redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Very nice.... Love the natural leather.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Logger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the words. By the way, got a huge bonus surprise last night when picking up the car from being serviced for the first time under my ownership. I discovered that the RMS/IMS upgrades had been done about 2yrs. ago by the original owner (not the guy from whom I bought it, his service records were a bit light, though he didn't own it long). In any case I knew the potential for the problem and had planned to have the upgrades done myself which didn't bother me much, mostly because the deal to buy the car was too good to pass up. Now I don't have to! $2,000 saved and to be applied to more upgrades!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Congrats......enjoy the C4S....best looking 996..........drives great....enjoyed mine for over 60K.....gone but not forgotten.........nice color combo...
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Logger
Intermediate

Topaz,
yeah, rough hands or some manner of activity I don't want to know about. anyway, what did you pay for the shifter? Did it include the boot? I'm looking to replace mine but not happy with the dealer's price ($400) or lead time (8 weeks). I have had trouble finding the exact part on internet searches. Should I bite the bullet or keep looking? Thanks,
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Mod bug seems to have u. Your 4S is PERFECT the way it is. When something breaks, replace it with a bullet proof part.... Mods will come...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
howardm50
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Logger
Topaz,
yeah, rough hands or some manner of activity I don't want to know about. anyway, what did you pay for the shifter? Did it include the boot? I'm looking to replace mine but not happy with the dealer's price ($400) or lead time (8 weeks). I have had trouble finding the exact part on internet searches. Should I bite the bullet or keep looking? Thanks,
Great car! I'm in Denver; purchased my first Pcar this year as well! 2004 C4S So far, the mods/investments I've made are really basic:

- Got a full service (incl plugs/coils) , brake flush, alignment (I got the car at 40K miles, a full service isn't called for until 60K, but I wanted to start fresh)
- Installed a Dension iPod gateway; integrates the iPod into the PCM/Nav stereo really nicely! (bumperplugs.com is the best place to get one; they also have a lot of cool Pcar trim items like painted interior consoles, etc.)
- Replaced the CD holder with a normal cubbie in the front console; also replaced the ashtray with the non smoker cubbie (got these at bumperplugs)
- Found a sweet set of porsche wheels and blizzaks for the winter on Craigslist
- And, wifey bought me a pro driving school class at Porsche Barber motorsports park for Christmas!

As others have said here, the only thing I really think I'd value from a performance perspective after driving for a few months is some tighter suspension. The stock is really good, but I like to drive for fun (and fast) on weekends in the hills (and I'm spoiled from always putting top end suspension on my motorcycles; know the difference that can make!)

Hope to see you around sometime! Enjoy the car... Great ride for our neck of the woods even in winter!

Here's a link to Suncoast, they have a few options for ***** (with or without the boot). http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/996knobs.html

Cheers,
Howard
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Logger
Intermediate

Howard,
your information is much appreciated. I am particularly interested in the ipod gateway, I'll check out the site. Did you find the install to be relatively simple?
I am very interested in suspension mods, though I haven't had a good opportunity yet to really push the car (and my nerve) and understand it's boundaries in stock form. As a former sportbiker (a good lay-down a couple years ago led me to reconsider the activity) I know what you're saying about the differences a dialed-in suspension can make. I am still not there on driving my C4S in the winter, but only because of the gravel, mag chloride, etc., not concerns about its' ability. Have you participated in any pcar events around town? From accounts I've read, they can be fun. Thanks again for the info
Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Logger
Intermediate

Howard,
your information is much appreciated. I am particularly interested in the ipod gateway, I'll check out the site. Did you find the install to be relatively simple?
I am very interested in suspension mods, though I haven't had a good opportunity yet to really push the car (and my nerve) and understand it's boundaries in stock form. As a former sportbiker (a good lay-down a couple years ago led me to reconsider the activity) I know what you're saying about the differences a dialed-in suspension can make. I am still not there on driving my C4S in the winter, but only because of the gravel, mag chloride, etc., not concerns about its' ability. Have you participated in any pcar events around town? From accounts I've read, they can be fun. Thanks again for the info
Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
stavroskon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Logger
Thank you Stavros,
I am having great fun with her so far. Good to hear from you all the way from Greece. My wife is Greek (Kirimanis) so I am taking her sailing through the Greek Isles this coming May. I am very much looking forward to visiting your country. Good luck,
Happy to hear that yours wife is from Greece...... I am sure that your trip will be unforgettable.......
Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations Logger, clean car and beautiful color wait to you start detailing it, that baby will really shine and turn some heads. Enjoy Carrie have fun with her.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!
I received my 03 C4S in November, and drove about 1500 miles before storing it for the Montreal winter.
It is a magnificent car, a true joy to own. It took me 40 years to finally buy a 911!
I dread IMS issues, but it has a new factory engine, 30K on the body. I've only had it to the top of 3rd...about 100mph, and it pulls like rocket sled!
This Porsche experience is cult like, and I purchased the Adrian Streatham text on the 996. This is a fabulous text describing our cars. Very rewarding, and it will serve me well for service.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Default My 03 C4S

I bought my 'wide butt' dream car, an 03 C4S with 30K, from Princeton Porsche in NJ. Saw on the net, and thereafter spoke on the phone. Service records were provided, and I pulled the trigger. IT IS A BEAUTY, and looks NEW!
The service reports indicated an IMS failure 8K ago, and a new factory engine was installed. Serial numbers indicated a late 05 engine.
Hopefully, this engine has the latest RMS seal, and will not implode.
The car has a beautiful Metropole Blue interior, the sport exhaust is a BLAST.
I replaced front discs, machined rears, and new pads x 4.

I hope to try it on a PCA weekend at Mont Tremblant.
I find the Porsche experience cult like, and I spend hours reading about the cars, and their development and quirks. The Streather book, 996, The Essential Companion, is indeed, essential reading.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Default C4S PHOTOS

Some early photos of my dream mobile.
Attached Images     
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Joe,

Very nice! Congrats and Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice Joe.... Welcome!

Quick Reply: new 996 owner