Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Reliability Survey - Admin Approved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, it seems like one further option may be helpful in your survey to appease some 996 owners.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by mkaresh
There is not a reliability survey I'm aware of that does anything to verify that repairs were actually performed.
...even if true, that does not validate your methodology.

We all assume that if someone reports a repair then the repair actually occurred, because there's really very little reason to assume otherwise

There is similarly very little reason to assume that someone is taking the time over a period of many months to report on a car that does not actually exist.
In general I'm inclined not to disagree with you, however in this case there are interests on both sides (remember, so far Porsche has kept their stats secret) who stand to gain or lose if a survey on the internet "proves" that the M96 is (or is not) a "ticking time bomb". Note that I'm not saying it will happen, just that it could...and therefore some specific checks should be put in place to assure that it doesn't. I can't see any way to do that other than by making people substantiate claims of IMS-related engine failure, with invoices and VIN #s.

The great majority of car repairs are not dependent on how the car was driven or cared for. It is not possible to maintain the electrical system, to give a key example. And, even with those repairs that could have been influenced by how the car was driven and cared for, most cars are cared for well enough that they should not have required these repairs.

Major mechanical repairs before 120,000 miles are rare these days, in nearly all car models. In those cases where they are relatively common, the reason is not primary because of how the car was driven or maintained, but because of how the car was engineered.
For someone who purports to be a gatherer/presenter of data, you certainly seem to have a lot of preconceptions. Not to mention, you've seen fit to lecture me on medical issues, and now you're lecturing on issues of automotive engineering. In your field it must be a great advantage to be as all-round an expert as you
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
mkaresh
Racer

I do follow up more aggressively if there's something unusual in the data, but this isn't often necessary. It might prove necessary in this case, but no way to say at this point.

I certainly did not intend to "lecture" you on anything medical, and don't think I even contradicted anything you said with regard to the field of medicine. I did suggest factors that would make medical research much more complicated than my survey. Were these not true?

On the factors behind car repairs, I've spent countless hours personally reviewing every repair that's submitted, over 1,000 of them a month at this point. So these aren't preconceptions. Perhaps they're postconceptions.

Here's a list of the ten most recently reported repairs:

1. Coil and oxygen sensor replacement

2. Front window motors replaced - windows would not go up and stay up (anti-pinch sensors bad).

3. Replaced heated seat module on passenger side.

4. Ignition coil failed.

5. Drivers side window control stopped working. Part replaced under warrenty.

6. Check engine lite on with code - bad O2 sensor - replaced and problem gone

7. Rear bushings replaced under extended warranty

8. Replaced struts, shocks, upper bearings

9. ABS, Traction Control sensor went bad. Front hud had to be replaced. Also replace deck lid struts. All repairs covered under warranty minus $100.00 deductable.

10. Front brakes started locking up. Mechanic released them but couldn't bleed one side ended up replacing both front calipers. Recommended replacing rotors stating they had over heated and where compromised Calipers where warranty, rotors $245.

This is a fairly typical set. None of these parts, with the partial exception of the brake calipers (on a 2008 minivan with 53k km), is a part subject to routine maintenance. The suspension bits could be effected by the types of roads a car is driven on, but there's no reason to suspect that the factor would be any better controlled for with a random sample of vehicles. The sensors, window motors, and modules--all very common repair items--are affected neither by how the car is maintained or how it is driven.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

HINT HINT
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Response to this thread has been better than I expected.

Total of 144 owners now signed up, and four model years are now at least halfway to the minimum.

The 2002 is closest.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

OH FOR F_ _KS SAKE!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Response to this thread has been better than I expected.
HAHA WOW. sure looks like it.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:48 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Yeah, it feels kind of like that here.

But it turns out that the people posting in this thread don't represent everyone, or even the majority.

If I have to take a few hits in order to get enough people involved, I'll take them.

More owners have signed up today, and the 2002 is now 2/3 of the way to the minimum.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

But it turns out that the people posting in this thread don't represent everyone, or even the majority.
144 owners have signed up, and you feel you can conclude from this that the people who posted to this thread don't represent the majority.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

(Do you think that maybe you could continue your recruiting process without taking potshots at Rennlisters?)

