Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 11:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
I'm still trying to get a feel for the current condition of the motor. Be that I didn't find much in the pan when I dropped it recently or in the filter, I'm encouraged. I don't know how much use the photos were from sump. That was far more difficult than anticipated. I hope to see the results of the oil analysis next week. Mine being a 03 tip and likely having to drop the motor to do the ims, may as well as go all the way to the solution. Need more info first. AOS, RMS too at the same time, plus a bunch hoses etc, maybe sensors too.
LN Solution, do it once and never worry about it again.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Poppie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Boxster S New or Old IMS

I understand that Porsche upgraded the IMS design mid year 2005 in the Boxsters. I have a 2005 Boxster S and am trying to confirm that I have the new style bearing. Can I do this check using my VIN somehow? Other tagging on the car that can help me?

Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2021, 01:13 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,077 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppie
I understand that Porsche upgraded the IMS design mid year 2005 in the Boxsters. I have a 2005 Boxster S and am trying to confirm that I have the new style bearing. Can I do this check using my VIN somehow? Other tagging on the car that can help me?

Thanks!!
I would make the assumption that the bearing is replaceable. Regardless, you should have whatever shop you do the work at the bare minimum remove the grease seal off the original bearing if you end up having the larger, non-serviceable bearing:

https://lnengineering.com/products/t...s-bearing.html
Old 04-01-2021, 03:53 PM
bekks
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgmorr
Well, my plan was to replace my IMSB with the Pelican bearing with the intention of replacing it on an interval - 2-3 years possibly (about 5-8k km a year.) I just discovered that I have a dual row in my 01 and it feels even more firm rolling than the Pelican IMSB that I was planning to install. Would you guys put an old bearing back in or just go ahead with replacing?

I went with the Pelican kit because I can't justify the prices of the other kits (yes I will certainly regret it if I ever have an IMSB failure.) I have a shop and tools to do this job on an interval so I figured the Pelican kit was best for me.

I have a leaking RMS anyway so I had to get in there. It has the updated RMS and 3 row flange seal, I can only assume the previous owner decided to keep the dual row and just replace seals and clutch.

Is it even an IMSB job without a pic?
This might be equally unpopular to the single row Pelican bearing option, but I like it, and have done it twice. You can relatively easily find a 5204 2RS bearing (3204 is also the same as 5204) for about $50, which is a double row bearing. The difference between that and what you pulled out is the extra width where the spring groove sits (you will not find one with the machined groove, but it is possible to find one with the same width without the machined groove). The Pelican kit will work with a 5204 2RS, with a slight modification to the inner race spacer.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:46 PM
Dgmorr
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I decided to just go with the IMS Solution afterall. While a pretty easy job, I don't want to be doing it again lol
Originally Posted by bekks
This might be equally unpopular to the single row Pelican bearing option, but I like it, and have done it twice. You can relatively easily find a 5204 2RS bearing (3204 is also the same as 5204) for about $50, which is a double row bearing. The difference between that and what you pulled out is the extra width where the spring groove sits (you will not find one with the machined groove, but it is possible to find one with the same width without the machined groove). The Pelican kit will work with a 5204 2RS, with a slight modification to the inner race spacer.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:27 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bekks
This is really the way it should be, and to go further, I think there is a "generic" cylindrical option as well for about the same price. I went with one of the branded cylindrical bearings only because when I sell the car I think it would be difficult to explain to any degree of a buyer's satisfaction that the bearing is good to go even if it has no name. I could not and still have not found anyone claiming a failure of any of the cylindrical bearings.
I will add that the "Solution" is heavily discounted on ebay for over 30% off by the very manufacturer but under a different store name (type4store). They claim it is an "open box" or a "return" but I know someone who got a new sealed kit and got a deal on the tool rental from LN with no expensive prequalification, etc. Or, are they really selling "returns" that might be of a lessor quality. There are other ebay vendors selling at a discount too. Regardless, I wouldn't feel great about ever paying full price for "The Solution". Kinda sucks that vendors do this, but they do.
The following users liked this post:
bekks (04-08-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 06:47 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSC800
This is really the way it should be, and to go further, I think there is a "generic" cylindrical option as well for about the same price. I went with one of the branded cylindrical bearings only because when I sell the car I think it would be difficult to explain to any degree of a buyer's satisfaction that the bearing is good to go even if it has no name. I could not and still have not found anyone claiming a failure of any of the cylindrical bearings.
I will add that the "Solution" is heavily discounted on ebay for over 30% off by the very manufacturer but under a different store name (type4store). They claim it is an "open box" or a "return" but I know someone who got a new sealed kit and got a deal on the tool rental from LN with no expensive prequalification, etc. Or, are they really selling "returns" that might be of a lessor quality. There are other ebay vendors selling at a discount too. Regardless, I wouldn't feel great about ever paying full price for "The Solution". Kinda sucks that vendors do this, but they do.
Any kits sold on eBay in our Type4Store account are units that for one reason or another that have been flagged as having a small cosmetic imperfection or blemish but are otherwise 100% functional and have no damage or issue with them that would affect their performance (as stated in the auctions). This could be as simple as an imperfection on the anodizing on the spin on oil filter adapter.

