Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do I need to flush all of the old coolant and add the new one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
ballpaulmo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to flush all of the old coolant and add the new one?

Hi,
Anyone one can tell? My 996 just broken the coolant hose near the bottom of the engine. Now I need to order the new coolant hose. The question is do I need to flush all the old coolant and refill the new coolant? or just add the new coolant mix with the old one? And how to refill that? From reservoir? And what type of coolant can I get?

Thanks for helping.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Just fill in the replacement coolant through the reservoir. Use coolant from the dealer to ensure there is no problem with mixing types. You should open the bleed valve to get any residual air out of the system.

-Shawn
Old 06-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ballpaulmo
Hi,
Anyone one can tell? My 996 just broken the coolant hose near the bottom of the engine. Now I need to order the new coolant hose. The question is do I need to flush all the old coolant and refill the new coolant? or just add the new coolant mix with the old one? And how to refill that? From reservoir? And what type of coolant can I get?

Thanks for helping.
What Shawn said.

But I'd add that if the coolant has more than say 4 years on it you might consider draining all the coolant -- I believe there is a drain plug at the bottom of the engine but be sure *before* you remove any plug you know which plug it is -- to remove all coolant from the radiators, lines and engine coolant passages, then refillng the cooling system with a proper mix of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water.

I'd recommend you get a MityVac coolant replacement setup that you can use to ensure air pocket free refill of the car's cooling system.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Highly recommend the uview airlift 550000000000 as well...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Most of your coolant will drain out anyway, Just drain everything and fill it back up..
Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't care what Porsche says there is no such thing a lifetime coolant. Coolant should be drained and flushed and replaced every 3-4 years, so now is the time. Don't believe me take a look on the 928 forum sometime about the disastrous problems owners find with old aluminum blocks that have not had the coolant regularly changed. With all the 996 owners running their coolant "forever" we will be seeing such problem in a few years.

Last edited by Dharn55; 06-02-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM
ballpaulmo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for you guys helping. I did read some article. Some people said that the "old" yellow-green factory fill and the "new" pink coolant are incompatible and may form a gel if you mix them. Not something that is good for a water-cooled Porsche. Is that true? I ask the dealer, they only sell the new pink coolant , no more "old" yellow-green factory one. Anyone know what type of coolant for 00' 996?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xWP_...eature=related
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I use g12
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

The Porsche yellow and the Porsche pink are compatible. So is VW G12. So are some other ones.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...tifrezecoolant

Personally I drained and flushed all of mine and replaced with Peak Global. Much more affordable at $10 per gallon, especially since I plan to do it every couple years.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by logray
The Porsche yellow and the Porsche pink are compatible. So is VW G12. So are some other ones.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...tifrezecoolant

Personally I drained and flushed all of mine and replaced with Peak Global. Much more affordable at $10 per gallon, especially since I plan to do it every couple years.
Question for the forum: Is the above solution a good one?

I also have a leak and need to replace the hose (thanks to those who are helping me) so replacing the fluid will need to happen when the hose is removed and most of the coolant drains out.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
What Shawn said.

But I'd add that if the coolant has more than say 4 years on it you might consider draining all the coolant -- I believe there is a drain plug at the bottom of the engine but be sure *before* you remove any plug you know which plug it is -- to remove all coolant from the radiators, lines and engine coolant passages, then refillng the cooling system with a proper mix of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water.

I'd recommend you get a MityVac coolant replacement setup that you can use to ensure air pocket free refill of the car's cooling system.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Couple of questions now that I'm ready to replace the hose and drain the coolant system. Which model of the MityVac do you recommend for purchasing? There are several price points and options from 98.00 to 400.00 dollars U.S. Also, is the Airlift 550000 an equal alternative?

Charles
Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Airlift 550000 is great.

Universal tool for any car. But it fits perfectly into the 996 as well.

Can't say enough good things about this tool. It really is that good for the money.

You need a compressor at least 5 gal in size or larger.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kazual99
Question for the forum: Is the above solution a good one?
Some say only use Porsche in case some other owner or shop or dealer comes along down the line and only knows to put in Porsche coolant and thus introducing the possibility of gel in your coolant. Or not flushing all the OEM stuff out and putting something incompatible in and creating the possibility of a bad mess or worse.

There are others who have found which silicate/phosphate free formulas are compatible (and even those that are not), and refuse to pay the $40 a gallon every few years to replace their coolant.

And yet even others who really do trust Porsche's lifetime claim and haven't touched it in 12 years.

Guess who makes "Porsche" coolant?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Can you give a brief rundown on the process? Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Some good reads for you on the subject.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...efill-on-a-997

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...cuum-fill-tool

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...radiator-flush

http://pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Flush...nt_System.html

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...foryourboxster

Quick Reply: Do I need to flush all of the old coolant and add the new one?