Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Advice on how/where to sell, price point.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
God, who would even suggest a Honda? I mean just because I'm selling my car doesn't mean I'll be shredding up my dignity as...

Oh...

Bawhahahahahaha!!!!! I love it!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Although it was just a 944 Cabrio, I kept mine throughout the three years I lived in New York City. I used to use it maybe 2-4 times per month.

But when I did it was awesome!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Dave! Try listing in your local Craigslist as well - it's free, easy and you might easily find a strong local buyer during these upcoming summer months. GLWTS!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:43 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are a PCA member, I would suggest Panorama magazine to list it.
Also list it in the local PCA newsletter if your club does have one.

I think you are picking the right season to sell a speed yellow Pcar. Right before summer.

Unfortunately, the stock market took a kick to the teeth today from our friends in Greece so that may hurt your chances of a quick sale to somebody who Was (until this week when the market tumbled) looking for a toy.

GLWTS
Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

C'mon, Dave. I think you're exaggerating.

I just got back from 2 weeks in Ohio, and I drove in Cleveland for over a week. I drove to the West Side Market 3 times, and there's this one road that was, well, there was another road that, I mean, the pot-holes aren't so bad that you can't...

Sell it. Buy another when you move to Lakewood.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
If you are a PCA member, I would suggest Panorama magazine to list it.
Also list it in the local PCA newsletter if your club does have one.

I think you are picking the right season to sell a speed yellow Pcar. Right before summer.

Unfortunately, the stock market took a kick to the teeth today from our friends in Greece so that may hurt your chances of a quick sale to somebody who Was (until this week when the market tumbled) looking for a toy.

GLWTS
if you put it Pano make sure you ask 25% more than it's worth like everyone else seems too
Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Edit - Actually I kind of have a car in mind for a commuter/beater. You folks will laugh, but for some reason I'm completely enamoured with the idea of a Mercedes-Benz 190D. I don't know what it is, just something about a late 80s German Sedan with a diesel just sounds like fun--perfectly reliable with just the right amount of quirky charm.

NOOOOO!!!! I'd rather drive a 911 into oblivion than put that money into a MB - my family had one of those 190s and it was a POS. Put some smaller wheels on and enjoy your car - don't trade one source of unhappiness for another!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
if you put it Pano make sure you ask 25% more than it's worth like everyone else seems too
LOL! exactly!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
C'mon, Dave. I think you're exaggerating.

I just got back from 2 weeks in Ohio, and I drove in Cleveland for over a week. I drove to the West Side Market 3 times, and there's this one road that was, well, there was another road that, I mean, the pot-holes aren't so bad that you can't...

Sell it. Buy another when you move to Lakewood.
See everybody? I'm not a whiner the roads here really do suck that bad!

Originally Posted by leftlane
NOOOOO!!!! I'd rather drive a 911 into oblivion than put that money into a MB - my family had one of those 190s and it was a POS. Put some smaller wheels on and enjoy your car - don't trade one source of unhappiness for another!
Damn, care to elaborate? I've only heard excellent things about the 190--the diesel at least, haven't heard all that much about the 190E.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

See everybody? I'm not a whiner the roads here really do suck that bad!

Damn, care to elaborate? I've only heard excellent things about the 190--the diesel at least, haven't heard all that much about the 190E.
I stand corrected - I think ours was a 190E, but the number of problems we had weren't limited to the powerplant. Electrical, manual, you name it, something was always breaking or malfunctioning. It gets expensive fast to repair those Benzes too.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
+1.... put 17" on. Drive it till it blows.... she can take it!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Another option to consider is consigning the car through a local dealership that specializes in foreign and sports cars. This is how I sold my 968 last fall.

The traffic through dealers is much greater than your driveway. The dealership suggested pricing and did their own ad on autotrader - with much better photos than I would have done. I signed a 60 day contract and the car sold in less than a month.

The dealer's charge for the service, ~$1,000, was easily offset by the higher price that he was able to ask. In the end I got within $100 of my target price. His detailer also fixed stuff I never would have. Final advantage - the dealer dealt with all the idiots who wanted to see and drive the car (a good dealer knows how to evaluate a buyer and say no if necessary). They also did all the paperwork and dealt with DMV. A dealer can also help a prospective buyer find financing for a 10 year old car - not that easy these days. I just dropped off the car, approved the final negotiated deal, and cashed the check.

Some caveats - I had known the owner for a while and had total trust in the process. A buddy tried the same thing at the same dealership with his Boxster. But the dealer had three others on the lot and the car did not sell. You have to ask the right questions and keep your eyes wide open.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

How bout I store the car for you here in Indy. You pay me for rent and I'll drive the car occasionally and send you love letters sealed with Speed Yellow lip stick?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autotrader, Carmax.

GLWS.

FM
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep the car. i drive in SE michigan, and the roads are similar to cleveland. 17" wheels will help. i drive with 18" wheels and just grit my teeth for the worst roads. when i feel really bad, i just drive in the boonies and let 'er rip.

Quick Reply: Advice on how/where to sell, price point.