996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My AOS adventure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mo-sport AOS doesn't work on 996 (at least early MY M96-01 engines), not sure why Suncoast lists it as fitting a Carrera... at least I've never heard of someone being able to make it fit without a lot of hacking.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by dsowen
Have any of you who track your cars considered replacing the AOS with the motorsports version? (Here at Suncoast for $730: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=996Oil

I had my car in recently for clutch, DMF, IMSR and found the AOS to be leaking a bit. My indy recommended waiting for it to fail and then upgrading to the motorsports version. I do DEs and am on the slippery slope...., but I'm not sure this is a worthwhile upgrade, especially given its expense. What do you all think?

In any case this will be a DIY, so thanks Alex for the procedural notes.

David
It is my opinion that if the AOS is leaking it is close enough to failing to qualify bring replaced without waiting for the symptoms to get worse or more numerous.

It is bad enough when an AOS fails while one is just tooling around the neighbor, but on the road, and especially on the track... oh boy.

I'd not wait but the AOS replaced now.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Logray: It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't fit. Thanks for the info.

Macster: Yeah, my gut told me to have it done while we were in there...but I didn't. Now I'll have to tackle it myself. At least I'll learn my way around the engine a bit better!

David
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if the procedure and parts is the same for an 997.1 (2007) C4S?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The bellows come attached with clip to the bottom of the AOS. I SAW ON YOUTUBE IT IS BEST TO SECURE THE aos BRACKET TO THE ENGINE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO PUSH THE BELLOWS ONTO THE BOTTOM PIPE. tHE TOP AND BOTTOM SNAP CLIPS ARE DIFFERANT SIZES I BELIEVE. sorry for caps. I had to order the bellows as mine was leaking after a (so called indi) replaced my AOS when doing a job on my gearbox. The bellows are dirt cheap but they advise a quick release clip with a blue plastic pull off release tab be bought at the same time. That's dirt cheap as well. Pelican have the quick release clips with blue plastic tab. You can check your bellows from under the car. Then pull the tab off and Bingo. That should be the last part of the installment. Pelican has a DIY where early and later 996 yrs are explained. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm
Old 03-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
The bellows come attached with clip to the bottom of the AOS. I SAW ON YOUTUBE IT IS BEST TO SECURE THE aos BRACKET TO THE ENGINE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO PUSH THE BELLOWS ONTO THE BOTTOM PIPE. tHE TOP AND BOTTOM SNAP CLIPS ARE DIFFERANT SIZES I BELIEVE. sorry for caps. I had to order the bellows as mine was leaking after a (so called indi) replaced my AOS when doing a job on my gearbox. The bellows are dirt cheap but they advise a quick release clip with a blue plastic pull off release tab be bought at the same time. That's dirt cheap as well. Pelican have the quick release clips with blue plastic tab. You can check your bellows from under the car. Then pull the tab off and Bingo. That should be the last part of the installment. Pelican has a DIY where early and later 996 yrs are explained. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm
Sorry for bringing up a 6 year old thread but I found it real helpful.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my AOS last weekend. It was a bigger job than anticipated. I did not drop the engine or take out the coolant tank.

QUOTE=Hurdigurdiman;14018379]Sorry for bringing up a 6 year old thread but I found it real helpful.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: My AOS adventure...