Sponsored by:

Request repairing rock chips and scriatches

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Request repairing rock chips and scriatches

Black '99 Cab and the paint looks terrible.
Is Dr. ColorChip the consensus to touch up the little specks and spots?
Would You....
Wash
Compound to remove any wax remaining
Dr. ColorChip
Compound again to smooth it out
Finish with a wax
I could wash with something that removes the wax instead of the first compound but don't know what that would be since the car wash stuff is supposed to hold the wax and they "say" anything else could damage the paint. Thanks for your advice guys
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried DR.ColorChip for the few specks on my hood. Sorry to say that I'm not overwhelmed. Maybe it's me but this is no panacea as I can still see the chips.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Use some clear coat polishing compound and an orbital waxer/polisher. See what it looks like then. If many of the chips are deeper and dont come out , The next agressive step would be to buff it with fine compound but that should be done by a pro. Not every chip is going to come out. Some are completely chipped out paint. The only way to get paint back on it is to repaint the panel.
Its not forbidden to just repaint a part of the car. Youll spend more time and money fooling around with gimmics and never get good results. Its alot more sensable to have some parts painted back new again than to leave them looking used and nasty.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Use some clear coat polishing compound and an orbital waxer/polisher. See what it looks like then. If many of the chips are deeper and dont come out , The next agressive step would be to buff it with fine compound but that should be done by a pro. Not every chip is going to come out. Some are completely chipped out paint. The only way to get paint back on it is to repaint the panel.
Its not forbidden to just repaint a part of the car. Youll spend more time and money fooling around with gimmics and never get good results. Its alot more sensable to have some parts painted back new again than to leave them looking used and nasty.
With the amount of time/energy/materials you would use to do the paint chips, you would be much happier with the faster results of getting the car repainted. But my suggestion would be to document the fact that the car DID NOT get into an accident, but only was repainted for aesthetics. Take before/after pics with dates for documentation along with paperwork.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
With the amount of time/energy/materials you would use to do the paint chips, you would be much happier with the faster results of getting the car repainted. But my suggestion would be to document the fact that the car DID NOT get into an accident, but only was repainted for aesthetics. Take before/after pics with dates for documentation along with paperwork.
Good advice! +1

I'd maybe just have the bumper cover and hood repainted, It shouldn't cost too much. Often the touch ups look worse than the chips ever did.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

My bumper and hood were very paint chipped as well. I ended up having my body shop repaint both pieces. It looks so much better than before. I recommend it if it bothers you that much. It was about $800 out of my pocket though.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your not going to "buff" as many chips out as you think, nor as many to satisfy you. Waxing/buffing out some of the chips, then the paint is spotless and shiny; only brings out the chips left behind. Respray is the only true remedy. Then you have to consider the matching of the rest of the paint. Really depends on what your willing to live with. The joys of black car ownership...

This coming from a man that has owned 3 black cars and owns a variable speed buffer and dual orbiter oscillating polisher and decades of detailing experience.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Geeforce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when folks have the front bumper and hood resprayed, are the bodyshops laying down just the clear coat or are they also spraying the color coat as well? My concern is about the color match to adjacent panels. Anyone on this board know about this process?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is my Dr Colorchip experience. Definitely worked for me...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-results.html
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Geeforce
when folks have the front bumper and hood resprayed, are the bodyshops laying down just the clear coat or are they also spraying the color coat as well? My concern is about the color match to adjacent panels. Anyone on this board know about this process?
It depends what color you have. Typically, body shops will blend panels together if necessary. IF you only get a bumper repainted you wont notice the difference as much without blending compared to a fender.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear you that re-spray is better and Dr. Colorchip may/may not be satisfactory but why wouldn't you try the $60 option before the $1000 option? It's not going to make the respray more expensive if you don't like the results is it?
I have already tried compounding and buffing.
I'm not undedrstanding the hierarchy and economics of the "don't bother with DR. CC go straight with the re-spray" advice. What is the disadvantage of giving it a try? Thanks for being patient with me here and explaining to me.

Quick Reply: Request repairing rock chips and scriatches