The ultimate IMS UPGRADE = ENGINE LIFEGUARD

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up The ultimate IMS UPGRADE = ENGINE LIFEGUARD

Hi guys:

I'm anxious to tell you one of teh most important revolution we can get to make our M96 engines eternal. Forget the IMS issue. All of us know that there are some ways to reinforce the IMS, but any of them are like this: the ultimate solution to prevent a total engine failure due to a IMS issue.

In our spanish spoken forum, Soloporsche.com , we're very proud to have a really Porsche expert engineer who developed this fantastic and awesome idea. Our friend Rober, has designed a real solution:

Double bearing, large bearing support, reinforced external piece, specific compound material seals (triple advanced seal solution to avoid oil leaks)....

Our friend Rober created a web to explain how the kit works
(it will be in english / german next week)

http://www.insaroims.com/index.php

An hybrid ceramic compound bearing was used to achive a high endurance life
3 years warranty, excellent h.q. materials, but ......

... imagine that It could fail... the bearing could fail... what happens to the engine...????

Don't cry!!!! There is a second special bearing to work as an engine lifeguard

What do you think guys?

IMPORTANT: I don't sell anything. I don't have any commercial interest in this kit. I only want to share with you one the best advanced solutions for our engines.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like it it very thoughtfully engineered to me. Does he have a kit price and a good way to extract the old bearing?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Joaquin, it looks quite interesting! I don't know Spanish so I rely only on google translate. Is it correct that the inner bearing comes in action (rotate) ONLY when the outter (bigger) bearing fails? And without fresh oil to lubricate, can the inner bearing last long enough to warn the user? TIA
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bearing, and Support look very impressive.

Thing is, you shouldn't want ANY bearing to fail and just reside in the IMS while the backup takes over... are both sets of bearings lubricated by the engine oil as opposed to OEM design? if the first bearing seizes, what about the metal particles that can get circulated to the second bearing?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks decent to me, I think if the "main" bearing failed, it would be obvious as the cam timing would be way off ie: check engine light, rough running, reduced power, noise, etc.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Rober built this kit using high quality materials. After testing it, they know It's almost impossible to suffer a bearing fail. The bearing support was made in a large desing, and the all the elements are new, including the outer 3 screw piece. The kit erase the possibility of a blown engine due to a bearing fail.

This would be a very remote thing, because the quality of the pieces are great.
Rober is an excellent engineer who thought lots of ours on how to improve this critical area, and designed every piece with the best way.

The web next week It will be available in english.

I did a home made bearing support reinforcement, much stronger than L&N/Raby did. I think that my car is assured, but I'm going to change it and go for this solution, to forget any fear forever.

There's no comparison...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Van
Looks like it it very thoughtfully engineered to me. Does he have a kit price and a good way to extract the old bearing?
He offers an extracting tool

The prices are in the web (€) and there are several HD videos too
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Hi Joaquin, it looks quite interesting! I don't know Spanish so I rely only on google translate. Is it correct that the inner bearing comes in action (rotate) ONLY when the outter (bigger) bearing fails? And without fresh oil to lubricate, can the inner bearing last long enough to warn the user? TIA

He thought too much hours in the lubrication system, so I'm sure It's a problem solved. As I'm not an engineer, I coudn't answer you, but I'll ask it for you
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

it sure does look impressive Mayby at 163,000 I'll put yours in.... I just put someone elses in at 103,000
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000996MIA
Bearing, and Support look very impressive.

Thing is, you shouldn't want ANY bearing to fail and just reside in the IMS while the backup takes over... are both sets of bearings lubricated by the engine oil as opposed to OEM design? if the first bearing seizes, what about the metal particles that can get circulated to the second bearing?
If the front bearing were to fail, the IMS is rendered unusable in every case, but I wouldn't expect the ceramic front bearing to fail. Also, in a failure, the act of failure will take out the seals, effectively compromising both bearings (and the engine).

My concern is lack of lubrication for the rearmost bearing, or lack thereof especially without a rear ceramic bearing, and that bearing causing the front bearing to fail.

Secondly, the ims itself is not a precision piece except where the original bearing resides, so how do you install a precision bearing without machining (that is why our triple bearing requires machining of the ims) Also, the rear bearing is not ceramic.

Very nice machining regardless and very nice website.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

I'm not an expert, but We'll wait for an explanation from Rober to solve all the dubts.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So.. Thats the completed component as fitted and tested, huh??

I see one really obvious piece of critical machine work missing from the bearing flange posted. Fitting this piece as pictured is impossible, I will state why below.

Here is why:
See those reliefs that are cut in the factory flange and the LN billet flange?? Well, we had to work very hard to get those as large and as thick as possible without interference occurring between the toothed wheel attached to the flywheel that MUST remain in place and allow fitment.

