Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Without resorting to Botox how do I get rid of wrinkle lines etc from fabric top

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Without resorting to Botox how do I get rid of wrinkle lines etc from fabric top

I have these unsightly wrinkles and spots where it appears to have rubbed inside the folding mechanism on the convertible top. What do you guys use to keep the top looking good?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Pictures please.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

btw I've used Raggtop before, and frankly wasn't terribly impressed with the cleaning capability, and the aerosol spray is horrible.

Maybe I'll try the 303 cleaner/protector?

What do you guys think
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
btw I've used Raggtop before, and frankly wasn't terribly impressed with the cleaning capability, and the aerosol spray is horrible.

Maybe I'll try the 303 cleaner/protector?

What do you guys think

I'm interested with what the folks here come up with as I have the same opinion of Raggtop and the same wrinkles/marks.

Does Porsche make a top dressing?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
audimotion
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 24 Posts

I've personally used 303 on my S4 cabriolet. Easy to apply and results were great. Really brought back the color of the top and also helped eliminate the wrinkle lines.
After using the fabric cleaner, I applied the protector and used my hand to work the product in. Works great and beads water for months. Good luck..
Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 PM
DougF
7th Gear

I was really happy with the 303 on my 2005 Boxter top (black). The cleaner really surprised me and it beads up really well when wet. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

There is little that can be done other than to keep the top up in hot weather to try to stretch out the material.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys - I just ordered the 303 kit.
I'll also be applying it with a microfiber cloth instead of spraying it on.
will provide some before/after pics
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys - I just ordered the 303 kit.
I'll also be applying it with a microfiber cloth instead of spraying it on.
will provide some before/after pics
I wouldn't use the microfiber...it clings to the top leaving fiber partials on the top. I would use hand or a synthetic sham. I use a quick mist detailer (silicone)with my hand to dust of the top.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
audimotion
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 24 Posts

Def. use the hand meathod. You will see what I mean once you start to spray the protector on. It will cling onto the top, and you'll have to work it in with your hand. Make sure not to get on the paint as it is hard to get off once it dries.
You'll be amazed at how it beads water.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM
2300cc
Instructor

I just treated my top with Griots convertible top conditioner and the next morning it was noticeably brighter and the color seemed to come back a little. The wrinkles also seemed to be reduced, I'll see what it looks like this weekend after it sits with the top up for the week.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

From Amazon:

"Customer Review

7 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
Good with a twist, March 5, 2009
By Kevin S. Stailey "ledzep_i"
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I have to start off with saying that if you have to do this job outside, you better hope for a very calm day with NO wind at all. But hey, there's a better way and you won't find this in the instructions but it works great. Open the container, pour it into a bucket. Add an equal amount of water and wash all of it into your top with a terry cloth. you should be able to apply at least 2 if not 3 coats. Allow to dry or nearly dry between coats. I worked it in in less than an hour total. This way it isn't blowing everywhere, you only get it on the top and not on windows or mirrors, etc, so all of the product goes on the top. As well, you get an even layer each time, so no hot spots or missed spots. it's all even. After the final coat let it dry. Now the good stuff. Does it work. You bet. I do this once a year and it lasts all year. In fact it may go longer but I do it every Spring anyway. The protection is really what you would expect from 3M. In case you didn't know, this was the product recommended for Verts from day one, it hasn't changed. The other guys, new stuff, forget the name, they paid to get the nod, their stuff is good too, but costs more and for what? In my book, the old school 3M Protector Kit is still the undefeated heavyweight. Try it. you'll like it. It does not leave any sticky residue, no crispy shiny wax looking effect. You cant tell the stuff is there until it rains, then you know, you're precious top is protected. I have an 03 vette, Black Vert. the color is still like new so a bonus for the UV Protection as well, yes I take to Maxie's here in Ga and set it beside a new blactop just to compare. No difference after 6 going on 7 years of using 3M's Kit. 303 works for me. hope you like it too. See Ya.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?
Report this | Permalink

Comments
Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov. 28, 2009 9:52 AM PST
SonzTwin says:
Good suggestion to spread rather than spray. I've always used this method even with Armor All on the dash board (with a paint brush, or just by hand).
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
Do you think this post adds to the discussion?
Posted on Dec. 31, 2009 1:15 PM PST
Diesel D says:
Great suggestion about wiping vs spraying. I got protectant on my window glass of my old car, and it was almost impossible to get off as I didn't notice the overspray until it had dried. Just got a new convertible, and won't make that mistake again.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
Do you think this post adds to the discussion?
Posted on Apr. 3, 2010 6:29 AM PDT
tjw says:
[Deleted by the author on Apr. 3, 2010 6:30 AM PDT]
Posted on Aug. 22, 2010 10:36 AM PDT
Frank Vigil says:
Well, I was almost going to use this method to apply - then, I started thinking...Mixing a water REPELLANT with WATER doesn't seem to make sense to me. Kind of like mixing oil and water, if you know what I mean. The product says it contains petroleum distillates - so, nope - didn't use the water. Applied directly from the bottle (after pouring in a bucket) with a paint brush. Seemed to work well, although for a while I thought I would run out...it did cover the entire roof of my Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder (with a little left over, which I applied to the seams as a second coat). Hope it works as well as others have said on my car!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, are any of you seeing significant color fading in your cloth tops? If so, how much does it stay out in the sun?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
So, are any of you seeing significant color fading in your cloth tops? If so, how much does it stay out in the sun?
I don't have color fading.
I have rub marks and wrinkles on the blue fabric
Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for 303 Convertible Top cleaning and care kit ( ebay) ; keeps the top looking new and water beads so it's easy to just wipe the water off lightly ( I use a well washed microfiber towel, so there aren't any loose fibers).

Quick Reply: Without resorting to Botox how do I get rid of wrinkle lines etc from fabric top