 2004's?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mabuhay,

A 2004 is the MOST bus (03+), It wont just wire up like a 02 and older car.
Do a search on MOST, there is plenty of info, you wont be happy.

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 11-11-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

stock mic placement is not big enough. this one comes with a dual mic for better noise canceling, which is one of the reasons I chose this one.

No amps or speakers on this go around. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the support

I would definitely do Tweeter over BB, but Tweeter went out of business last summer.

...sorry, haven't figured out the multiple quote thing yet.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

stock mic placement is not big enough. this one comes with a dual mic for better noise canceling, which is one of the reasons I chose this one.

No amps or speakers on this go around. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the support

I would definitely do Tweeter over BB, but Tweeter went out of business last summer.

...sorry, haven't figured out the multiple quote thing yet.
Congrats. I switched my HU to a double DIN AVIC unit. It comes with customizable color scheme - in fact you can fiddle with the RGB spectrum to match your dash EXACTLY. It looks factory.

I also recommend you buy this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320407188102

The crutchfield harness do NOT work for a Porsche.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:57 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Thanks roadsession. Mine is a single DIN that just slides in where the old one comes out. I'm hoping the harness works. Remember I have a MY2000 so it is the less complicated system. I hope that makes a difference. I'll be pissed if it doesn't.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks roadsession. Mine is a single DIN that just slides in where the old one comes out. I'm hoping the harness works. Remember I have a MY2000 so it is the less complicated system. I hope that makes a difference. I'll be pissed if it doesn't.
Ahhh...that helps enormously.
I think the SINGLE DIN may work. do you have Bose? If you do you will need a set of pins for the speaker level outputs to the Bose unit. Most head unit harnesses have standard RCA outputs and speaker level outputs. You'll need to make sure the harness has the speaker level outputs.

You could do what I usually do - just try it first - and if it doesn't work, then deal with it later :-)

BTW I placed my mike on top of the steering column cloest to the gauge cluster. It's out of of the way and not noticeable and sound clarity is fine according to the other end...
Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

No Bose, I don't think they had that option on the 2000, the option code is for "Hi-Fi Sound System".

Thanks for the intel on the mic. That's where I really want to put it especially on a cab.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

For the wire harness, call Rod Birch at http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/. He supplied me a wire harness and radio antenna adaptor (which I still have in the package, if you need it). I also have photos of the harness, along with where each wire should be connected. My cab is also a 2000 with the "hi-fi" sound. I really need to post pics of my install... I've been saying this for over a month now.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger on a new HU