Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pterfloth
Is investing in gloves worthwhile?
Yes, but I'd advise you wait and buy some after you've been to a few events. You really won't need them for a while. The good ones aren't cheap, the the cheap ones aren't good.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pterfloth
Is investing in gloves worthwhile?
Here are some things I wish somebody had told me the first time:

If you're like me and your hands get sweaty, buy a pair of golf gloves. They're thin, grippy and inexpensive.

Bring a roll of wide painters tape. Useful for many things and comes off easy. Can be used to protect headlight and the front end, stick on numbers etc..

For car numbers, go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy the biggest vinyl house numbers you can find and stick them on the inside of your rear side windows or your doors with the aforementioned painters tape. Much easier to read than tape numbers.

Bring a 12 V air pump and a tire pressure gauge. On the track your tires will get hot and you may have to adjust your pressures. I like my hot pressures at 36 psi front, 38 psi rear. Don't forget to re-inflate your tires for the drive home.

After each run session let the car cool: park it in gear. Do NOT engage the handbrake. Keeping the pads off the hot rotors will minimize the chances of boiling the brake fluid. When you go to restart the car later, do not be surprised by a big puff of white smoke out the exhaust. It's just a little burning oil, it happens to all of our cars, it's not a big deal. If it bothers you, just let the engine idle for 5 mins after it's parked before shutting it down.

Quick Reply: What Car Prep for First DE?