Sponsored by:

X74 suspension information request

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X74 suspension information request

Is there a good write up somewhere for the X74 suspension? Just pondering what to do next and was looking at this set up since its supposedly stiffer than the PSS9/10. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stiffer isn't always better if you ask me. Adjustability to suit your specific needs is far more advantageous.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
V225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are knowledgeable in suspension tuning, you can just as easily screw things up than make them better. This is exactly why I got the x73. It's still on order though, so I can't post impressions yet.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

The X74 really transformed my car. It is a fixed suspension just bolt on, get an alignment and go drive. It really is not that stiff....maybe because I have had it for a year now I don't realize the stiffness anymore..plus I'm driving local speed limits on the street. I can say that at speed on the track is when you really notice the capability of the X74. This is the BEST mod I have done so far. Well worth it!

The things I have read worth reading about the X74 are here on RL. There are several threads devoted to it. I think the PSS9/10 could possibly be stiffer because you could adjust complete hard.

Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 11-04-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The X74 really transformed my car. It is a fixed suspension just bolt on, get an alignment and go drive. It really is not that stiff....maybe because I have had it for a year now I don't realize the stiffness anymore..plus I'm driving local speed limits on the street. I can say that at speed on the track is when you really notice the capability of the X74. This is the BEST mod I have done so far. Well worth it!

The things I have read worth reading about the X74 are here on RL. There are several threads devoted to it. I think the PSS9/10 could possibly be stiffer because you could adjust complete hard.
+1

Unless you really love to test-n-tune your suspension, you're unlikely to ever get an adjustable kit's settings dialed in optimally for your car. The X73 & X74 kits come preassembled with Bilstein shocks and springs that were factory-tuned by Porsche for your vehicle. No other kit offers that. They don't squeak, rattle, bind, leak or need adjusting... they just work beautifully right out of the box. It's a great setup for street through advanced DE usage including r-compound tires. I speak from experience on this. The only downside is that you can't really corner-balance the car since they are not threaded. For most people, that shouldn't be a deal-killer.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by V225
Unless you are knowledgeable in suspension tuning, you can just as easily screw things up than make them better. This is exactly why I got the x73. It's still on order though, so I can't post impressions yet.
Im looking at the X73 also. Where did you order them? Suncoast has them priced around $2500 I believe.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Check across the pond with Gert at Carnewal.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Check across the pond with Gert at Carnewal.
Thanks Pete. I see Gert's kit comes with motor mounts as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
V225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Im looking at the X73 also. Where did you order them? Suncoast has them priced around $2500 I believe.
Ordered from Suncoast almost a month ago. It's supposed to take 4 weeks to come so hopefully they'll be here soon. I figure another 1k for install. Not cheap, but from the other threads on here, everyone who has the x73/74 loves it.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to drive a cab with stock US suspension, now I drive a coupe with X74. X74 pros and cons from my point of view:

- US stock suspension is crap, even for the street. It's too tall and soft. At around 80+ mph the front end gets kind of floaty. On the track and autocross, it's really soft and there is a lot of body roll. But it is comfy when hitting potholes. The ROW M030 should have been the stock suspension in the US. The X74 should have been the sport suspension.
- X74 is a lot lower and stiffer than stock, but not too low and stiff for the street. I have the Euro GT3 seats and it's fine. It's not as low and stiff as the GT3 suspension, but on the suspension spectrum it feels closer to GT3 than to stock. I scrape some driveways and speed bumps. The high speed floaty front end is gone and so is the annoying body roll. I can feel the car take a set in the corners without the sensation I am on a boat. The handling of the car in turns feels much more quick and snappy for both track and autocross. Slaloms are a joy.
- As a compromise suspension for the street/track it's great. If the car never sees track/autocross then I don't know if the pros outweigh the cons.
- X74 is genuine Porsche part so it's designed and optimized for just our cars out of the box. Don't know if that helps for warranty claims, but it can't hurt.
- Ready to go out of the box, no adjustments. This is a double edged sword. Don't have to find a knowledgeable shop to set up the suspension or worry that it's not right, but can't change anything you don't like e.g. ride height, corner balance. I'll be the first to admit that on the track I am a crap drover, so it will be a while before suspension tuning becomes a factor for me.
- I am using the Porsche recommended X74 alignment settings but camber is changed to front -1 deg, rear -2 deg. I like this setting so far. For me it doesn't feel twitchy but doesn't plow either.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Agree with Smackboy stock suspension is JUNK in comparison (actually no comparison). The x74 totally transformed my car. After you got it and tried it, you'll ask what the f*** I was driving before. I did. I just wish I had done it sooner.

One very noticeable improvement is when you give gas, you feel the rear wheels hook up instantaneously and you could feel the torque a lot better. With the stock suspension, the torque is lost when compressing the stock springs. You feel major improvements on braking, accelearting, cornering, basically all aspects.

I lost 5yrs of pure enjoyment. You won't go wrong with x74. I have no experience with PSS9/10 but I like the fact that x74 is what Porsche intends the car to drive.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate all the responses. So the one perk with the PSS# setups are adjustability but I"ve heard they are softer. Is this a true statement? I thought of X74 and a set of GMG sways. Sways are probably going to come first so I still have time to chose X74 and PSS#. Now there's also KW's and H & R coils any comparisons/opinions on those?

And I only drive this car on the weekends through the back roads. When I go with other groups I always have no confidence in the corners since I feel the float and lack of stability. (Not saying we area being deviants on the roads but in certain areas you do know that the car is too floaty.

I think the RS motormounts will help in this aspect also. When I rev the engine by twisting the cable from the throttle body you can see how the motor twists from the torque...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 AM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the X74.
Was thinking of going with the ROW 030 kit but after hearing that it doesn't lower the car much I decided on the X74. Very nice drop. To me, it transforms the car not only from a handling perspective but also cosmetically. Car just looks so much better lowered.
The roads here in Honolulu absolutely SUCK. We pay some of the highest taxes for both City and State roads and they're still terrible. So the stiffness of the X74 does bother me at times but once I hit smoother roads I forget about it and just enjoy the ride.
One other thing, i found that the factory settings for the X74 cause the car's rear end to be VERY twitchy. I think as some noted previously, you have to dial in a bit more negative camber to compensate. Not sure why it's so twitchy but it was scary to me.
By the way, you might also want to consider the X74 sway bars rather than aftermarket.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X74/X73 kit will only make your car "Twitchy" if the alignment is off especially... TOE in the rear.
For street use you can go with factory settings and get a nice balance.
Here are the spec for the different set ups.
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I thought of X74 and a set of GMG sways. Sways are probably going to come first so I still have time to chose X74 and PSS#.
IIRC the sway bars that come with the X74 kit are the same as the US/ROW M030 kit sway bars. A little stiffer than stock. They are not adjustable.

Quick Reply: X74 suspension information request