Coolant Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
bxtech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Questions!

Hello all,

I've done some online reading/research including a search on this site regarding different types of coolant to be used in a 996. There seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information.

- Some say that the older green/yellow factory coolant cannot be mixed with the new pink colored stuff........others say it's okay to mix including the Porsche dealer.

- Some also say that the green Audi/VW factory coolant is compatible with the older green/yellow Porsche coolant, but others say that it's not!

- Some people say that any "lifetime" coolant can be mixed and used with the factory Porsche coolant as long as it is the "OAT" (Organic Acid Technology) type coolant.

My questions are:

- Who has mixed the older green/yellow Porsche coolant with the new pink stuff? Any problems?

- Who has actually used the Audi/VW coolant? Any problems?

- Has anyone used and mixed the aftermarket "lifetime" OAT coolant with the factory Porsche coolant? Any problems?

I was recommended this Peak "lifetime" OAT coolant. They say that it can be mixed and should cause no problems. What do you guys think?

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_g...time_5050.html

Or, I was planning to use:

Havoline DEX-COOL Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
Chevron DEX-COOL Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

This coolant will be mixing with the original green/yellow factory Porsche fill. It is virtually impossible to completely get every drop of the old coolant out of the system without complete disassembly!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
bxtech
Instructor

If anyone here visits the 6speedonline.com forum........here is a thread that is talking about this coolant issue:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-prestone.html

This particular post on that thread is from the Technical Manager at Prestone:

Hi,
I am the Technical Manager for Prestone coolants. Our all makes, all models coolant is compatible with your factory fill and will not change the color of your current coolant. I looked up the specs for the ELF factory fill, it is a OAT (Organic Acid technology) long life coolant exactly like the Prestone product I am recommending. Our product meets or exceeds all ASTM standards that Porsche requires. You can get it anywhere for around 10$ for premixed 50/50 and 12.50 for concentrate. If you do buy concentrate, make sure to only mix it with demineralized or deionized water. If you have any other questions, please email me at Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Many varied opinions out there but I stick with OEM stuff, or Pentosin G12 which is also sold at VW shops. They key is compatibility with aluminum components.

Maybe my coolant was replaced at some point but my C4S had pink coolant when I bought it.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 AM
nghiaho58
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with mt911sc. Just remember chemical reaction of non OEM coolant with OEM parts/seals/gaskets
Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

i was told not to Mix Green with Pink as it would turn into Jello... Most newer German cars use G12 Pink i think
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Peak lifetime mixes perfectly.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
bxtech
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone! Yes, there are A LOT of varying stories on this coolant issue. I've heard quite a bit about the "jelling" issue of mixing coolants........but have yet to run into someone with a firsthand experience. Has anyone out there actually had the "jelling" issue happen to them?? Or maybe one of you Porsche techs have seen it? Kinda seems to be one of those "Urban Legends"!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
bxtech
Instructor

I definitely don't want to be one of the people that have had the firshand experience with the "jelling"! I will take the advice of a number of people and stay with the factory coolant.........Just to be safe!

BTW, I managed to find some NOS factory green coolant!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, there are lots of stories and opinions, buy only one set of FACTS. Peak Lifetime will mix perfectly with any coolant and will provides equal protection in all engines.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Yes, there are lots of stories and opinions, buy only one set of FACTS. Peak Lifetime will mix perfectly with any coolant and will provides equal protection in all engines.
+1

Porsche and other expensive auto marques didn't reinvent the wheel when designing a cooling system and specing a coolant, they may, however have discovered an untapped source of cash, by rebranding, reformulating and relabeling common product. Confusing a mechanically challenged customer base as well as a new generation of techs seems the rule rather than the exception these days unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
+1

Porsche and other expensive auto marques didn't reinvent the wheel when designing a cooling system and specing a coolant, they may, however have discovered an untapped source of cash, by rebranding, reformulating and relabeling common product. Confusing a mechanically challenged customer base as well as a new generation of techs seems the rule rather than the exception these days unfortunately.
I hardly think Porsche considers coolant sales a source of cash to be tapped.

In fact, I daresay it probably costs Porsche more money to buy/stock/track the few bottles of coolant it sells than it makes even if the stuff had a 100% profit margin.

Since most owners only replace the stuff once maybe while they own their car just opting for the Porsche coolant takes some worry out of having the coolant replaced with some other brand.

The major source of mechanically challenged customers comes from those that seem to believe that every thing Porsche recommends or sells is somehow based on just sucking more money from the owner's pocket and as a result come up with yet some unproven and unbacked claim some other coolant is perfectly fine. Well, when these people are willing to accept responsibilty for my car's cooling system's peformance then they can tell me what coolant to use.

Until then, I'm sticking with Porsche antifreeze.

I mean every 4 years -- if anyone (but me) changes the coolant that frequently -- having to pay a few bucks more for antifreeze is not going to bankrupt anyone. And why put one's self through the bother of even fretting about which coolant to use? Seems so inane to me when the amount of money represented by the difference in price between Porsche antifreeze and some other brand/type is so small. I've probably spent more money at those coin operated gas station tire air filling pumps than I have for antifreeze for my Boxster these last 8 years and 228K miles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:33 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Peak lifetime for 3 years and 35,000 miles with no issues. Car is approaching 100,000 miles.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
I've used Peak lifetime for 3 years and 35,000 miles with no issues. Car is approaching 100,000 miles.
Sounds like a reasonable endorsement to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 AM
bfutch
Advanced

Everything I read says you can mix the Peak Global Lifetime Coolant with the original red Porsche Coolant. One problem, I can't locate this Peek Lifetime Coolant at any of the local parts houses or on line! Where are you purchasing this coolant?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used VW coolant without any issues. Recently I drained the entire coolant system and put in just distilled water and Redline water wetter. Found running temp to be lower than before.

But S. Cali don't freeze so I don't have to worry about using anti-freeze in the system.

Quick Reply: Coolant Questions!