996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OBDII Reader

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As Macster stated above, the Actron should be fine for the purposes you describe. I have the CP9180 that I purchased for less than $100 on sale from advance. I have used it on several cars including my 996 and the GT3. It has several functions that are quite useful if you drill down far enough, including MAF, coolant temp, fuel trim, sensor voltages, etc. I do like the portability of the Actron. The DME manual from Porsche is a must if you are chasing something complex.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actron vs. Durametric? Different beasts entirely?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter 642
Actron vs. Durametric? Different beasts entirely?
Definitely.

Actron is just a good but bog standard OBD2 code reader data viewer. The fancier models have some good data logging and serial/USB interfaces to move the data from the device to your PC (working from memory so before you buy check the features).

The Durametric is probably more money (though maybe not by much than a top of the line Actron unit) and is specifically for Porsches and allows you into areas of the car's electronics the Actron can't.

The Durametric is limited to just one or several cars, and more cars cost more money. The Actron you can move it from any OBD2 compliant car to any other with no problems.

I've had an Actron unit now since shortly after I bought my '96 Mustang GT in '96 and it has served me quite well through a half dozen cars most recently the 02 Boxster, a VW Golf TDI, a GTO (but I did buy a Predator for this car just to give me deeper access to the car's electronics: I turned off that damned skip shift feature), a Cayman S and the Turbo.

Kind of funny but all of these cars (save the GTO) have been ISO/KWP, even the 08 Cayman S. It had a CAN bus but that was to talk to the radio, heater, etc. It was referred to by the Porsche docs as the comfort bus. Oh, the GTO was CAN.

Anyhow, I've used the Actron on uncounted other cars of family, friends and co-workers. The cable developed a crack and I had a tech here at the office replace it. Done and as good as new.

However, you really need to read the specs on both devices and other similar devices as well and decide what features you really need.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

+1 for the Actron. It works fine on my 996 and my two Jeeps, plus half a dozen co-workers and neighbors' car/trucks.

That being said, i want the aforementioned Fast & Furious app for my iPhone
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 PM
fast996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 who is currently using an Iphone app ( hard wired and\or bluetooth connect )
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That $130 Actron Reader worked just fine.

I got codes, P0300 (Random- Multiple Misfire Detected) & P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected) *both from Mod 11*

From the research I found on here, it sounds like my fuel/air mixture may have been off due to pulling it outta the garage to wash/wax her that day, or bad coil pack. I cleared it and gonna see if it comes back. I've pulled it in and out quickly before with no code though. She ran fine that day, but hadn't ran her since clearing code.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Durametric sets theirs to only work with 3 different porsches then locks out any further trys of reading any other serial numbered cars. Others you can do the whole town. I think I read Durametric will reset your devise if you change cars or something like that. Not all too sure but they can reset the thing. Hackers busy screwing everybody and not telling us how to reset our durametrics. Miserable times for sure.

I like the durametrics save the scans tp excel file format and such. Had a CEL yesterday and suspected it was the same as last years CEL and it was. Took the cable and laptop for a crusie and read things after a warm up and saved a couple of files on tests and reset the fault code of the charcoal filter shutoff tripping.

First time I got the CEL was rainy early morning fly to work. Yesterday was after lots of rain earlier with drizzle going on. Lacking taking a chance on a ticket I was doing heavy downshifting. I'm not sure if the first time I had nearly a newly topped off tank but this last time was within a day of topping off. It's best to not double tap the gas tank filling or stuff like that charcoal filter CEL with happen. I guess I'm sloshing gas up to the tube some times. Kind of annoying CEL to get.

I wish the durametric could read the temps and other results and estimate the octane. I know the ethanol 92 octane can't realy be that octane over here. Can't expect a lab packed into a simple cable now though can we

Quick Reply: OBDII Reader