The IMS " Engine Lifeguard" doesn't have ANY relief machined into it as pictured in any thread or on their website. The flange as pictured is just as thick (or thicker) than the LN flange (and stock flange) yet it does not incorporate the necessary relief to allow for fitment with any stock, non modified flywheel. For this reason I can state with confidence that the pictured flange and arrangement has not been fitted to a running test engine...

Something tells me that Rober doesn't have very much direct experience with an M96 engine, at least one with a flywheel fitted to it ready for operation.

We've provided some pictures taken with a bore scope so you can see this on an assembled engine. A borescope is necessary to get these pics because the area is tight and not well lit.

Look at the HEAVY interference of the of the flywheel ring is with the machined flange as pictured here. The LN flange even had MORE clearance than the factory flange!

This picture was taken from an all stock M96 engine outfitted with an LN IMS bearing flange that is being used for our "M96 101" Engine Assembly class that Charles and I are hosting as this is being posted. Tomorrow our students will see this interference first hand to quantify these pictures that we just took 5 minutes ago on our engine being used for the engine class. (I am sure these students are rennlist members)

Another possible interference issue that can be noted from the posted pictures is the interference that could come from the huge nut that is used on the super sized stud of this unit. Will the ring gear on the flywheel contact that nut when the flywheel is fitted? The most revised 22mm hex nut that is used by Porsche is very shallow in comparison to the unit pictured and that IMS flange is also more deeply recessed to allow for proper ring gear clearance as well.

I feel my points are valid to say the least, so the question is:
Has the pictured set of components been used in a test engine that utilized a stock non-modified flywheel? If so do you have pictures to illustrate how this was accomplished?

Now, I will also state that I am simply not being overly technical about this and posting because this is a similar product to what I have assisted LN in developing... The original poster stated the following and I have some issues with this, because he mentioned my name:

Rober is an excellent engineer who thought lots of ours on how to improve this critical area, and designed every piece with the best way.
He may be.. The solid models are excellent, but based on what I see in these pictures this part wasn't made "in the best way" because it doesn't appear that the flywheel will even be able to fit without interfering heavily with the bearing flange.

I did a home made bearing support reinforcement, much stronger than L&N/Raby did. I think that my car is assured, but I'm going to change it and go for this solution, to forget any fear forever.
And you used the tool kit that I sold to you to extract that bearing and even to install the new bearing, and by using the methods that we developed. We even see our tools in the photos that are pictured on insaro's site. I will reference your invoice Monday to find the date this was done.

There's no comparison..
No, because ours actually fits.

You have gone out of your way to make negative comments about what we have done, about how it may not be optimum or how it can be improved on in this and previous posts. Had you not done this I would have never made this post in your thread about the "IMS Engine Lifeguard".

Most "Lifeguards" have to know how to swim themselves before they can help others..

So where are the pictures of this unit (as pictured earlier in this thread) fitted with a stock non-modified flywheel onto a running engine?

How has this unit been tested in engine operation if a flywheel cannot be fitted due to the notable interference?

The good thing is the fact that NO ONE can ever say the LN unit is overpriced if this bad boy cost roughly 1700.00 USD according to the current exchange rate!

I also cannot believe that this thread touting a new product being posted by a non rennlist paying sponsor has lasted in this forum as long as it has. Had I done this the thread would have been removed and my wrists would have been slapped within a matter of hours.. It has happened before when I simply mentioned a product after directly answering someone's question about it in a thread I didn't even start! I have to watch every word I say to even be able to post in this forum. AMAZING!

Last edited by Jake Raby; 01-11-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
So.. Thats the completed component as fitted and tested, huh??

I see one really obvious piece of critical machine work missing from the bearing flange posted. Fitting this piece as pictured is impossible, I will state why below.

Here is why:
See those reliefs that are cut in the factory flange and the LN billet flange?? Well, we had to work very hard to get those as large and as thick as possible without interference occurring between the toothed wheel attached to the flywheel that MUST remain in place and allow fitment.

The IMS " Engine Lifeguard" doesn't have ANY relief machined into it as pictured in any thread or on their website. The flange as pictured is just as thick (or thicker) than the LN flange (and stock flange) yet it does not incorporate the necessary relief to allow for fitment with any stock, non modified flywheel. For this reason I can state with confidence that the pictured flange and arrangement has not been fitted to a running test engine...

Something tells me that Rober doesn't have very much direct experience with an M96 engine, at least one with a flywheel fitted to it ready for operation.

We've provided some pictures taken with a bore scope so you can see this on an assembled engine. A borescope is necessary to get these pics because the area is tight and not well lit.

Look at the HEAVY interference of the of the flywheel ring is with the machined flange as pictured here. The LN flange even had MORE clearance than the factory flange!

