Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Car Prep for First DE?

What car prep do you recommend for my first ever DE? 2000 C2 Cab

I have changed/flushed the brake fluid.
Cleaned the radiators.
Tires are new.
Clutch is new.
LNIMS is in.
Brake pads and maybe the rear rotors are worn. Will check rotor thickness this coming week. What pads? The car is my weekend toy.

Want to get my parts ordered and installation time planned in readiness for May 13!

Your input and experience is appreciated. I am really looking forward to the DE. I have no illusions of a racing career but am looking to having as much fun as possible.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 AM
inviktus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of tires? If they're brand new, I'd want to scuff 'em in a bit. Full tread tires can chunk at the track UNLESS they're hot stuff like Dunlop Star Specs or the like. Those will not chunk, no matter how hard you try. AMHIK

Sounds like you're already on top of the brakes. Give the suspension a good going over to make sure nothing's loose, etc. Also look over coolant hoses; blowing coolant onto the track surface will give the guys behind you a nice surprise (code brown in turn four!).

Anyway, that's general stuff that applies to all cars. I don't know as much about specifically which brake pads the 996 likes, but my personal opinion is that you needn't overthink it. It's your first DE, and unless you're blessed with tremendous natural talent, you're gonna be slow. You won't come within 1000 miles of the limits of the car, so just follow this piece of age-old wisdom and you'll be fine: if you try to be fast, you will absolutely be slow. If you try to be smooth, you will, over time, become fast.

One other piece of advice: the first time at the track can be intimidating. My first time out, I didn't have so much as a tire pressure gauge, and I was too afraid to ask someone to borrow one. Don't do what I did. The vast, vast majority of track rats will go miles out of their way to help you if needed. Hopefully you will not need any help, but if you do, realize that you're surrounded by friends. It sounds cheesy but it's true, and I'm saying that from direct personal experience.

Anyway, have fun and keep the shiny side up!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do some work on proper tire pressures. there's your main deal for "wheeling and dealing" with the track surface.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like you pretty much have it covered. You will most likely need to get your car tech inspected (if it is a PCA event, then for sure...check the local website for approved shops) and this will address just about everthing. Once the car passes, you will be all set. At this stage, for you, (1st time) stock brake pads will work fine. +1 for a tire gauge, learn about tire temps and tire grip this will help a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is very helpful....relax, listen to your instructor and have fun! Let us know how you enjoyed it, then we will all gladly help guide you down the path of how to spend money......
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Car= tech inspection and gas
You=helmet and proper attire.

That's really all you need for your first DE. After that, the slippery slope begins! [you will be able to borrow anything you need at the track - which is probably just a tire guage and a torque wrench]

Have fun!

-td
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Take an extra quart of oil. You may need it. My car goes thru a quart at each event. This could trigger a low oil pressure light and spook you while at speed. Otherwise looks like you are ready for your first event. Be safe out there....
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pterfloth
Brake pads and maybe the rear rotors are worn. Will check rotor thickness this coming week. What pads? The car is my weekend toy.

Want to get my parts ordered and installation time planned in readiness for May 13!

Your input and experience is appreciated. I am really looking forward to the DE. I have no illusions of a racing career but am looking to having as much fun as possible.
Just go with stock pads. Porsche's stock pads are very good. Assuming you keep at it, you are probably a year or more away from needing to upgrade your brake pads, and when you do you will need to upgrade tires too.

I said exactly the same thing about racing when I started tracking my 997. I now no longer own the 997, and the only Porsche I own is a full-on race car. It's a slippery slope. Have fun!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

If you can, a Good night sleep, you will be tired the first day.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Also take out anything in your glove box, frunk, inside the car, spare tire, etc. etc., but you probably already knew that.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
If you can, a Good night sleep, you will be tired the first day.
And try to stay away from the booze at night........I said try. Drink a ton of water during the day. Helps with the concentration.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Default Blue Painter's Masking Tape - stone chip prevention

Some good advice has been offered.........

You also may want to use some tape on the edges of the front end that attract stone chip damage to avoid any paint chips, etc. from track materials thrown your way from cars in front of you....if you have a bra, that would be good.......

Extra quart of oil is a good one and make sure you fill up your gas before hitting the track......you'll get about half the mileage you usually do if you are pushing the car right....

Have fun.....you will be amazed what you and your car can do....
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

things that made me feel like a complete noob and wish I had brought to the track:

A rubbermaid container with:
Flashlight (to check brake pads, or if in the pits early morning)
Windex and paper towels (everyone was cleaning their windows/windshield)
Oil
Towels
Driving gloves
Tire pressure gauge
Portable air compressor (even one that hooks into the dc power)
Torque wrench to check the lug nuts
Blue tape to tape a number on your car
Water
Gatorade
Banana
Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

+1000 on all of the above.
It is your first event, relax. LISTEN, ask questions of your instructor about anything. If he does not know the answer he will help you find it.
Drink gallons of water. You will be surprised at how much of a workout you are getting.
A decent set of NOT yellow or red rain gear might be a good idea.
Also if it is not multiday event bring at least one change of clothes in case your primary set gets. wet, too dirty, etc...

MAKE FRIENDS
Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice. Thanks everyone! (No booze will not be a problem since I had to give that up years ago.)

Is investing in gloves worthwhile?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your first DE!

Here is my check list. You do not need to bring all these items for your first one but as time goes this may be useful.

Stuff to bring and things to check at the beginning of the day in the spreadsheet

Above all, have fun and be safe.

FM
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Tracklist.pdf (5.8 KB, 112 views)

Quick Reply: What Car Prep for First DE?