Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are 996 Cab Drivers Like Ferrari Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
Hi Robin, question for you... How well engineered do you think the Ferrari is? You call it the drama queen which makes me think it's temperamental. But Ferrari has the resources to get it right. Or is it a matter of they just don't care what it costs because if you have to worry about it, it's not the right car for you. Or?

I have never owned one, but damn they are good looking cars.
There was a long thread regarding this subject where I made my point.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...periences.html
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, Ferrari went to timing chain on the 430s.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by frankfast
Because of noise regulations and economics, the day of the chain drive is disappearing. I don't think that there is anything wrong with belts as long as they are installed properly and replaced at manufacturers recommended intervals, same as chains. As a matter of fact, I think they are proven to last as long. I have one as a final drive on my bike and and I've replaced them on other bikes that use belts to drive cams. I've also had one replaced on my A4 at 120,000. No problem.
Um, not only has ferrari gone to chains on its new cars, but MB and BMW have traditionally used chains and continue to do so.

Originally Posted by Cefalu
When you're laying down big money on a Porsche or a Ferrari, you would expect that the engine design wasn't too heavily compromised from a design perspective by economics. The rubber belt seems like an OK move for a VW or a Fiat, but when you are paying ten times as much, I don't think so. And the rubber belt is a no brainer choice in a non interefernace design. But in a high revving, high performance interferance design motor it seems like a questionable choice. I am guessing that's why Porsche stuck with the chains. Sure, chains break, but you hear about it way less often than timing belt breaks.
Belts do have benefits. They take less energy to turn and transmit fewer harmonics to the valvetrain.

Quick Reply: Are 996 Cab Drivers Like Ferrari Drivers?