This picture was taken from an all stock M96 engine outfitted with an LN IMS bearing flange that is being used for our "M96 101" Engine Assembly class that Charles and I are hosting as this is being posted. Tomorrow our students will see this interference first hand to quantify these pictures that we just took 5 minutes ago on our engine being used for the engine class. (I am sure these students are rennlist members)

Another possible interference issue that can be noted from the posted pictures is the interference that could come from the huge nut that is used on the super sized stud of this unit. Will the ring gear on the flywheel contact that nut when the flywheel is fitted? The most revised 22mm hex nut that is used by Porsche is very shallow in comparison to the unit pictured and that IMS flange is also more deeply recessed to allow for proper ring gear clearance as well.

I feel my points are valid to say the least, so the question is:
Has the pictured set of components been used in a test engine that utilized a stock non-modified flywheel? If so do you have pictures to illustrate how this was accomplished?

Now, I will also state that I am simply not being overly technical about this and posting because this is a similar product to what I have assisted LN in developing... The original poster stated the following and I have some issues with this, because he mentioned my name:

He may be.. The solid models are excellent, but based on what I see in these pictures this part wasn't made "in the best way" because it doesn't appear that the flywheel will even be able to fit without interfering heavily with the bearing flange.

And you used the tool kit that I sold to you to extract that bearing and even to install the new bearing, and by using the methods that we developed. We even see our tools in the photos that are pictured on insaro's site. I will reference your invoice Monday to find the date this was done.

No, because ours actually fits.

You have gone out of your way to make negative comments about what we have done, about how it may not be optimum or how it can be improved on in this and previous posts. Had you not done this I would have never made this post in your thread about the "IMS Engine Lifeguard".

Most "Lifeguards" have to know how to swim themselves before they can help others..

So where are the pictures of this unit (as pictured earlier in this thread) fitted with a stock non-modified flywheel onto a running engine?

How has this unit been tested in engine operation if a flywheel cannot be fitted due to the notable interference?

The good thing is the fact that NO ONE can ever say the LN unit is overpriced if this bad boy cost roughly 1700.00 USD according to the current exchange rate!

I also cannot believe that this thread touting a new product being posted by a non rennlist paying sponsor has lasted in this forum as long as it has. Had I done this the thread would have been removed and my wrists would have been slapped within a matter of hours.. It has happened before when I simply mentioned a product after directly answering someone's question about it in a thread I didn't even start! I have to watch every word I say to even be able to post in this forum. AMAZING!
First af all, good morning Jake:

Yes, I did something similar to your solution, but I used a large custom made bearing support, following the advices from my mechanic and copying what barracuda did in the following link:

http://soloporsche.com/showthread.php?t=33716

(By the way, barracuda don't speak english, It's not very keener in the internet, and all what he did was by himself, trying to use logical solution. He is an amateur mechanic. His brother in-law works is a bearing dealer and advised him to use a SKF hybrid ceramic compound instead of steel one. Iused the same too instead of Timke. He didn't hear about you never).

(You can see what I did in my signature link) . I purchased from you the oil filter adapter, oil filter and magnetic drain plug. Besides, I purchased your extracting tool and gave it to my mechanic to be used more times as I don't need it.

I have no relationship with Rober. He is a soloporsche fellow (I am one of the 3 admin), and he has all the rights to try to develop whatever he wants as an engineer.
It's very easy to critizice something in a picture when you think that It could affect to your company. His solution works, was tested properly, and people can choose yours or Rober solution. If it's cheaper or more expensive, is another question. I only posted Insaro solution to share it with rennlist people. Ihave no interest in Insaro company, because It is not my cup of tea. I work as a jewellery maker, not in engineering world.

My car has only 41.300 km. My clutch is in perfect condition. I don't know when, but I'll probably go for insaro solution when I'd have to change it. Not just now. I don't know how much time, but I'm not going to spend more money now as it's nor necessary, because I have a good reinforcement in my 911)
I said there's no comparison because Insaro solution is completely different from yours. Not to critizice yours.
I think that LN is quite good, and I did a huge defense from you in several previous post here in rennlist. Just do a search.

Besides: I am one of the 3 owners of soloporsche. I posted your company since I knew it. It's posted in a attached thread in our general Forum.... COMPLETELY FREE. I wrote lots of good things of your company in Soloporsche. Do a search. If any soloporsche user knows a bit from your company It's thanks to me. If you have sold any piece to Spain, was thanks to me. So don't make those comments because you don't have reason.

So go you don't need to look for my invoice. Here you have it:

(My mechanic did the work February 16 th 2010) = the complete task: http://pasionporsche.com/component/c...ms-996-36.html

I'll wait Rober comments here to make a defense of your questions, because you are making a hard critic to Insaro Kit referred to the flange I have no information nor training and no need to response. But the only thing I can say It's that no one engineer would develop and sell anything without testing properly.

