996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Here's an example of why some dealers are referred to as stealers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best real Porsche parts prices I ever got were from Sunset Porsche. Wonder what happened???
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
I understand that there are pricing differences between dealers. What I don't understand why all porsche owners seem to feel that parts should be "free" or have little to no markup. A dealer has to pay for lots of things.. Shelf space, employees, healthcare, benefits, floorplans, rent etc etc. They are in business to make a profit and the service/parts side IS where the money is made (moreso than in sales).

I am glad some dealers give better pricing and that, thanks to Al Gore's internet, are learning that their local guy may not always be the cheapest. People can still vote with their wallets and I hope as smart consumers, people continue to do so.
I don't think anybody is begrudging a dealership making some profit. I think the real issue is how large the delta is among the full-boat prices and the discount prices for over-the-counter sales. If the list price dealers are loosing sales due to their higher prices then they may actually make more money by reducing prices a bit - or more. The trouble is that they really have no way to know how much business they may be loosing or how much they could gain due to price adjustments. Then again, if most of their parts are actually sold as part of a service visit then they have little incentive to adjust prices to accommodate over-the-counter parts sales.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think Tom hit the nail on the head...

Then again, if most of their parts are actually sold as part of a service visit then they have little incentive to adjust prices to accommodate over-the-counter parts sales
Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
P7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the real issue has to do with 2 things. One - the car brand that we have. We own a porsche, therefore we should pay whatever any porsche dealer feels like charging. Two - Porsche sales and dealers are very limited compared to other common car brands. I drove mostly Hondas/Acuras in the past and I have not come across any pricing differences in the parts between dealers at all - not even once.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not limited to Porsche dealers its endemic of the dealer mentality that they are somehow entitled and endowed with the right to rape their customers since competions is limited locally.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Not limited to Porsche dealers its endemic of the dealer mentality that they are somehow entitled and endowed with the right to rape their customers since competions is limited locally.

Not limited to car dealers.

Seems like the old addage of "An honest days work for an honest days pay" is just that, an "old addage"

Don't even get me started with professionals in the legal, finance and healthcare industries. These guys think there is no end to how much they should charge and my best friends are MDs, CPAs, CEOs and attorneys.

I frankly get tired of their whining (those that do) about how this and that seems over priced, when their salary is in the top 1-5%.

Quick Reply: Here's an example of why some dealers are referred to as stealers