996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a TIP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 PM
996 FAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a matter of personal preference. Tip or Manual, I wouldnt own any other car. Porsche 4 Life. Personally, I keep the keys outta my girl's hands :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Good on you for careful consideration.

On the Porsche I had to have the stick for full throttle-blipping-downshift pleasure....

I taught my wife to drive a stick, but that was on an old Golf, ha.

Maybe what you need is a spankin' new 997S with PDK.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
you just think you love them, you haven't really experienced LOVE yet. nothing in the world like gettin on the open road & winding her out & listenin to her purr in each & every gear
I've driven a few loaner cars which were Tips. To each his own but for me, I would NEVER buy a Tip. The enjoyment of driving a Porsche involves being in the gear I want to be, exactly when I want to be.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I wouldn't buy a Porsche with an automatic no matter what they call it. I drove a dingleklunker (or whatever PDK stands for), it's an automatic, period. Flipping paddles doesn't feel like shifting a gearstick. If I want an automatic I'll get a Bimmer or a Benz, and get a quiet, smooth ride and 4 doors too. My gal can drive any stick (even a broomstick I think) but she can drive my Porsche home from the cemetary after they close up my grave.
AMEN! Couldn't have said it better!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, but a pdk is different matter. PDK is the wave of the future.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schwabische Auto
No, but a pdk is different matter. PDK is the wave of the future.
It's still an automatic...so no, I wouldn't buy anything but a manual for a sports car. If Porsche ever stopped offering manual transmissions, then I wouldn't buy one.

If I must get stuck with an automatic, then I might as well just buy a different vehicle altogether.

You can rationalize how much more efficient, quicker, easier, etc. an automatic (Tip or PDK) is. I don't care. I buy a sports car for fun and until they can connect MY brain (not some computer) to the transmission, I'll take a manual, thank you!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My first choice would be to have a manual transmission in a 911, but I would not hesitate to buy one with a PDK if it was optioned correctly. I drove a PDK equipped C4S Cab a while back and I was very impressed.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never owned a car with an automatic since I was 16. So, now more than 40 years later, my record is intact. I'll buy an automatic when manuals are no longer available. Otherwise, it will be a 6MT (7MT, 8MT???) Whatever. Just no auto, as good as PDK is, I just can't do it. Yeah, Tim I know - all I really need is reverse and 1st...

Last edited by Phil G.; 08-12-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM
racer
Drifting

Phil G - in your sig is a BMW with Steptronic- which is an automatic.. I assume someone else in your home "owns" that one
Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Phil G - in your sig is a BMW with Steptronic- which is an automatic.. I assume someone else in your home "owns" that one
Yep, although my wife can drive a manual well, she wanted an automatic for her work car. I gotta admit, I do like her car and the steptronic with paddle shifters is terrific. But, it's hers, not mine.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by OH997
New girlfriend doesn't drive stick and after getting divorced after 27 years of marriage I think I have to at least consider someone else's feelings but my own. Wait, that's my ex channeling through me.
Just like a bunch of gearheads focused on the manual vs. tip argument and NOT focusing on what the OP said ------- OK, here's what I see is wrong;

"New girlfriend doesn't drive stick" = OK, then you get to drive another car that's automatic - like a bimmer or VW

"after getting divorced after 27 years of marriage" = Congratulations!

"I think I have to at least consider someone else's feelings but my own" = WHY?

Come on man - grow a set!!! Your Porsche is "YOUR PORSCHE" not our Porsche. Lay down the ground rules EARLY about the P-car. Like - "No not even to the store and back". If you're as meticulous about your cars as I am, just imagine how you'd feel the first time she comes home with a door ding from the mall or (worse) a crunched fender and then says "don't worry honey, it's only a car" and then goes upstairs to try on her new clothes. Avoid the inevitable ensuing break up and JUST SAY NO!

My $.02
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tiptronic S with paddle shifters is quick. You can downshift, upshift whenever you want in the "M" mode. You can cruise in 3rd, 4th or 5th and downshift to speed up. The PDK is probably one of the best transmissions on the market. I had the opportunity to drive a MY10 Carrera with PDK, and the shifting is instantanous and is faster and quicker than the manual. The critics say the MY10 Turbo with PDK is probably the best sportscar out there for price, speed, fun and enjoyment. You can continue to shift your gears up and down in traffic, while I cruise along wiht my TIP S enjoyimg my day.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996 Pilot, grow a set? Really? Congratulations on the end of a 27 year marriage? Nice. i don't know you at all but I appreciate you drawing a conclusion about my manhood and the things i value in life.

To the rest of you thanks for the insight on the differences. I certainly understand the decision is ultimately mine but these forums are good for getting the opinions of others (most of the time) since most of us already know what we think?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
mavthenav
Racer

"New girlfriend doesn't drive stick" = Yes she does or she wouldn't be a new girlfriend, just tell her stick in the bedroom is pretty much the same as the stick in the car. Stick in the car just needs a little left foot action first.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by OH997
996 Pilot, grow a set? Really? Congratulations on the end of a 27 year marriage? Nice. i don't know you at all but I appreciate you drawing a conclusion about my manhood and the things i value in life.

Oops - a bit sensitive on the topic.

OK then the POLITICALLY CORRECT ANSWER to follow;

New girlfriend doesn't drive stick = Don't you worry about that I'll sell my car immediately and find one that is compatible for both of us. Do you have a choice of color honey?

after getting divorced after 27 years of marriage So sorry to hear this - I'm here for you if you ever need someone to talk to.

I think I have to at least consider someone else's feelings but my own It's good you're exploring the intricacies of your own feelings as well as that of others. Best to always put her feelings in front of yours as ultimately your happiness is derived from her happiness. Live in harmony my friend.

OK so my bottom line -- do your (scientific) research plus go drive a tip or better rent one for a few days (high end rentals DO exist). If you like it, buy it. Asking folks on a board to tell YOU whether a tip is better (or worse) than a manual is like asking the board to recommend an oil (brand and weight) or the best color car to buy. All of the rest of the data offered (eg., relationship, personal, etc.) here is subject to the responders feelings and responses. You offered it in a PUBLIC forum.

Finally, I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a TIP?