Sponsored by:

Turbo Scavenger Pump/Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Bobw56
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Scavenger Pump/Cover

Hello everyone, I am searching for a part for my 996 Turbo. I am leaking oil from the Turbo Scavenger Pump cover (#9961071421R). I need to replace it, but am being told by Porsche I cannot buy just the cover. They want me to buy the entire pump assembly (#9961061914R). $$$$$$$$$$

Does anyone have a used pump or cover? Or know where I might find one?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

cant you just re-seal it?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Bobw56
Intermediate

Default Pump Seal

I do not think so. The seal relies on an O ring fitting over a circular part of the pump cover. The metal around the O ring is damaged and the O ring itself looks bad (probably why it leaked). I would hate to put a new O ring in with what appears to be a damaged base/cover.

I tried to attach pictures to show the issue.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Bobw56
Intermediate

Cannot see my pictures, so I guess I do not know how to do that.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
rb101
Racer

Try posting them on flicker or something. You might be able to get a good machine shop repair it.

Rick
99 996C4
87 944S
Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you posted on the turbo forum ?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobw56
Cannot see my pictures, so I guess I do not know how to do that.
Ask and ye shall receive!

Here are my "can't miss" instructions for posting a pic. These instructions have NEVER failed to help someone post pics, so the pressure is on YOU to keep my string alive!

All words shown in BOLD indicate buttons. If you are just doing a "Quick Reply" you will have to click on Go Advanced button. Then follow the steps below:

Down below the part of the screen where you type the text and below the Submit Reply, the Preview Post, and Spell Check buttons, there is a Miscellaneous Options section followed by an Attach Files section.

In the Attach Files section, click on the Manage Attachments button.

You will now get a pop-up window. There are 3 buttons Browse, Upload, and Close this Window.

Click on the Browse button and now (in a new pop-up window) you can search on your PC to locate the pic you want to attach. Click on the name of the file you want and then click the Open button. You can click on the next Browse button to select another pic. After you have finished selecting your pics, click on the Upload button. After the file(s) has been uploaded, click on the Close this Window button.

After you click on the Close this Window, you will be back to the original "message" screen. Your pic file should be listed just above the Manage Attachments button.

If you are finished typing the text, you can click on the Submit Reply button and everyone will be able to see your great looking P-car!

If your pics are too large, you can resize them with MS Paint, or PhotoShop software, or you can do it online at this web site. http://www.resize2mail.com/
Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobw56
I do not think so. The seal relies on an O ring fitting over a circular part of the pump cover. The metal around the O ring is damaged and the O ring itself looks bad (probably why it leaked). I would hate to put a new O ring in with what appears to be a damaged base/cover.

I tried to attach pictures to show the issue.
Can not say for certain without seeing condition of the o-ring groover and where it is in the pump, but if o-ring groove not too bad a new o-ring could have the unit oil tight again.

You can clean the o-ring with a fine and small file or diamond abrasive file-like thingie and smooth/polish the groove to remove any burrs/rough/sharp edges.

As long as the groove is complete so the o-ring can't get pulled out or pushed out by pressure it may seal just fine.

Might be worth a try. The scavenge pump shouldn't generate too much pressure even if that o-ring is on the pressure side of the pump.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Bobw56
Intermediate

Default Scavenger Pump O Ring

Ok, thanks for all the replies and the great directions on how to load pictures. hopefully you can see the issue I have with the pump cover. A new O ring might reseal, but it does not look good to me. Any other opitions.
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Forget it. You ain't going to polish that out.. What the heck happened?

In another life that could be welded up and remachined but that was another life.

Time for a new cover and if the cover not sold separately time for whatever that bolts to, is my WAG.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
nghiaho58
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test
Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

isnt the scavenge pump the same on the gt3 engine?..... maybe you can go that route and post a wtb in the wtb/gt3 section.... I assume you tried pelican.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Bobw56
Intermediate

Thanks for the second opinion. I agree and am not sure what made that cover disintegrate like that. The bottom line is I need a different cover and was hoping someone may have one laying around they needed to get rid of.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
D_Nyholm
Track Day

WHat price did they give you for the new scavenge pump? Also, how hard was it to remove that? Is this the pump right by the crank pulley? I looked at mine the other day as i have a leak from a similar area and I can't see how you would get access without removing the whole motor. The exhaust can drop, but then there is a that metal frame around everything back there. It looks like it goes to the motor mounts at the top??

Quick Reply: Turbo Scavenger Pump/Cover