Sponsored by:

IMS new detection speculation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Wow, I just read this entire thread. I really hope the people who have pre-orders have way more info than what's been posted. (Yes, I know they won't be charged until shipping) I find it amazing that a company shows off a light/buzzer that can prevent bearing failure, but gives absolutely no details on how it works. Instead of people being skeptical, they get in line super eager and with a "fuzzy feeling" to hand over nearly $400. I'm not saying the product doesn't work, or it's not a worthwhile investment. However, there is absolutely no way I would buy one without knowing more, regardless of the companies reputation.
DK,
You might want to re-scan the thread.. I see lots of skepticism expressed. You shouldn't be surprised that 996 owners are willing to spend $340--sight unseen--for a device that ostensibly can save them from a $20,000 engine failure. Keep in mind that 996 owners pay $300 for an oil change or dinner at Ruth's Chris... $340 could be cheap insurance.

I hope FLAT6 will develop one more 996-specific tool... An IMS center nut size measuring device that doesn't require pulling the transmission! I'd pay in advance
Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 PM
palace1913
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I preordered based on the reputation of the people in this forum. $400 is just less $$ for the strippers. $25k loss for them would be serious...however, none of them seem concerned. I know where to get good advice
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What was that famous quote by Barnum Bailey?
Oh, yea...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The IMS Guardian newsletter has been sent to all pre-purchasers of the system.
Didn't receive anything so far (aside the survey early July): is the newsletter in electronic format or post-mail?
Order # 106

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
What was that famous quote by Barnum Bailey? Oh, yea...
At least he never said "There's a sucker born every minute" (http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM
drbooba1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche should step in here, if these cars require this kind of aftermarket device to tell you that you are screwed the factory should be willing to stand up for extended warranty.

regards
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the email newsletter.... maybe in your spam bucket?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The newsletter is electronic.. We did have 5 bounces of the newsletter; perhaps yours was one of those? Email us and we'll re-send to you.

It may well be in your spam box.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 PM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the confirmation
No, nothing in the spam box, I just send a request to the same e-mail than the survey.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooba1
Porsche should step in here, if these cars require this kind of aftermarket device to tell you that you are screwed the factory should be willing to stand up for extended warranty.

regards

Good luck with that happening anytime soon.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooba1

regards
Looks like we got us a comedian !
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
jotoole
Track Day

Just tuned in here after visiting J. Raby's web site. What's up with the IMS GUARDIAN? Program cancelled? I was looking for update on estimated delivery date but the product seems to have disappeared from his site. What's up with this?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jotoole
Just tuned in here after visiting J. Raby's web site. What's up with the IMS GUARDIAN? Program cancelled? I was looking for update on estimated delivery date but the product seems to have disappeared from his site. What's up with this?
It sounds like he's working out the legals and details with the suppliers so he's stopped accepting orders.

Once this hits the magazine my guess is it will explode and he better have some units ready to ship.

"We have halted further sales of the IMS Guardian units for the interim and will more than likely not be accepting any more orders until the Excellence article is published in the November issue." -Jake (a few posts back)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
jotoole
Track Day

Thanks, logray.

I have pre-order #186.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The newsletter that was sent to all the pre-purchasers explains the current status of the orders in detail.

The response to the pre-orders was overwhelming. I don't think that people here realize that other than this thread we have not mentioned this development ANYWHERE ELSE! It was not even mentioned on the Flat 6 website except under the pre-order offering when has already expired.

Literally had this thread not popped up there would have been zero mention of this product until it was featured in the Excellence article and was available for sale. We did all the development behind closed doors.

The best news is that the technology is patentable and we are moving forward with the full patent to further protect the technology.

At the present we have two objectives with this development:
1- Fill the IMS Guardian pre-orders.
2- Make as many units as possible in preparation for the debut that will occur in mid October. (I am sure we will sell out of what we can have made and on hand the first day anyway!)

Everything is working smoothly now. The best news is that the units will be made in the USA (at least for the first major production run)

We have worked very hard on this, it has taken all of my time for the past 6 months and I haven't even been able to host an engine rebuild school since February! I often find myself staying at the shop two-three nights a week all night, working till 0400 and then back up and going before our organizational meeting at 0815 and then working that whole day, going home and working on it there until I crash. We have done this right and you will appreciate what we have created, it is much more than just a product.

No more sales till the full debut and all the discounts are over!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any exciting updates Jake?

Quick Reply: IMS new detection speculation