Sponsored by:

***SOLVED*** convertible top not folding closed quite right (PICS) -

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ***SOLVED*** convertible top not folding closed quite right (PICS) -

Any ideas? Tried to pull it towards me as it was closing - didn't help much...
Attached Images   

Last edited by roadsession; 06-28-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like one of the brace joints / hinges got bent somehow....maybe was worn and just the force action of opening as usual distorted it the last time you opened it up. Sorry can't be more precise but visually seems like that.
Hope it doesn't cost much!
Peter
Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

check to make sure that both cables are connected and have about the same tension. Look in the manual for "top service position"
Old 06-16-2010, 12:53 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine tends to fold outward over the frame (vs. inward like yous) and I can simply guide it with a finger tip during that portion of closure for 2 seconds to correct it. I need to sew in a new window but really just ride with the top down (3rd car for the fam) so will some day fix the rear window but for now it is ok. It also rattles a good bit and when the top is removed to sew in the rear window I will see if they can adjust it at that time
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fpb111
check to make sure that both cables are connected and have about the same tension. Look in the manual for "top service position"
Is there a way to adjust that tension? Do you think I need to relax or tighten the tension on the right side?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

I don't know how to adjust the tension. Hopefully someone who does may wade in on this.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

fbp111, I checked the tension cable (porsche calls it tension rope) and the right side is very slack / loose.
I think that's the problem. It will need to be replaced...
The following users liked this post:
janikphoto (05-15-2020)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Did you check the attachment point(s) at the rear? There is a ball socket at the end that can pop off the ball. Run the top up or down until the rear cover is fully open and the top has not started to drop onto the windshield. You can then get to the rear of the cables. I never checked the fronts of mine so i do not know how to get to them.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked the question about adjusting the tension of the cables from my RUF guy and he said it could be done but you have to remove the top from the frame.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

I checked the end near the engine (not towards the windshield) and I can see what looks like a metal cable/rope that is anchored to the rear by a bolt and then that cable runs under the outermost edge of the roof. I pulled on the cable at the rear anchor point and it is very slack.

My theory is that because there's no tension on the outside edge of the fabric, it will no longer fall into the channel on the roof.

I would be surprised to learn that the cable actually snapped or broke, but probably became detached. But according to the Boxster write up, it looks like the cable must be replaced.
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...allintoguidech
Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While I cannot claim to have actually eye-balled this problem, I believe one of the tensioning spring/cable units has broken loose; i.e., the cable end retention "ball" has pulled off. Replace these units on both sides...should be possible without seriously removing the top. These units are not adjustable or repairable.

relinuca
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

It is a ball and socket at the rear. The socket is on the cable. It is pretty easy to pop it off and snap it back on. In Boxsters you have to pop them off to get the engine cover off for service.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fpb111
It is a ball and socket at the rear. The socket is on the cable. It is pretty easy to pop it off and snap it back on. In Boxsters you have to pop them off to get the engine cover off for service.
I checked the rear - it is fixed on. It appears it is broken off on the front end so I think they'll have to remove the fabric and fix it
I bought the cable. It was $100
janikphoto (05-15-2020)
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
waveandwen
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newbie here. Just bought my first P-Car, 2002 C2 Cab. Haven't yet posted intro (with Pics per forum rules, no flaming) Car came to me with the same problem on the drivers. Being the cheapskate I am and pretty handy I dug in. It is a broken tension rope that allows the piping to seat in the channel when the top is closed tight. Mine was not a broken cable, but a cable that pulled out of the crimped eyelet at the bottom side. The hard part part is fishing the cable back into the piping and out both ends at the top and bottom. Used dental floss as fish tape, worked like a charm. Drilled out the previously crimped eyelet, reinserted cable and crimped back on. Worked like a charm.

While testing the top operation later that day heard a loud "bang" as top was closing tight. The passenger side cable let go. Ugh !! This time it came out of the cable end at the windshield side. Same repair. All done and tight.

You do not have to remove the entire top from the frame. You do have to gain access to the top's corner. Easy to do with some patience. Total repair time for one side: 1 hr. Cost: Free.

Will post into soon.

Dave.
brontosaurus (06-27-2022)
Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 AM
audimotion
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 24 Posts

New to this forum...but not to Porsche ownership. Anyway, I just sold an Audi S4 Cabriolet and had to address a similar issue with it's top before selling. Instead of having an Audi dealer charge serious $$ for top removal, I contacted a local interior business. They also specialized in convertible canvas top repair. They had to remove the entire insulated top headliner to properly fix. Only charged me $350.00. I was happy with the overall repair cost and fixed the issue 100%.
Just a thought. Good luck.

Quick Reply: ***SOLVED*** convertible top not folding closed quite right (PICS) -