Sponsored by:

Quick question re: Cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 AM
greenshoe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question re: Cabriolets

First time poster here, looking to buy a 996 or 997 in the next year or so (lease for my current car is up in a year!).

One thing I noticed browsing through the various threads here is that a lot of you folks seem to have the coupes - very few cabriolets (at least from the pics I've seen).

Is there any reason for this? Is it just a matter of not living in a dry climate like California? Something I should be concerned about re: the cabriolets? Or something I should know about re: the cabs beyond the weather/climate? I live in LA and getting a convertible is certainly a great option, so just wanted to know what the deal was here since most of you folks seem to be proud owners of your cars and would know more than I would.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen one mention bigger stuff can be inserted with a cab. I think one got ski's in the cab.

For me thieves and sun caused cancer eliminated convertables.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:51 AM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cab's are harder to come by, more expensive, vulnerable to theft, will kill you instantly if you wreck, beautiful, and in my mind, better off a mistress than the reality of owning her. My 2c.., but keep in mind I'm a newbie P car owner and realize that most owners of the 911 that frequent these forums are hardcore track racer types with LOTS of expendable cash on hand. (Not everyone here, but a large majority here are 911 nerds so to speak, myself included).
Strangely, I have already decided that when the day comes for me to buy a 997 it will be a Cab. That day is inevitable unless I check out early.
I get the feeling that the designers at Porsche are stringing me along on an unobtainable quest with no discernible ending. $$$ are the only thing stopping me from advancing. Capitalism at it's finest no doubt, otherwise why make more money than what one needs to survive? You can't eat a Porsche can you?

Last edited by eggodynamics; 04-25-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On a sunny day, or a cool summer night......Cab's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for cabs; and most owners have carports / garages to protect the top from accelerated deterioration. another plus for cab owners, the option to invest / inherit a hard top.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a cabriolet is awesome. The weather here in Kentucky sucks half the year, but those glorious Spring and Fall months make it all worthwhile.

The soft top is very quiet and I think the theft issue is a moot point. If someone wants in your car, I doubt they are going to hacksaw through the insulation rather than simply breaking a window. In my case, they can just open the door because I don't even keep mine locked.

Adding the hardtop is great as well. I know there is a large constituency that says hardtop is a waste of time and effort, but I say "nay, good sir" to that sentiment. The hardtop provides an entirely different aesthetic, removes the notions of theft through soft top (which I question anyway), and is quieter.

Here are the sucks of cabriolet (as I see them, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

1) there are many tracks and road racing events where convertibles are verboten
2) the body isn't as stiff and won't handle as well
3) the car is heavier because of all the top mechanisms and reinforcements
4) it can be really bad if you fail to keep the shiny side up
5) your old lady might squawk about her hair getting messed up (that's why this cat keeps a ballcap in the car for her and she knows to use extra hair product because top down is non-negotiable)
6) when it rains or the weather is crappy, you feel a void in your soul because you can't ride with the top down
7) when you're stuck at work and the weather is nice, you feel a void in your soul because you can't ride with the top down
8) chicks are more likely to eye-f**k you in your drop-top Porsche than your coupé Porsche, this can also lead to being squawked at by your old lady
9) you will be tempted to ride with the top down and windows up but you mustn't do this, as it looks retarded

Here are the awesomes of Cabriolet life:

1) going 75 in a cabriolet feels like 150
2) the engine sounds even better in a cab
3) you get to mess your old lady's hair up real bad, and because of all the wind and engine noise, her squawking will be less audible
4) it's easier for a girl to straddle you in a cab because there is more clearance
5) when chicks eye-f**k you, they are probably thinking about straddling you because they think you're rich
6) it's really fun to sing along to old country songs with the top down, I suggest you try: John Prine - Paradise, David Allen Coe - You Never Even Call Me By My Name, Hank 2- Family Tradition
7) it's also fun to sing along to other songs
8) The sun is coming out, so I am going to submit this post and go drive with the top down to breakfast and get some crepes

Last edited by GolfTango3; 04-25-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: had to change my F-word to f**k
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
brnrkm
Advanced

Welcome greenshoe. My daily driver is a cab, an 89 325i in red of course, and I'll probably never buy another soft top again. Don't get me wrong though, it is nice and I put the top down every chance I get. I almost feel like it's a duty to do so and that feeling is reinforced every time I see someone in a convertible with the top up on a nice day.

When I was researching buying my car, I found that cabs are aplenty, most were the same or cheaper than coupes, and most were tips.

I wanted my 911 to be a manual and be impervious to the environment. Many owners want convenience and open air touring and that's pretty rewarding as well.

I see no reason not to buy a cab if you want one. Good luck on your search.

Brian
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
dallison28
Pro

x2 except the country song thing.

that's why you get two, one with and one without a top.

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
Having a cabriolet is awesome. The weather here in Kentucky sucks half the year, but those glorious Spring and Fall months make it all worthwhile.

The soft top is very quiet and I think the theft issue is a moot point. If someone wants in your car, I doubt they are going to hacksaw through the insulation rather than simply breaking a window. In my case, they can just open the door because I don't even keep mine locked.

Adding the hardtop is great as well. I know there is a large constituency that says hardtop is a waste of time and effort, but I say "nay, good sir" to that sentiment. The hardtop provides an entirely different aesthetic, removes the notions of theft through soft top (which I question anyway), and is quieter.