As far as the pricing, we try to price match as best we can the other eBay sellers that are reselling our kits to give people the option of saving a few dollars on a kit if they are ok with a blem and still be able to buy them from the source. However, we do not offer free tool rental with kits sold through eBay - that is reserved for customers purchasing through LN's retail site. We started doing this only after several people called with bad experiences with other eBay sellers selling damaged or previously sold (and even fitted) parts.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:38 AM
Nyimetaay
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
But if you are under warranty. They will not give you any hassle at all… The new engines are upgraded. I am not sure what the upgrade is… But they are different.
Hello,

Just became the new owner of a 996.1! Excited and loving every corner so far! I've read just about everything on the 996 good and bad and have come to a good opinion that this 911 is the sweet spot.
I know just about all the history of this vehicle, but this last line you spoke of with the replacement engine being different, can you elaborate at all on this? It's been quite sometime now since you stated this and was wonder if more is known? My 996.1 had an warranty OEM engine replacement from Porsche, so I am curious as what could be different about it.

Happy to be here and excited to possible see any of you at meets!

Last edited by Nyimetaay; 04-13-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:28 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyimetaay
Hello,

Just became the new owner of a 996.1! Excited and loving every corner so far! I've read just about everything on the 996 good and bad and have come to a good opinion that this 911 is the sweet spot.
I know just about all the history of this vehicle, but this last line you spoke of with the replacement engine being different, can you elaborate at all on this? It's been quite sometime now since you stated this and was wonder if more is known? My 996.1 had an warranty OEM engine replacement from Porsche, so I am curious as what could be different about it.

Happy to be here and excited to possible see any of you at meets!
Depends on when the replacement was built. After 05 I think, the bigger 997 bearing. The only way to know for sure is to see it.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:15 PM
JBari
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Depends on when the replacement was built. After 05 I think, the bigger 997 bearing. The only way to know for sure is to see it.
My 02 had a replacement engine in 2013 by Porsche with only 17k mikes on it. I bought it last year from second owner with 43k. For piece of mind I had the IMS checked, RMS replaced and clutch checked. My replacement engine was an 05 with captured Ims but all current Porsche upgrades. My Indy said no reported failures on my bearing and drive it! I will monitor oil and replace it more often.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:56 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by JBari
My 02 had a replacement engine in 2013 by Porsche with only 17k mikes on it. I bought it last year from second owner with 43k. For piece of mind I had the IMS checked, RMS replaced and clutch checked. My replacement engine was an 05 with captured Ims but all current Porsche upgrades. My Indy said no reported failures on my bearing and drive it! I will monitor oil and replace it more often.
What do you mean by "captured IMS"?
Old 04-20-2021, 04:37 PM
JBari
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
What do you mean by "captured IMS"?
Late 05 engines to end of series had a different case from Porsche. To replace an IMS in these later engines the case has to be split. Who knows why they did this.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Late 05 engines to end of series had a different case from Porsche. To replace an IMS in these later engines the case has to be split. Who knows why they did this.
They knew they had a problem and changing the case casting wouldn't have been feasible, but redesigning the IMS was easily done. The larger 6305 non-serviceable bearing increased load capacity to match the original dual row bearing but had the added benefit of increasing surface speed for the ***** during operation. The increased surface speed reduces the lubrication requirements and also extends the life of the bearing.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:46 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

I'm still don't know what you mean by "captured IMS", but I think I follow you now.

Porsche updated the intermediate shaft with the mk2 996 3.6L VarioCam engine. Along with that came the dreaded 6204 small single-row bearing which was the most failure-prone and was phased out in '05. Then, starting with the 2006 model 997, Porsche introduced another updated shaft with the most robust bearing - the 6305 large single row. From what we know, Porsche recognized the 6204 couldn't handle the load within this application and replaced it with the 6305 bearing.

Therefore, I'm assuming you mean the 6305 bearing because it can not be extracted like the original dual row nor the 6204 single row. Correct?
Old 04-20-2021, 05:07 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,721 Likes on 881 Posts

Pretty simple. Captured/enclosed in the case. aka not removable. Well unless you want to drill the case

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)