Sponsored by:

A few questions regarding my 2002 C4S Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few questions regarding my 2002 C4S Tiptronic

hi guys, i have some questions after my 4-month ownership.
1)my car has light vibration at idle, and i checked the lowest point on both side of the engine, they are differ by 0.5 inch, so is there one engine mount going bad? i never seen any drop of oil btw.
2)is there any way i can change the sound a little louder for the turn signal light?
3)why the gear always display 2 instead of 1 when i stop the car completely before going.
thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always thought that an accomplished Porsche driver knows when he has activated the turn signals, and doesn't need an audible or visual confirmation. Maybe it's a matter of pride with me regarding this issue.

This same driver knows to listen for the turn signal canceling itself after as he executes the turn, and knows that if he didn't hear it cancel, then he needs to do it manually.

The clicking sound seems to send a message that the manufacturer assumes that I need to be reminded by a loud sound that I've activated the turn signals. For me, this is a silly notion. And besides, a silent blinking arrow more than serves that purpose.

i especially enjoyed my 1974 VW Dasher because it made no clicking sound at all. Good old Volkswagen!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Pac996
Drifting

2nd gear is normal. If you floor it leaving the line it will kick down but otherwise being its automatic 2nd is what it takes off in from a start unless imediately after first putting the car into gear you leave the line. Car goes to first in those instances for a second or two then defaults to 2nd.

Normally what makes the noise of a blinker is the relay. You could ask a parts guy if there is a louder one with the same connector. You can eliminate some of your problem just applying a little pressure to start the blinker then release before the lever snaps into the constant on notch. I'm sure everybody catch's themselves with the blinker on once in a while. Last time out doing hasty weaving I was figuring how fouled up I was making lane changes with the opposite blinker still on.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

I appreciate the fact that Kent is concerned about his turn signal, since just about everybody out there doesn't have a clue what that appendage on their steering wheel is for! Kent I have also thought it would be a good idea for the turn signal to be a little louder, since on our California freeways, I (for one) use my signal for all lane changes and cannot stand it when I have driven several miles with my turn signal on. If you find out how to increase the sound, please advise.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

PS: I have a 04 C4S with Tip, and I almost always use the steering wheel paddle shifters with the tranny is "M". When I coast to a stop I downshift when I am about 50 feet from stopping. Or I will downshift in to first at the stop. If you downshift in to first when the car is going too slow, it will clunck a little bit. I rarely drive my car in automatic, since the paddle shifters on the Tip S are so quick.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

FIY: had the clunk into 1st and flushed ATF + replaced filters and its barely noticeable now.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Not sure. You could jack the engine just taking the weight off the car and then back the bolts out on the crossmember. Then check play and movement. On Tip cars, the trans mount always goes dead.

2. It's all in the flasher to make the sound

3. Your car is taking off in 2nd to soften the acceleration, a trick used by the luxo cars. You can manually shift it to 1st or stab the throttle and it will get there automatically.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Pac996
Drifting

In the long run I prefer the quite relay. Clanking relay vs quite? Yah quite realys are better. Just imagine sitting at a light with the noise wishing you had a quite relay. Or cruising down the hwy with the blinkers on reguardless of the noise and wondering why you didn't turn them off. Just be atentive and cruise on.

Quick Reply: A few questions regarding my 2002 C4S Tiptronic