Sponsored by:

"New" 1999 C4 shake-down - hints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice!! Super clean, and almost new with such low miles! Enjoy it!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 PM
StolenMoneyStolen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update FWIW...

So I picked up the car from the dealer servicing--relatively clean bill of health. Oil change and brake fluid flush. $350. Ran the VIN and found a gas cap recall. Mechanic couldn't believe how clean it was--which of course made me feel reasonably well that I made a decent buy. Of course the dealer did try to get me to do the RMS which they said was "seeping." However, they seemed to back off on the matter when I said that I had been watching the garage floor with a critical eye and hadn't noticed a single drop.

This weekend the snow tires go on :-)

I also hope to test the Porsche roof rack that I bought off the PCA classifieds; it's all coming together.....
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by StolenMoneyStolen
So I picked up the car from the dealer servicing--relatively clean bill of health. Oil change and brake fluid flush. $350. Ran the VIN and found a gas cap recall. Mechanic couldn't believe how clean it was--which of course made me feel reasonably well that I made a decent buy. Of course the dealer did try to get me to do the RMS which they said was "seeping." However, they seemed to back off on the matter when I said that I had been watching the garage floor with a critical eye and hadn't noticed a single drop.

This weekend the snow tires go on :-)

I also hope to test the Porsche roof rack that I bought off the PCA classifieds; it's all coming together.....
Don't mean to darken your day but the seep on a RMS is just a matter of time. I would have had it done.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Don't mean to darken your day but the seep on a RMS is just a matter of time. I would have had it done.
I would do the RMS and a LN IMS upgrade ($600) at the same time. it would be good insurance on a '99 11K mile car.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 17k on my car when I bought it in '07. The RMS was also seeping, according to the PPI. When I started driving it, the seeping stopped! Just saying.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep a car sitting around not going through heat cycles with oils flowing will have gaskets and seals leakings more than usual. Even seen some hard rubbers turn to sponge from sitting around. Do a gentle break in to get the seals to rejuvinate and watch for leaks in case one gives out from being too soft. Or just relace if thats the route you prefer.

One of the bad things of cars sitting is oil sediments having a sit around and tuning into hardened garbage on metal surfaces. It's like letting a kid make food on the counter and not cleaning up the mess and letting it dry hard. Just running cleaner over it wont clean things up after that. Of course an engine oil path is sort of like a hot solvent tank bath so things might clean up well.

After things get settled and you are comfortable try crusing along on a long stretch of road with a high speed limit. Here is the thing I would do on that stretch of road. Get into a gear where you can exercise the rpms back and forth below and above the variocam operation range. Go back and forth from around 2.5k and 4k rpms to make sure the piston section that operates the cams is being functioned and hopefully getting cleaned up. I hope the material on the cam adjusters isn't prone to rotting from sitting around not being used. Thats one reason watching the oil removed from the car will be helpful to see if that sort of stuff is falling apart.

You have found a great car to keep for a long time. The 99 might be a super collector one of these day. I've tried having friends drive my car while I sit there for the ride. I know many guys would love to own a prorsche so I try to give them the thrills needed. It seems anybody I let drive the car is always playing like they are rolling the space shuttle back and forth along the launch pad. The car will launch very nicely and radically at times when in the higher revs. Just make sure you have it well broken in with the seals all tight and have some fun down the road from time to time.

Fantastic car you have. Good luck the first time you get pulled over by the police

Oh yah, nice dog. Mans best friend for sure.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Redtop for german auto's.

RMS and LNEngineering IMS a must , don't wait.

23k on a 2002.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That ground cable is under some stress there!!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Yah I'm believing most cars could use a bogger battery. I'm not sure if 48 variety is the largest that can fit. I do know there are some brutal cold days in some parts of germany so the bigger the better.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Marlon
Drifting

...it's part of the tie-down system
Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,127 Likes on 428 Posts

If I were you...and some may not agree with this, but change the fluids, and give it a nice 50 mile break in, with varying RPMS. Than wind that motor out and put it through its paces. I would suggest a IMS bearing, your cars milage and year is a prime canidate for failure according to the rennlist rumor mill.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Great find!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything they all ^^^ just said. Once you get all that done, you gotta cherry on your hands. Looks great.

Quick Reply: "New" 1999 C4 shake-down - hints?