996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys are bad...was her friend in the car with her texting Pete?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Pete.... pete.... pete.....
Hey...do bells and alarms go off in your head when Ed asks for pics??
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCA Member? Check with other club members on best body shop for porsches. Real good ones in LA.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by emdog
I was rear ended today. I was stopped and the girl was going between 25 to 40 miles per hour. There is only visible damage to the bumperettes and two scratches on the bumper. My questions who shouldni take it To get checked out? Porsche dealer? Body shop? Both? I just want to make sure nothing shows up later on.
Glad to hear you are ok.

Other car no way going that fast. My 02 Boxster got rear-ended stopped at a light. Driver of car behind mine started forward when the driver -- "distracted" aka on the g*dd*mned cell phone -- seeing movement from car in left hand turn lane thought light changed in the lane she was in. It hadn't and she drove her car into mine. This shoved my car into new SUV in front of my car.

Impact speed about 5mph (I had recording device in car at time).

Damage was to front and rear bumper covers, some bumper bracing/metal under the rear cover. One taillight assembly. One headlight assembly.

A bit over $5K.

In CA you are entitled to take car to any shop you want to. Also, car is supposed to be restored to its pre-collision condition. You want this done to avoid any diminished value claim.

If body/sheet metal damage slight to none, consider taking the car to a dealer and letting the dealer's tech dismantle the damaged covers and other hardware. They are much better at this mechanical work than the body shop.

The body shop is good at painting and finishing but lousy at mechanical work.

New covers will be ordered and test fitted and then prepped and painted by a qualified shop. The shop wants to be a Porsche approved collision repair center.

Now in some cases if impact speed higher -- and I don't think it is high enough but I'm not the expert -- the car's wheels are removed, the car placed on a Celette Bench and various body/chassis hard attachment points checked for proper location. This finds if the car has been bent/twisting slightly - which I don't think will be the case -- or even if a bumper cover mounting bracket pushed a bit out of shape/position.

Porsche doesn't consider the car roadworthy after an accident repair until the car checked out by a qualified tech.

Oh, if you wish to keep the car's warranty intact, all parts must be bought through PCNA, ordered by and purchase from a qualified Porsche dealer, and all mechanical work done by a Porsche tech. PCNA/dealers do not discount parts cost to body shops. Tech labor is where I lived billed at $150/hour and labor is not discounted either.

But the entire vehicle's warranty remains in effect. This is very important. My 03 Turbo was damaged when I hit a mule deer with it I was told the above and took my car to a body shop recommended by a Porsche dealer. I insisted on all new parts and all mechanical work done by the dealer. Cost of repairs came to around $25K. No chassis/frame damage but these cars are not cheap to repair properly. Just recently some problems developed with radiator, fan/hub assembly of a radiator fan, serpentine belt idler roller bearing and transmission. All -- including transmission replacement -- covered by CPO warranty which remained in effect after accident repairs. Had the car lost its CPO warranty coverage, that accident would have cost me out of pocket expenses for those repairs of nearly $14K. (Transmission alone would have cost nearly $12K.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got hit at probably 15-25MPH in my 996 by a late 90's Ford Explorer. The road was a 45 MPH speed zone and the kid that hit me didn't realize I was stopped until probably 4-5 car links back. He hit me so hard I rolled into the intersection.

All that was damaged was the bumper shocks as Tim mentioned and a small tear in the bumper.

The 996 rear is pretty robust structurally wise; all panels lined up the same as before.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
falcon7x7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
It was all a blur but I snapped a quick pic.....

I LOVE this forum!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tippy
I got hit at probably 15-25MPH in my 996 by a late 90's Ford Explorer. The road was a 45 MPH speed zone and the kid that hit me didn't realize I was stopped until probably 4-5 car links back. He hit me so hard I rolled into the intersection.

All that was damaged was the bumper shocks as Tim mentioned and a small tear in the bumper.

The 996 rear is pretty robust structurally wise; all panels lined up the same as before.
Wow. I would not have believed one of these cars could escape with so little damage when hit from behind with such force. Wow.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, lucky escape ..........
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
Wow. I would not have believed one of these cars could escape with so little damage when hit from behind with such force. Wow.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Yeah, I know it helped I let off the brake because I knew he was coming without plans on stopping. I couldn't punch it (I sure would have) because cars were coming from the left turning.

Now I think of it, it may have been like 2-3 car links back before he realized I was stopped.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon7x7
I LOVE this forum!
ME TOO!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tippy
Yeah, I know it helped I let off the brake because I knew he was coming without plans on stopping. I couldn't punch it (I sure would have) because cars were coming from the left turning.

Now I think of it, it may have been like 2-3 car links back before he realized I was stopped.
That I had my foot off the brake pedal when my Boxster hit from behind may have helped reduce the amount of damage.

Never ever punch it into an intersection even if you see a vehicle coming behind you. While the action seems reasonable, it is not. What will almost certainly happen is you pull out and either hit a car or a car hits your car. Very likely you'll be involved in a t-bone accident and these are the worst.

And the car coming up behind you of course avoids hitting you, manages to stop. Believe me *no* one will note the vehicle stopped where your's was, only that you pulled out on a red light into traffic and the accident will be your fault. You will have plenty of witnesses against you and one of them will be the driver of the vehicle that prompted you to pull out in order to avoid what you believed to be a sure impact.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
That I had my foot off the brake pedal when my Boxster hit from behind may have helped reduce the amount of damage.

Never ever punch it into an intersection even if you see a vehicle coming behind you. While the action seems reasonable, it is not. What will almost certainly happen is you pull out and either hit a car or a car hits your car. Very likely you'll be involved in a t-bone accident and these are the worst.

And the car coming up behind you of course avoids hitting you, manages to stop. Believe me *no* one will note the vehicle stopped where your's was, only that you pulled out on a red light into traffic and the accident will be your fault. You will have plenty of witnesses against you and one of them will be the driver of the vehicle that prompted you to pull out in order to avoid what you believed to be a sure impact.

Sincerely,

Macster.
+996
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 AM
cdaniels
Racer

You were very lucky....because of the drama of it all(your baby getting hit) it seemed worst then it really was...you are allowed.....I had a 78 targa rear ended once and I saw it coming but could not get the car in gear fast enough to get out of the way......bummer.....

Ouch. Maybe she was going slower. The car drives fine. I'll take it to a body shop I guess. Diminished value, do I get reimbursed for that?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 AM
emdog
Instructor

I took it in the body shop, they said it was just bumper damage $675 to repair.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took it in the body shop, they said it was just bumper damage $675 to repair.
Probably the stock parts are out of stock and you'l have to make do with the aero kits available. Too bad.

I wouldn't put a patched plastic or bent back into shape parts in there. Get new.

Quick Reply: Rear ended