Just ran over a bucket of paint that splattered all over my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Thumbs down Just ran over a bucket of paint that splattered all over my car

Nice night tonight and I just got back from being in California for work, so of course we take the P-car out to pick up some food.

On the drive there I noticed a shiny liquid on the road but the sun was in my eyes and I couldn't tell what it really was. As I'm coming out of the restaurant I see white streaks all along the side of my car and my tires on the passenger side are bright white as well.

In a panic I rush home and pull out the hose nozzle and try to get as much of it off as I can. It took me about 90 minutes but at least it's all off of the paint on the car now. Unfortunately there is still some on the wheel wells, tire treads, and my muffler. I'm hoping it'll either burn off, fall off, or turn black so I can no longer see it.

I'm glad it was caught before it dried up but what a pain it was to deal with latex paint getting all over me!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Good that it was latex. Much easier to remove then enamel.i
Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

That sucks. Glad to hear you got it off the car. Btw - love the blue. I'm not a big fan of green, but somehow I'm on my 4th green car. Karma (Carma?) I guess.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

powerwash the wells, tires, exhaust etc.... it'll come off. I wouldnt leave that on your exhaust... it might bake on there.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

WD 40 also works well to remove fresh paint.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

"You got paint on my Porsche." "You got Porsche on my paint"

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was following a paint truck one time to close one time and it lost it's load of paint, however after looking at what happened to my car decided not to change a thing and took it right to the track.

Last edited by Mother; 06-02-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Drove over wet yellow road paint that dried. That did NOT buff out.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
That sucks. Glad to hear you got it off the car. Btw - love the blue. I'm not a big fan of green, but somehow I'm on my 4th green car. Karma (Carma?) I guess.
Thanks for the compliments. Just imagine that blue with streaks of unexpected white when approaching the car! The green is pretty rare from what I've seen so enjoy the rarity of the car!

Originally Posted by redridge
powerwash the wells, tires, exhaust etc.... it'll come off. I wouldnt leave that on your exhaust... it might bake on there.
I'll try the powerwashing today for the wheel wells and exhaust. My tires look like $hit with the white paint within the treads. To top it off I'm flushing out the brake fluid today to prepare for my DE so I'll get to stare at it during the whole process

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Good that it was latex. Much easier to remove then enamel.i
Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
I am glad it was just plain old latex paint and that it was still within 15 minutes of the incident when I was able to get started on cleaning it up. If it would have happened on a road trip or the way to work the end result would have been different I bet.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I'll give that a try on the wheel wells and the exhaust before powerwashing it. But for the tire treads I'll probably just leave it since I figure in a few days with driving it'll either fall off or be covered by the road grime.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
A few years ago, I was coming home at 2 or 3 AM escaping a bar hookup and ran into the road crew painting yellow lines. I was tired and did not realize it until next morning. It is still in my black BMW's wheel well. I now call my car bumble bee..
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be very careful with WD-40. It will remove the fresh paint for sure, but any residue left on your car's paint can potentially eat the clear coat and paint... (ask me how I know .... fortunately not on the Pcar)
Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could do some internet searching for latex removing. A heat gun might softer the paint more than the plastic. I'd make sure the plastic never gets too hot of course.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fast40th
Be very careful with WD-40. It will remove the fresh paint for sure, but any residue left on your car's paint can potentially eat the clear coat and paint... (ask me how I know .... fortunately not on the Pcar)
I only used it on the muffler and the wheel wells. I couldn't get it all off though and if you look in my wheel wells it looks really stupid. I'm hoping all of the rubber and dirt kicked up at my DE event in a couple of weeks will fix that.

Originally Posted by Pac996
You could do some internet searching for latex removing. A heat gun might softer the paint more than the plastic. I'd make sure the plastic never gets too hot of course.
I figured heat would do it but of course I'm worried about using a heat gun to the extreme. I figure latex isn't too good with heat anyway so in time the temperature around the wheel wells and of course the tires should break down the paint. If not then it'll be time for me to take the tires back off and just get to scrubbing - which is what I was trying to avoid!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 WD 40
Old 08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might look kind of cool...sort of like those neat factory splattery paint jobs you saw a few years ago at big events

Quick Reply: Just ran over a bucket of paint that splattered all over my car