Sponsored by:

Yellowing / Fogging Up Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 PM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellowing / Fogging Up Headlamps

Hey all. I've got a 2002 996 and I started noticing that there was some either some condensation or oxidation going on inside the headlamp. The car wasn't in any accidents and the headlamps are OEM. I'm guessing this is a problem for many 996 owners, but I couldn't find any threads discussing the problem. I've got the Litronic xenon headlamps. Not sure if this would also apply to other non-xenon ones.

I looked at replacement headlamps, but at around $300/each, I was wondering if there was an easier, cheaper way at solving this problem.

Any help or tips from you all would be very much appreciated.

Pics attached.

Thanks all in advance.
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never seen a headlight look that dull, unless it was a very old car. Your night vision must be comprimised as well. I have a 99 w/out litronics and mine are very clear. Is your condensation or clouding on the inside? Lots of headlight cleaning and ploishing products avail. with a special attatchment for your drill, but for the ouside of the headlight lens. Could you be having a heat issue on the inside causing your problem?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I have never seen 996 headlights that hazed up/dull.

A few folks on Renntech.org have polished (using polishing cloths and different fine grit grades of sand paper) to revitalize the headlights to as new condition.

Was you car garaged? Is it currently kept in a garage?

Here's the link: (you need to become a member, it's free):

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ic-headlights/
Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow they really are bad. I have a *little* bit of yellowing in the area where the vertical grooves are on my passenger side light but that's it.

Has your car been out in the sun a lot?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you pressure wash your car? It may be moisture being forced into the lens.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The damage is definitely on the outside of the lens, and it appears a harsh cleaner was used on your car that ate away at the protective coat of the lens.

You'll need to polish the lens back into shape. Before that you may need to wetsand with automotive grit paper (2000 should do) and follow up with a compound or specific product like PlastX.

I'd do this before any extended night driving. I'd also wash your car thoroughly to remove whatever caused this before it damages your paint or trim.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Oh, I thought the owner noted that it was on the inside of the headlight lens.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Is it always like this, or only after a rain or wash, or when the car cools down after being wet (ie moisture on the inside of the lens)? Does the condensation go away briefly when the lamp heats up for an extended period? Or is it all from scratched/hazed plastic?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

I have never used these guys but there are a bunch of them around LA. Google headlight restoration services.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...714473450.html
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

If the problem is on the outside you can polish them as others have mentioned, or if your not the DIY type you can try a service like "Dr. Headlight" .

http://drheadlight.com/default.htm
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Had the exact same problem, just not as bad. 03 Cab that's usually parked outside. I tried a polishing system i found online and it took some of the problem away but still looked like crap. My local body shop polished them up for me using some commercial polishing compound. Came back looking like new and didnt cost much. I think it's the UV reacting with the plastic. And btw, i was told replacement lenses were much more than $300 -- told me lenses couldnt be replaced alone and needed to replace housing.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

bring them in the house. Go get some toothpaste with bakeing soda.. Sit and watch the next game and just polish the heck out of them with the toothpaste... You will be amazed... Trust me.

EDIT
oh never mind I see it is on the inside.. Well that sucks
Old 04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Alright you say its inside. You have to extract the headligh units. Take the units to a dry area inside and remove the rear cover and bulbs. I believe both bulbs per unit are the same. Then its just have the case open to dry. There is supposed to be a sealing compound of non hardening goop between the bulb skirt and case. There should also be a rubber seal between the back lid of the unit and the unit body. I think its not there or screwed up letting moisture in.

The front trunk area will warm up pretty good with the radiators there. Probably the temperature changes is sucking moisutre past fouled seals.

You can use a hair dryer for semi warming or possibly find a light shade that would allow the unit to rest on top to keep it warm. Just not a lamp shade thats going to melt ot burn the unit.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I did this last weekend (they were not anywhee near as bad as your) and it was great.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=20994
Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 PM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

Thanks all for the recommendations. I've been extremely busy so I'm finally getting back to checking this thread out.

At this point in time, I'm not sure if it is the outside or inside. The car wasn't in any accidents so I'm guessing polishing it off will probably do the trick.

I'm going to go with the PlastX recommendation from Tim. I'm sure all the recommendations are very good.

Now that I look back at the pictures I took, it looks like the coverage on the headlamp is pretty evenly distributed across the entire surface. Will keep my fingers crossed and let you all know how this weekend project goes.

Thanks again Rennlisters!

Quick Reply: Yellowing / Fogging Up Headlamps