996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Perspective on 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were looking... my wife wanted to Pick up a 993T.... She liked the lines and thought it still retained the "OLD LINES"... The 996 was a better value and turned out too satisfy my needs more... Great car when my son was still small enough for the 3 of us to travel together... Now, it allows me to transform it into a track car... without all the worry about replacement cost.

In the current stable we have the 996 & an 06 Cayenne (wifes toy) with no regrets...
Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
This comment was particularly inane...

How to you compare value on a 1998 993 C2S, a pretty rare and desirable car with a plane jane 99 996?
pretty sure the 993's are not fetching as much $$ as they used to anyways but still.
I think you are way off the mark on the value of a 993 these days. Just try and actually get $50k for any n/a 993. The market is extremely soft.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 PM
jr1966
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
jr1966 thats exactly the same thing I did, I was torn between a 993 & a 996 & went with the 996 for exactly the same reasons. Now i'm not so sure i did the right thing considering the value has gone down $10,000 a year, had mine 2 years, and i really liked the look of the 993 with the widebody so much more. At the time i didn't do my homework on what Porsches that held there value more & which ones were the bastard step-child, now i do. But my car has been a very good one & i have had no issues except i can't get that damn ABS & brake light to go off & we have tried everything & still nothing has worked yet.
I bought my 996 when the market was down, therefore, I won't see a $10k/year drop. I don't think it's gonna go any lower and I don't see the 996 to end up a $10k car like the Boxster (well, I hope not). I'm still happy with my purchase as I guess I'm spoiled by modern conveniences. I still do see a 993 Coupe in my future as an addition to the fleet and only a 997 Cab could replace my 996 Cab. I do live in an area where Porsches are rare and not an everyday sight, where a common 996 sighting happens only once a month or a couple of months. I won't see my 996 to drop in value at least in where I live where an ordinary stock '00 996 cab with zero mods recently sold at $40k (from what I've heard).
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I love my 04 C4S Cab. It is by far the most fun car I have ever driven. However, having said that, after 5 years of ownership and 35K miles, I am a little shocked on how shoddy some of the workmanship is and the quality of the parts (especially electrical) that go into these cars. Let me start the list: oil pressure sender unit, radio works on/off sporiaticaly, heated seats (both, one a module one a heating unit in the seat), complete ECU failure (covered by CPO), 4 batteries ( 2 Porsche, 1 Die Hard, 1Interstate) due to overcharging 14+ volts ( unable to diagnose), cab top cable breakage, all in all, resulting in 4 tow trips to dealer or indy. In contrast, my wife's Toyota, nada, I mean, nada, only oil changes and regular maintenance in 75K miles. I have to agree, with author on the attitude of Porsche, not giving a hoot, about their clinetiele. If the IMS goes before 100K, it chould be covered by the Lemon Law. Their attitude is: "Sell the cars", don't give a darn about the true blue Porsche owners who buy the cars year after year. Some fat cat from Silicone Valley will come by and lease their cars, so why worry. PS, I still love my C4S, with her faults and all.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. In all my years of 996 ownership and 110,000 miles, I've replaced one battery, one voltage regulator, and a few sets of brake pads and tires. No leaks, no rattles. The car has run as reliably as any car I have ever owned and is my daily driver, but has also seen its share of track days and autocrosses.

Quick Reply: Perspective on 996