996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My car is down on power!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

strange.... that solenoid is only a coil, not much to break... make sure that the you have good electrical contact.... unplug, clean the contacts and re-plug. Putting in one of those is serious money.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Joshg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche Indy said it's quite a common thing to go wrong.

I had a ride out today and noticed my car has no such kick/pull around 5000 rpm where the variocam is supposed to adjust the cams I believe.

Can someone confirm if their car has some noticeable change in acceleration around the 5k rpm mark?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
speed rII
Pro

Originally Posted by Tbred911
?? could the longer 5th gear have given a distorted reading?
No, I think that the 5th will give the correct number.
Stock 300hp - 15% is 255hp, so I think thats in the ballpark.

I think that the 5th gear is closest to 1 ratio. So this gear should be used when car is dynoed. Even thou the wheelspeed's go up to 240kmh (150mph)

And for the rpm's, my car does wake up after 4500rpm. You can allso hear the engine change in the engine sound.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running a cat? Rich mix? Maybe one side is slightly clogged? I had a 95 993 and it was down on power - but noticeably, at high RPM. One side of the cat was clogged - verified by IR temp gun - fixed with replacement cat. My .02 cts worth without having read the entire diatribe...

Originally Posted by Joshg
Hi this is my first post here so i'll attach a pic of my car too.

My car is a 98 996 c2. The car has 49k miles and has just had a full service in the last 1000 miles.
I took the car to a dyno dynamics machine to see what power it is, the results were very disappointing. It got 225bhp at the wheels 275bhp at the flywheel
So its basically 25bhp down on a standard car.

The engine is standard apart from a k&n CAI and PSE.

Can anyone suggest anything I could check on my car to work out why its running down on power?

[IMG][

Uploaded with ImageShack.us/IMG]
Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 AM
sky213
8th Gear

what is CAI ?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sky213
what is CAI ?
Car Airfreshening Insignia
Cold Aeromatic Inquiry
Carrera Authentic Incubator
Canned Automatic Idiot-Light

Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad you have a 98 996, I'm stuck in the same boat with a 99 and some potential cam related noises, but I'm pretty sure mine are tappet noises from the cam followers. Our 5.2.2 ME DME cannot read the variocam actuation values like the 7.2 or higher can... the only test we can run is for camshaft deviation or cam actuation (either on or off). It's a simple test really if you have a Durametric or PST2, the problem being we don't know if the solenoid is fully actuated or not - that I can tell - using that particular drive test - just that the engine idle changes significantly as the cam timing is advanced. I'll know soon enough though and will probably bench test the solenoids since I've ordered new chains and ramps as well as some other bits and pieces. Hopefully the solenoids are ok and it's just some worn lifters.

Oh hey, did anyone mention cleaning your throttle body? That can have an impact on the cars performance as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

On an MK1 car (1998 through 2001, 3.4 liter motor) if you can switch each solenoid at idle w/Durometric and idle speed significantly drops, the actuators should be working correctly. This is indeed not uncommon on the 3.4 and the solenoids do fail, however on a U.S. spec car the check engine light should illuminate in case of failure as it is considered to have an impact on emissions. If I remember correctly non U.S. cars don't have the "redundant" cam position sensors in each head and will not have a trouble code for fault in at least one of the Variocam actuators, which may very well be the problem w/the car.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Joshg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ahmet
On an MK1 car (1998 through 2001, 3.4 liter motor) if you can switch each solenoid at idle w/Durometric and idle speed significantly drops, the actuators should be working correctly. This is indeed not uncommon on the 3.4 and the solenoids do fail, however on a U.S. spec car the check engine light should illuminate in case of failure as it is considered to have an impact on emissions. If I remember correctly non U.S. cars don't have the "redundant" cam position sensors in each head and will not have a trouble code for fault in at least one of the Variocam actuators, which may very well be the problem w/the car.
Non U.S cars only have a cam position sensor on bank 1. Bank 2 has no sensor so like you say a engine fault lamp wont illuminate when theres a problem with bank2.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Joshg
Intermediate

**Another update**

I had the solenoid in bank 2 variocam replaced in hope that this would cure my low power slight lumpy idle issue...

Unfortunately this has made no difference when using the pst2 bank 2 varicam will still not activate. The mechanic thinks that the ECU/DME must be at fault.

From my understanding from what the Porsche indy told me, the solenoids in each variocam are switched on and off by the dme by earthing the circuits out. So pin 54 at the dme is a live feed for the solenoids and pins 25 and 52 are the earth connections for bank 1 and bank 2 solenoids. So im thinking maybe bank 2 has a bad earth connection at the dme.

Would it be ok to swap the earth pins around at the dme so bank 1 earth becomes bank 2 earth to see if bank 2 solenoid now works?

Also would I be ok to wire the two variocam earth wires to pin 25 bank 1 earth? if i find bank 2 earth pin to be faulty or would this fry my ecu?

Quick Reply: My car is down on power!