Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Battery issue - is there such a product...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Battery issue - is there such a product...

Hello,

I bought my 04 996 40th Anniversary Edition in June of 09. The battery died about a week after ownership. It is CPO, and they replaced it with a new one.

Fast forward to 2 months ago - I had a foot infection and was unable to check on my car for about 2 months. It is inside a storage facility with it's own private locking 10x14 garage. There are NO power outlets for a regular Battery Tender. You can actually see the garages in my avatar.

After finally being able to get to the garage, the car was hard to start - battery sounded dead, but it did start. I drove it around for an hour, and put it away. It still starts, but it sounds like the battery is laboring. I don't know why Porsches are like this - my other beater car did not have this problem - it started right up. I know the alarm system goes into a sleep mode to save power and you need to use the key to open the car and the FOB does not work in this mode.

I asked the management if they have any units with power, and he said no. He recommended some device at Pepboys that maintains your battery with the use of a 2nd battery.

Does anyone know what he is talking about? Is this something that is available?

I don't store the car for the whole Winter - I take it out on days that have no snow to prevent flat spots and keep the battery charged, but appartently I will need some help in keeping the battery up to snuff.

Any suggestions on what I can do besides removing the battery from the car?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The device using another battery to maintain your cars battery would be a regulated square wave at the desired voltage. A capacitor that floats at say 12 volts feeding the square wave generator. That would keep your battery charged.

Might work best to get the biggest battery the car can take.

Ask the guy if you can run 1 or a few solar trickle chargers. The solar plate can attach with velcro or glue. The solar plates are thin, about 4"X5" and two small gauge wires coming off then so the wires can feed through the cracks of a door.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Whatever else you do, there are two things I'd start with: Check for parasitic power loss, just in case something's not right electrically. And second, even though your car is in a locked garage, be sure to lock the car. The sleep mode works quite well to preserve the battery... it actually goes flat faster if you leave the car unlocked.

(I went through this when I first got my car. The dealer had installed 7 batteries under warranty rather than diagnose the issue, which turned out to be a parasitic loss related to the Lojack-type system installed by the first owner. I hate flat rate shops...)

Personally, I wouldn't take the battery out. There was an earlier thread on this, and an article in the last issue of Excellence warning against it. I know people get away with this, but I wouldn't try.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info - solar won't work because of the nature of the construction of the garages. I wish a 110 outlet was available in the units.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:17 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get one of those EZ battery disconnects that mount to the ground lug of the battery--a couple turns of the **** when you put it into storage disconnects the battery. Just retighten when you want to drive. Simple.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2112
Hello,

I bought my 04 996 40th Anniversary Edition in June of 09. The battery died about a week after ownership. It is CPO, and they replaced it with a new one.

Fast forward to 2 months ago - I had a foot infection and was unable to check on my car for about 2 months. It is inside a storage facility with it's own private locking 10x14 garage. There are NO power outlets for a regular Battery Tender. You can actually see the garages in my avatar.

After finally being able to get to the garage, the car was hard to start - battery sounded dead, but it did start. I drove it around for an hour, and put it away. It still starts, but it sounds like the battery is laboring. I don't know why Porsches are like this - my other beater car did not have this problem - it started right up. I know the alarm system goes into a sleep mode to save power and you need to use the key to open the car and the FOB does not work in this mode.

I asked the management if they have any units with power, and he said no. He recommended some device at Pepboys that maintains your battery with the use of a 2nd battery.

Does anyone know what he is talking about? Is this something that is available?

I don't store the car for the whole Winter - I take it out on days that have no snow to prevent flat spots and keep the battery charged, but appartently I will need some help in keeping the battery up to snuff.

Any suggestions on what I can do besides removing the battery from the car?

Thanks,

Steve
"...Beater car did not have this problem.."

Your beater car undoubtedly had the engine starter motor AND the battery in the FRONT, no long + and chassis ground run from the battery to the starter.

Storage....

Over time the battery posts and chassis ground connections will deteriate, oxidize, etc, and might need to be cleaned and burnished, pay special attention to the battery negative to chassis ground connection.

The alternator battery charging connection is generally made at the starter motor solenoid so it would be wise to clean and burnish the connections there also.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

RUBE GOLDBERG.

Spare 12 volt battery connected to a 50-100 watt MSW inverter connected to a 1-2 amp trickle charger.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Lots of Battery Disconnect Switches on ebay for under $10, or just pull the ground cable. If you go that way, make sure to leave hood open slightly or have alternate power to jump the hood release at the fuse panel (driver side footwell).
Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Perhaps the simplest solution is to buy one of those batteries with the "reserve power" whereby you must physically press something to use reserve cells of the battery for your situation. OR if your unit has a light with screw-in bulb you can buy a adapter with built-in elec. outlet plug for a charger.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Just buy another battery and keep it on a charger, rotate it with your existing one.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a different storage place.

http://www.rhodeislandcarstorage.net/

Last edited by C4CRNA; 11-27-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The storage unit has a light bulb right? Never tried it, but would one of these work in conjunction with a smart battery tender.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1406-O...874033&sr=8-10

Quick Reply: Battery issue - is there such a product...