Sponsored by:

CEL & fault code...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL & fault code...

The check engine light came on a few days ago. Today I hooked up the Durametric scan tool and this is what came up:

P0446 - Factory fault code 95
Evap Cannister shut-off valve function (below limit)

I cleared the code, and it has not re-appeared after starting the engine and running it a bit. However, I have not driven the car any distance yet.

Here's the question: Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

...Rickker
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
fast996
Instructor

is your gas cap on tight? also have you filled up the gas tank recently, like topped it off?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by fast996
is your gas cap on tight? also have you filled up the gas tank recently, like topped it off?
Yes, I filled the tank earlier the same day, then drove about half a tank, and the light came on just as I got home. I'm pretty sure I turned the gas cap for about 3 or 4 clicks after refueling.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I had this code before, with durametric on..... I checked the gas cap, and it wasnt even on.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
fast996
Instructor

yeah if it didnt come back, topping it off probably filled a vent line causing the code
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
fast996
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
I had this code before, with durametric on..... I checked the gas cap, and it wasnt even on.
well that was easy
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might need a new cap... there are many newer revisions than what comes on a stock 1999 car.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to derail the conversation here but if you were to clear up this code by disconnecting the battery, will the history of the code still be stored and therefore read by the Durametric? Or is it gone forever?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Sorry to derail the conversation here but if you were to clear up this code by disconnecting the battery, will the history of the code still be stored and therefore read by the Durametric? Or is it gone forever?
The code is erased when 12V battery power is removed from the engine controller such as would be the case when the battery was disconnected.

Do *not* ever disconnect the battery with the engine running, the key on, or the key even in the ignition!

Anyhow, the code can not be retrieved once battery power is removed and reapplied (or the code is erased by the use of a code reader/eraser tool).

However, there can be a record of sorts that something was 'cleared'... The engine controller can keep track of how many miles (km actually, though limited to 65535km) the car was driven since the check engine light was cleared (and this may be reset when battery power is removed too). There is another km counter than is used to count the number of km the car has driven since the check engine light came on.

A sophisticated code reader (Durametric should qualify) can read these values if the engine controller supports them. (The are Mode 1 Pids 0x21 and Pid 0x31 IIRC.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Rickker
Racer

FWIW, I drove around for an hour or so today, and the CEL has not come on again. So hopefully, this will be the end of it.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The code is erased when 12V battery power is removed from the engine controller such as would be the case when the battery was disconnected.

Do *not* ever disconnect the battery with the engine running, the key on, or the key even in the ignition!

Anyhow, the code can not be retrieved once battery power is removed and reapplied (or the code is erased by the use of a code reader/eraser tool).

However, there can be a record of sorts that something was 'cleared'... The engine controller can keep track of how many miles (km actually, though limited to 65535km) the car was driven since the check engine light was cleared (and this may be reset when battery power is removed too). There is another km counter than is used to count the number of km the car has driven since the check engine light came on.

A sophisticated code reader (Durametric should qualify) can read these values if the engine controller supports them. (The are Mode 1 Pids 0x21 and Pid 0x31 IIRC.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I've never disconnected the battery when the car is on or the key is in the ignition. But the reason I asked was because I while back I got a MAF code so I cleaned it out and to get rid of the CEL I disconnected the battery.

It never came back but I was wondering if when the time comes that I hook it up to the Durametric, would I still be able to see the history of the codes?

I guess not so at least I know now.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: CEL & fault code...