Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivangene
the HTZR III's are a great tire/value

I enjoyed mine
+1.

I've had a couple of track days on mine and love them. I'm sure the Michelin's would be better on the track, but that little extra added performance a couple/few times a year, I'll pass on the extra money and save.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

fpena944,
I just went through the Sumitomo - Hankook debate with myself. My Hankooks were delivered this afternoon. I have to lube up my tire irons those rears look like they are going to be a bear. I might break down and bring them to a shop.

How many miles are on your Michelin fronts? What year manufacture date? I agonized about whether to get new Michelin fronts to replace the original front tires. They have 2102 as manufacture date on my 03 cab. They were just into the wear bars with pretty even wear. I replaced the rears about 4k ago and they look good but I did not want to be "stuck" with Michelin$ for the next 40K mile$$.
Maybe we could make somebody one good set of used Michelins between us?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
You got the HTR Z IIIs right? I think the IIs lack the load handling capability for a 996.Most guys go for the IIIs when it comes to the 996.
I have the lls on the rear and plan to buy a new set of 4. The IIs are rated for longer tread life or wear than the IIIs and the IIs also have a slight decrease in weight capacity, but it's still plenty for a 996 at 5336 lbs for the set. I'm very impressed with the IIs, as they are very quiet even when worn, handle very well on the wet and also suprisingly well below freezing for a summer rated tire. I can push quite hard and get them to break in a turn but this is long after my passengers would be screaming. Why mess with success?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
fpena944,
I just went through the Sumitomo - Hankook debate with myself. My Hankooks were delivered this afternoon. I have to lube up my tire irons those rears look like they are going to be a bear. I might break down and bring them to a shop.

How many miles are on your Michelin fronts? What year manufacture date? I agonized about whether to get new Michelin fronts to replace the original front tires. They have 2102 as manufacture date on my 03 cab. They were just into the wear bars with pretty even wear. I replaced the rears about 4k ago and they look good but I did not want to be "stuck" with Michelin$ for the next 40K mile$$.
I use a 12:1 dish soap to water for lube and take very small bites with the irons. Some people don't like a wet lube and use talc or baby powder. They're all a snap to mount. I also have a bead breaker that makes dismounting easy as well. I have Discount Tire or the like do the balance.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front and back tire different make ?

Did you guys experienced with different brand of tires on front and back ?

I have good Michelin PS2 in the back but I need to change the fronts...to debug a steering wheel shaking problem that I have.

the Sumitomo II or III look like a good deal...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
fpena944,

I was all set to get the Hankook but figured let me give this Sumi's a try since they seem to have also received decent reviews and were a bit less expensive.

As for my current Michelin's, I'm not sure what the mileage is on them since when I bought the car last April they were already on there. One of them has a manufacture date of 44th week of 2006, the other one must have the date on the inside. I'll have to do a measurement tomorrow to see how much tread is still left.

I contemplated going with just the rear Michelins but thought if this is a yearly expense there has to be a better way to go. Plus if I hate these new tires I know I can always go back to the more expensive choice.

I'll let you know the rest of the tire information tomorrow night.

Originally Posted by philooo
Did you guys experienced with different brand of tires on front and back ?

I have good Michelin PS2 in the back but I need to change the fronts...to debug a steering wheel shaking problem that I have.

the Sumitomo II or III look like a good deal...
I've always been told not to mix. Otherwise I would have absolutely tried the different brand choice. But I would assume that if you're just driving on the street and not pushing it, it really shouldn't make a difference. But I'm just guessing here.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny - I was doing my spark plugs last week, and looked over at my driver's side rear and whoa - check out those cords!

I went with a set of the Hankooks. $834 mounted, balanced and taxed at Discount Tire in Bellingham WA.

One week later and so far so good. The ride is beter than the bald and brittle Bridgestones I had on previously that's for sure. I'm thinking of stiffeneing the PSS9 even the ride is so nice.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Seriously? My rear Conti's are near the end of their life after 8K miles.
No track or autoX, Just street use and no abuse.
Wow! I logged 19K on my Conti rears. The inside edge was at the wear bars. The fronts had about 50% left. Maybe I need to drive harder?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, I was at the Porsche dealer today getting my car inspected for an upcoming DE event and they told me that my Conti's were on their last legs (passed for the event, but, would need new ones soon). Curiousity got the better of me and I asked them to quote a set of Michelin PS2's. I just about lost it when I got the number - $2100!!! I will definitely be going with the Sumi's or Hankooks. At these prices I could go through 2 sets for the price of one set of PS2's!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,127 Likes on 428 Posts

Ive had continentals on almost all the cars Ive owned....lots of sets on the audis, I do not like them, they grip well in the dry but have terrible wear ratings and once you mix moisture into the mix they are crap. Ive been running yokohamas and sumitomos and have never had an issue with either traction or wear. Just put a set of the brand new sumitomo all-seasons on the saab, very impressed from the conti's that were on the car...stiffer sidewall and overall better grip, plus the look alot better also. Ill most likely grab a set of sumitomos for the 996 when the time comes.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I checked the status on the tires and found that they're already out for delivery! That was damn quick, I just ordered them less than 24 hours ago.

But unfortunately I'll have to wait until tomorrow anyway to install them because my car is muffler-less from my spark plug changing effort. I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me running around without the cans on.

Looking forward to the new shoes!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Admitedly, I'm an N-spec guy. Since tires affect steering, cornering, handling, and braking - I want to be confident (and safe) when I'm in the car, especially when tearing down an entrance ramp to an interstate highway, drving in an autocross, or having fun taking corners "briskly" on back-country roads.

My tire of choice (just took delivery of them) is Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Prior to that, it was Michelin Pilot Sport Rib (but boy, they wear fast!).

I know that other brands can deliver solid performance (as you guys have noted), but the N-spec means a lot to me.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
frankfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a set of Bridgestone Pole Positions for $1200 including balancing. I also went from 17" to 18" wheels. I was suspect of the cheaper tires so decided to buy a midrange pair hoping they will last longer. It seems that the reviews for these tires were better than the rest. I'll let you know. They are also offering a $100 rebate right now.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny - I was doing my spark plugs last week, and looked over at my driver's side rear and whoa - check out those cords!
Yeah, those cords showing on mine sure made my decision to replace the tires easier!

Got the Hankooks put on yesterday. $785 total including Alignment ($610 for the 4 tires + local mount/balance/alignment). Can't complain.... very pleased so far.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
stanm5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on another thread "best bang for the buck tires" I ordered a set of 19" Hankook's.
Had them installed last week and so far I think they're great.
Can't beat the price @ $780 delivered!

Cheers,
Stanley

Quick Reply: Just ordered new Sumitomo HTR Z III tires