I've being a reenlist member for 5 years... You were critized for several members who told you wanted to sell your products here... remember it. Last year I did'nt renove the membering, but I'll do it in the future again, because I love this forum.
I insist you to do a search and you'll find lots of positive comments to you from me. It's easy forget it when an interested stuff exist. I don't have any interest in anything, and I can write free because I do NOT have any interest in any company, any product, or any investement. So don't say that the original poster is not a sponsor member because It has no meaning, as I have no Insaro relationship with, when I've been a rennlist member since 2005 and the last 4 years contributing member. Are you contributing member, or rennlist Sponsor? I'm not, but I've seen lots of rennlisters posting lots of info about several products, very interesting for the community, without any commercial interest in them. I'm only a Porsche enthusiastic, and think that rennlist and the rest of Porsche community would be better, richer as much shared information we'd get

Here you have the link of soloporsche when I gave you free publicity:

http://soloporsche.com/showthread.php?t=33774 (edited including Insaro solution 2 days ago)

Look at the first poster date of the original post.

Had I ask you any duck for posting it anytime?????????????? NO, I hadn't. Because my way to understand this is different. I'm free. I don't earn money in automotive world. If I were working in a automotive company, I'll have to be ready to asume that others could make me a competence. Automotive market is infinite worldwide.

Soloporsche have NO publicity
Soloporsche is a free advertisement forum, paid for 3 admin/owners

I hope It was clear for everybody.
But I repeat:
I don't sell anything. This is a Porsche enthusiastic community, where I think everybody must share all the things to make it better.

I do really appreciate your work. I learnt a lot of details reading your webs, and consider that they are great.
If I were someone with dark interest in other company to make you a rivalry, I had never advised a friend of mine (soloporsche user, called Jonathan from La Rioja, Spain. You both can look for the invoice too) to purchase a kit for a 996 Carrera Cabrio MK2 from you, or LN (you could see it in the last 2 month dates). My mechanic, Altozano did the upgrade work last week. So I don't understand what you said about me. I don't want you to give special thanks to me, because I tried to help my friend, but I don't like this kind of comments.

Sorry for my english. It's not easy to me and perhaps sometimes I make many mistakes and It's difficult to understand what I mean.

Regards from Madrid, Spain

Last edited by juankimalo; 09-18-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No rivalry... I really have no issue with you at all, except wondering if the tools that you bought were used to extract these bearings or if those tools and processes will be taken advantage of by someone else commercially.. If they are, then so be it because you bought them, but it is still no fun for us.

The fact is that MY CUSTOMERS and MY FRIENDS have had threads deleted and locked on this forum and others that you posted this same thread in when they also had no commercial interest and were simply posting their experiences, with what we have provided just as you have done in this thread. In one of those situations a member was banned from one of those forums after posting he had visited me and was impressed with the work we had done and how we did business. He had no interest in what we did, yet that was assumed and he got the boot. Just seems kind of odd to me, but I don't want to come off as a whiner thats crying about fairness.. These people have "written free" about what we do and have caught all sorts of flack for it, but that hasn't happened this time.

I'll add that I made my first post when Rennlist was a "list".. Thats when the M96 engine was just released.

At this point I just want to see how this has been made to function with a stock non-modified flywheel, thats all. I am asking this more from a standpoint of wondering how something with such heavy interference in stock form can be fitted. I await Rover's response eagerly.

BTW- No one has called you a "Fearmonger" yet either.. Hell, that would have happened to me 20 times by lunch time yesterday!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
No rivalry... I really have no issue with you at all, except wondering if the tools that you bought were used to extract these bearings or if those tools and processes will be taken advantage of by someone else commercially.. If they are, then so be it because you bought them, but it is still no fun for us.
I purchased one extracting tool. My mechanic hadn't any extracting tool for the inner bearing, and wanted to build up a home made tool, similar as "barracuda" did (in the previous link is visible), so I decided to purchase one made by you, as I saw in the web, to make it easier. The only different thing was that I had to bring the pusher to a lathe operator (the same worker who made me a large bearing support) to allow a large screw. This tool was paid by me. I don't need it, and was given to my mechanic. He used it last week to do a new LN installing kit work in Jonathan's car. This tool wasn't used with commercial purpose. It's obvious that the tool was used to extract my OEM bearing. That's why it was designed for and and that's what I purchased it: to help my mechanic and avoid loose time on other things.

Jake, I talked to Rober, to come here and give all the needed explanations.
I'm sure you'll be very surprised when you'd read what he's going to say about the Insaro Kit. Really works perfect and that's why was world patented. I'm anxious to read him, because my english is not good enough to translate it here with too much technical words ans expressions

Last edited by juankimalo; 09-18-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: The ultimate IMS UPGRADE = ENGINE LIFEGUARD