Here are the sucks of cabriolet (as I see them, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

1) there are many tracks and road racing events where convertibles are verboten
2) the body isn't as stiff and won't handle as well
3) the car is heavier because of all the top mechanisms and reinforcements
4) it can be really bad if you fail to keep the shiny side up
5) your old lady might squawk about her hair getting messed up (that's why this cat keeps a ballcap in the car for her and she knows to use extra hair product because top down is non-negotiable)
6) when it rains or the weather is crappy, you feel a void in your soul because you can't ride with the top down
7) when you're stuck at work and the weather is nice, you feel a void in your soul because you can't ride with the top down
8) chicks are more likely to eye-f**k you in your drop-top Porsche than your coupé Porsche, this can also lead to being squawked at by your old lady
9) you will be tempted to ride with the top down and windows up but you mustn't do this, as it looks retarded

Here are the awesomes of Cabriolet life:

1) going 75 in a cabriolet feels like 150
2) the engine sounds even better in a cab
3) you get to mess your old lady's hair up real bad, and because of all the wind and engine noise, her squawking will be less audible
4) it's easier for a girl to straddle you in a cab because there is more clearance
5) when chicks eye-f**k you, they are probably thinking about straddling you because they think you're rich
6) it's really fun to sing along to old country songs with the top down, I suggest you try: John Prine - Paradise, David Allen Coe - You Never Even Call Me By My Name, Hank 2- Family Tradition
7) it's also fun to sing along to other songs
8) The sun is coming out, so I am going to submit this post and go drive with the top down to breakfast and get some crepes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
tgt40
Pro

Yep Bobby pretty much nailed it. You can debate the merits of each and they have their advantages but I think that from a 'technical' standpoint for us the differences are pretty small. If you WANT a cab then get one, and if you don't, well then, don't.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a cab and I love it. I also have a hardtop as I live in the north. When the weather turns bad having the hardtop to turn to is great (although you don't have to worry about it in LA). It makes the car feel like a coupe.
When the sun is out there is nothing to compare with the cab. The wind-blocker works great and you can drive the car with the top down, not get blown about, listen to music (including the engine) and carry on a conversation.
Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
nijoma
Advanced

Default I have had a cab. for a while

Would never get a coupe again, just my opinion. Ugly with the roof up but the best with the roof down.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 PM
stanm5
Racer

I love my cab, don't think I would ever buy a coupe.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

My P-car isn't my only car, so the cab selection was a no-brainer as a comfortable cruiser to explore mountain canyons on weekends. As many have mentioned, adding the aluminum hard top covers all the bases and makes it a 4-season driver. The track jocks here will go for a coupe w/ 6-speed, but I made mine a cab w/ tiptronic. At the end of the day, they're all great P-cars w/ different missions. What is yours?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Originally Posted by skiracer
The track jocks here will go for a coupe w/ 6-speed, but I made mine a cab w/ tiptronic.
Made mine the same way - cab w/tip. Not a track jock, but I do catch a little minor wood in all of the discussions for increasing HP, but in the end I opt not to, because, I'm not a track guy.

Windscreens work very well if your SO's whining starts to overcome the engine music... Still surveying temps, but with the top down, windows up, windscreen in place, heater set to 72 to the floor and seats heated, I can take it down to almost 50 degrees, which pretty much covers So Cal weather most of the year...

I think Bailey started a pretty good list - I agree with most of it (the country music ONLY when the wife is in the car)... I'd like to see others add to it... As soon as I give it a little more thought I'll put in mine - but the straddle thing is one to think about

Rudy
Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest reasons I've seen posted are:
- they feel a hard top is more secure from theft. A mirage. Most thieves have single digit IQ's and just smash and grab. Cabs are no more or less secure. Yet, if I lived in a questionable neighborhood, I would be inclined to get a hardtop -- but then, I wouldn't choose a Porsche, either.
- some claim a hardtop is safer in a rollover. That is somewhat true. The cab has roll bars that automatically extend and have been shown to be very effective.
- some claim the cab is slower. The actual stats show .2 seconds slower to 60; same top speed. If .2 seconds matters to you, then there are other cars that get to 60 a whole lot faster than a Porsche
- some claim that driving on the track is more difficult. A Road and Track comparison came to the conclusion that the cab was more fun on the race track than a coupe.

When I bought mine at a local dealership, the young male salesman said he was surprised that I was choosing it as he thought cab's were girlie cars.

I think this is the real reason. There is almost an unspoken perception among young males that convertibles just aren't "serious," less macho.

My early driving years were the 60's an 70's when the only real sports cars were rag tops. I rode motorcycles for years, but the SpaceMan Spiff outfits take you away from the riding experience.

My '03 came with a hard top. In the Seattle area, I put it on the in fall (which I enjoy) and take it off for summer (which I enjoy even more).

Note: there will be times you might drive along with the sunroof cracked open when you wouldn't put down the rag top. It is a bit more, all or nothing.

But there's nothing like the openness of a cab. The coupe almost demands that it be driven fast to enjoy it...the cab can be great at 30mph on a country road, enjoying the scenery.

Cabs rock.

Quick Reply: Quick question re: Cabriolets