Sponsored by:

X74 suspension information request

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reynwerkes
One other thing, i found that the factory settings for the X74 cause the car's rear end to be VERY twitchy.
I suspect the twitchiness in the rear was caused by a problem somewhere. I didn't have any issues with the factory X74 settings. Pretty stable and biased towards understeer at the limit. Even with my new settings at front -1 rear -2, the car feels pretty stable; tends towards understeer at the limit most of the time.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to dial the understeer out is: GT3 lower control arms & more camber... Currently, I am at -2.7 front (GT3 arms front) / -2.3 rear ~ max w/o GT3 arms rear)
Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
IIRC the sway bars that come with the X74 kit are the same as the US/ROW M030 kit sway bars. A little stiffer than stock. They are not adjustable.
Correct.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Originally Posted by CWhaley
The only way to dial the understeer out is: GT3 lower control arms & more camber... Currently, I am at -2.7 front (GT3 arms front) / -2.3 rear ~ max w/o GT3 arms rear)
Is this on your track car?

On a street car your rears wouldn't last very long with that much camber! Mine didn't
Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

It is 95% track... 5% street
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the X74 on my C2 for 2 years and I have driven several 996's and 986's with PSS9's and two 996 GT3's with stock suspensions.

Here's my thoughts.

- The x74 is stiff. Far stiffer than stock US settings and much stiffer than the PSS9 (even with the dampening cranked up). My sense is that it is every bit as stiff as the Mk II 996 GT3. I'm not saying it will outhandle the GT3 as spring stiffness is only one factor (out of many) that must act in harmony with the other suspension components. I'm only trying to say that this system is not for the faint of heart. If you want a system that will transform the handling sharpness and precision of you car this is for you. However, the tradeoff is a big increase ride harshness. You will feel everything, period. Every bump, ripple, and highway expansion joint will be felt. If you are looking for "the look" of a reduced ride height and want some improved handling without that degree of harshness, the PSS9 will probably suit your needs better, however in my opinion I think the x74 is somewhat better than the PSS9 in outright handling and sharpness.

- The big disadvantage of the x74 is lack of adjustability (this could be an advantage depending on how you look at it). The x74 offers no adjustability of the, ride height, dampener settings or the bars. This is bad if you really want to play around with the settings. It's good from the standpoint that Porsche already did that for you so you can't screw it up.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

One thing Ed (Ivangene) told me (when he was active on RL...where the %#!@*$%&!!! is he?) was go for the best. I wanted more cowbell and I realized I would not be happy with ROW M030 or the PSS9/10 route. I would love it for a little bit but would start to think I want more. So I cut out the 2nd step and got the X74.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
I suspect the twitchiness in the rear was caused by a problem somewhere. I didn't have any issues with the factory X74 settings. Pretty stable and biased towards understeer at the limit. Even with my new settings at front -1 rear -2, the car feels pretty stable; tends towards understeer at the limit most of the time.
Hmmm...not to hijack this thread by any idea what may have caused the excessive twitchiness?
One of the most respected alignment shops in town did my alignment and used the spec's provided previously. After that my rear end would move left to right or right to left at the slightest bump or imperfection in the road.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anybody tried mixing the X74 springs with ROW 030 shocks.... I have ROW 030 and I really like the compromise between track and street... handles really well and car is still usable on a daily basis with no scraping....

I'm curious if the x74 springs would be a good option for ROW 030 shocks in that it would lower the car for the "look" and a bit more handling performance without the extreme harshness of the x74 shocks?

Like Ray said above.... if X74 is like MKII GT3... that is a HARD ride for sure... I would tend to agree...
Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind the hard ride. I want something better than what I have. It sounds like X74 is the way to go. If I ever get into tracking the car extensively, by the time I learn enough to need adjustable, I'll be needing new shocks and springs (and probably a hip and new teeth...since it'll take me that long).
Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Um...that is strange. My x74 is ROCK solid. No twitchiness whatsoever.

Hmmm...not to hijack this thread by any idea what may have caused the excessive twitchiness?
One of the most respected alignment shops in town did my alignment and used the spec's provided previously. After that my rear end would move left to right or right to left at the slightest bump or imperfection in the road.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

What do you have now? If stock, ANYTHING will be better

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I don't mind the hard ride. I want something better than what I have. It sounds like X74 is the way to go. If I ever get into tracking the car extensively, by the time I learn enough to need adjustable, I'll be needing new shocks and springs (and probably a hip and new teeth...since it'll take me that long).
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The twitchiness your car is experiencing is from improper Toe settings in the rear.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
anybody tried mixing the X74 springs with ROW 030 shocks.... I have ROW 030 and I really like the compromise between track and street... handles really well and car is still usable on a daily basis with no scraping....

I'm curious if the x74 springs would be a good option for ROW 030 shocks in that it would lower the car for the "look" and a bit more handling performance without the extreme harshness of the x74 shocks?

Like Ray said above.... if X74 is like MKII GT3... that is a HARD ride for sure... I would tend to agree...
Not sure why someone would want to fiddle with an engineered system like this. That is why Porsche made the X74 and ROW M030 as separate systems. I think mixing parts would be a mistake IMHO.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
I've had the X74 on my C2 for 2 years and I have driven several 996's and 986's with PSS9's and two 996 GT3's with stock suspensions.

Here's my thoughts.

- The x74 is stiff. Far stiffer than stock US settings and much stiffer than the PSS9 (even with the dampening cranked up). My sense is that it is every bit as stiff as the Mk II 996 GT3. I'm not saying it will outhandle the GT3 as spring stiffness is only one factor (out of many) that must act in harmony with the other suspension components. I'm only trying to say that this system is not for the faint of heart. If you want a system that will transform the handling sharpness and precision of you car this is for you. However, the tradeoff is a big increase ride harshness. You will feel everything, period. Every bump, ripple, and highway expansion joint will be felt. If you are looking for "the look" of a reduced ride height and want some improved handling without that degree of harshness, the PSS9 will probably suit your needs better, however in my opinion I think the x74 is somewhat better than the PSS9 in outright handling and sharpness.

- The big disadvantage of the x74 is lack of adjustability (this could be an advantage depending on how you look at it). The x74 offers no adjustability of the, ride height, dampener settings or the bars. This is bad if you really want to play around with the settings. It's good from the standpoint that Porsche already did that for you so you can't screw it up.
Thanks for this post I was looking for someone that had driven them all and had the seat feel of the different ones...

Quick Reply: X74 suspension information request