Last edited by BruceP; 05-20-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
144 owners have signed up, and you feel you can conclude from this that the people who posted to this thread don't represent the majority.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

(Do you think that maybe you could continue your recruiting process without taking potshots at Rennlisters?)
Yeah, it's funny that the community college that gave him his Ph.D (in stamp collecting) didn't teach him the meaning of "majority" and "representative sample"

Main Entry: ma·jor·i·ty
Pronunciation: \mə-ˈjȯr-ə-tē, -ˈjär-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ma·jor·i·ties
Date: 1552
1 obsolete : the quality or state of being greater
2 a : the age at which full civil rights are accorded b : the status of one who has attained this age
3 a : a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total <a majority of voters> <a two-thirds majority> b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : margin <won by a majority of 10 votes> c : the greater quantity or share <the majority of the time>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(statistics)

Representative sample
Definition
Small quantity of a targeted group such as customers, data, people, products, whose characteristics represent (as accurately as possible) the entire batch, lot, population, or universe.

Yeah dude, you like totally nailed both of those!

I actually kind feel sorry for you that you feel the need to take potshots at others in order to draw attention to yourself.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

will the real majority please stand up?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
mkaresh
Racer

I find it interesting that the person with the "Ph.D. in stamp collecting from a community college" is the one supposedly taking potshots. Or by "taking potshots" did you mean receiving them?

I have no idea who is in the majority. Could be one way, could be the other. It doesn't really matter, since there's no need for everyone to do one thing or the other.

It is clear, though, that some here would like to dictate behavior for everyone. It's not good enough that they themselves don't participate. They want no one else to participate, either.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I find it interesting that the person with the "Ph.D. in stamp collecting from a community college" is the one supposedly taking potshots. Or by "taking potshots" did you mean receiving them?

I have no idea who is in the majority. Could be one way, could be the other. It doesn't really matter, since there's no need for everyone to do one thing or the other.

It is clear, though, that some here would like to dictate behavior for everyone. It's not good enough that they themselves don't participate. They want no one else to participate, either.
What's clear appears to be your habit of reading carelessly. Nobody is trying to dictate behavior to anyone. I saw the easy ride you got on the Toyota truck forum I follow, so I guess your shock at this experience is understandable. What is not is your relentless petulance. This isn't about "participating," with all the community duty that implies. It's about you availing yourself of the generosity of enthusiasts to provide content for your commercial web site. As I've said until I'm blue in the face, there's nothing unusual about that these days. But you're best to do it with a little grace and humility.

The potshot I referred to was your gratuitous comment that posters to this thread didn't represent an important constituency. It was unnecessary and just got people fired up again.

I do appreciate you reversing your position on "the majority", though. That, at least, is progress.

Speaking for myself, if you want to continue recruiting and reporting on results, you're welcome to do it and you won't hear a word from me. But as soon as you want to start sticking your tongue out at board members, I'll probably call you on it again. Just sayin'.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I know you find this so very hard to believe, but this is not about dictating anything. People are free to do whatever dumb thing they like, and as you're proving they frequently do. I'm fine with that. Live and let live.

This is about scientifically accurate methodology. Several of us have pointed out the statistical flaws in your endeavor and you refuse to listen. You may as well pull numbers out of your butt because that's about as valuable as your "results" will be. The sad thing is that your "data" will be misinterpreted by those that don't know any better as being more meaningful than they are.

You took a potshot at those of us that are trying to correct your assertions that your study has meaning. We have kept this at a professional level so far, but if you want to throw snide comments at those that are qualified to point out the flaws in your study, then you should be careful as we're also Olympic gold medal winners in snide comments and the facts are not currently on your side.

You want to know why some of us are speaking out against this effort? Plain and simple, we hate to see scientifically flawed methodology represented as being meaningful and sound when it is not.

As Bruce said, we had let this go and you had to go and start swiping to stir things up again - you reap what you sow.

Quick Reply: 996 Reliability Survey - Admin Approved!