Sponsored by:

OBDII Reader

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM
inviktus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjfehr
A very good reason: you can get a bluetooth OBDII reader for $20 online ($25 shipped), which coupled with free software will turn your smartphone into something straight out of Fast and the Furious. As in real-time monitoring of O2 sensors, rpm, speed, throttle position, fuel/air mixture, mass air flow rate, etc. And can datalog it. And it reads/clears codes, too.
Where would I find this? The only ones I know of (Kiwi Wifi, etc.) are $150+.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

CarMD. You can save THOUSANDS of dollars in repairs with the CarMD.

http://www.carmd.com/

(I'm kidding. I watched an infomercial about it at lunch and almost fell out of my chair laughing. I'm thankful that another OBD thread was started so I can share the mirth.)

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Can you point us to this device and the associated software?
I have this OBDII reader:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-b...e-dc-12v-42825

Without realizing the ramifications, I bought mine from dealextreme... which is in hong kong... a week before chinese new year. Took a month to arrive, doh! There are other vendors online for similar prices.

I'm using Torque on my android phone, which is custom configurable with multiple screens and all sorts of dials, readouts and graphs and datalogging options.
http://torque-bhp.com/software/torqu...obd2-adapters/

I can attest this combo is fully compatible with my 986S; virtually every OBDII mode reports.

Other software:
PalmOS, PocketPC & Laptop: http://www.qcontinuum.org/obdgauge/
Apple apparently restricts the bluetooth port on iphones, so you'd have to get a wifi version if you have an iphone, bluetooth ones won't work.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

OK.... so who has a handheld OBD2 scanner that resets airbags and cels?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
OK.... so who has a handheld OBD2 scanner that resets airbags and cels?
I dont think there is one, It's Durametric or PIWIS
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I dont think there is one, It's Durametric or PIWIS
thats what I thought.... Durametric would make a killing if they made a handheld unit that can be upgraded for new models... carrying a laptop at the track sucks.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation

thats what I thought.... Durametric would make a killing if they made a handheld unit that can be upgraded for new models... carrying a laptop at the track sucks.
Or link it to an iPhone, droid..etc.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Am I missing something here or are the guys at O'reilly's not that smart? Check engine light came on. Steady orange, everything working fine. They told me that their INNOVA scanner doesn't work on "pink/purple" OBDII plugs. The $89 scanner only or the $139 scan/remove codes wouldn't work. A mechanic that was there said Porsche/BMW/Audi/ etc were different. I didn't drive the 996, so they didn't check it with their big scanner. I'm just looking for a code scanner that reads & removes them. I've read several threads from guys purchasing scanners at Harber Freight and O'reilly's. Sorry to highjack thread, just didn't want to start a new bandwith sucking new one...

Pink is 996 & black is my DD:
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

^^^ this is the one I'm looking at buying. Reads/removes codes.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...21s%21scanners
Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

...bump.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

OBDII is OBDII, it's a standard and always compatible. There's extra fancy stuff you can access with a durametric, but any OBDII reader should be able to check and clear your codes. I hit up the auto parts stores for free code checks/clears all the time (advance, autozone, etc.)

Before you drop $140 on that... If you've got something you can interface it to, I highly recommend the $20 bluetooth reader one I posted a little up the page.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

^^^ disagree. Any obd2 reader will not clear all error codes (airbags)... some will work on carreras while the same one wont work on turbo. Some codes are unique to Porsche and alot of universal readers will connect and view errors but can not clear all codes.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:54 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

^^^ disagree. Any obd2 reader will not clear all error codes (airbags)... some will work on carreras while the same one wont work on turbo. Some codes are unique to Porsche and alot of universal readers will connect and view errors but can not clear all codes.
Air Bag and ABS are different, as they're part of different controllers, and not a standard OBDII PID. It's going to be hit or miss with any EOBD2 stuff. I can add custom PIDs to mine via software, but messing with the wrong PID can really mess the car up, so I haven't tried.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

AFIAK the color of the connector has no bearing on what protocol the car supports.

Now it could be the parts store id'd one of the cars having a protocol that particular scanner did not support. Some support all but PWM, and CAN. Some support CAN but not PWM. Some support all OBD2 protocols.

I have an older Actron that works just fine in my 02 Boxster, my 03 Turbo, and in my 08 Cayman S. It does not work in any CAN vehicle though the newer Acton units do support CAN.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Thank you gentlemen. I just couldn't get a definite answer from anyone I called but knew I'd get the answer here eventually. Going to purchase this one today. I don't really need anything too fancy, I'm just looking for a mid-grade model to check/clear codes. I'll give my analysis later...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...rtId=prod62401

Quick Reply: OBDII Reader