Sponsored by:

Dealer Service Records

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Service Records

Can any dealer pull up a car's service records if it was serviced at another Porsche dealer in order to determine its service history? Just curious.

-Eric
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Can any dealer pull up a car's service records if it was serviced at another Porsche dealer in order to determine its service history? Just curious.

-Eric
The dealers I have worked with can't or won't. I bought the CarFax and used that to locate the dealers in the areas where the car in question was registered or smogged over the years.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

No they can't. All they have access to is whether a TSB was performed on the vehicle. Even if you go to the dealer where the service was performed, they may not release the records without the previous owner's consent.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

After I bought my car, I called the dealer where the PO had purchased the car and had most of the service work done. The dealer faxed me a (brief) printout of the service history. Depends on the dealer and who answers the phone I suppose. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
After I bought my car, I called the dealer where the PO had purchased the car and had most of the service work done. The dealer faxed me a (brief) printout of the service history. Depends on the dealer and who answers the phone I suppose. Can't hurt to ask.
+1 The any Porsche dealer has access to a p-cars service history if they have the vin.

I got a printout from the original selling/servicing dealer from my car but then I took it to my local dealer for them to check it out.

The tech could tell from the database that my car's alternator had been replaced.

Most dealers will not give this list to prospective buyers or current owners unless the owner is the original owner.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was surprised at the maintenance records on my car's carfax. Everything done by the PO's dealer in detail.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We can not pull all of the services. Warranty and recalls but not all services ever done.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is yes they can. They cannot pull actual service paperwork but they can do the history. I usually call my local Dealer and give the VIN#. They can pull what was done previously, etc.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by francars
My experience is yes they can. They cannot pull actual service paperwork but they can do the history. I usually call my local Dealer and give the VIN#. They can pull what was done previously, etc.
I'm sitting at a computer at a desk in a Porsche Dealership with a personal log in to the PCNA system. We can not pull full service records with the VIN#. We can not pull full service history.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte

-Eric
My info is Porsche dealership service records are not on a common computer/network system.

But what I have found works for me is to learn where teh car spent some time: A CarFax report can help.

In the various areas of various CarFax entries call dealers in that area and with the VIN ask if the dealer can at least tell you over the phone what services the car had and when.

Avoid trying to learn anything about the previous owners. Some dealers clam up tight due to privacy concerns.

You want to know the car's servicing history as best you can, not how the previous owners voted in the last election.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at a car in massachusetts (dodge dealer) they called and got the service records from the Fla dealership where it was maintained looked like the face sheet/receipt you get when you service the car.Very complete showed the car got a new engine @ 190000 miles. Pays to be persistent with this part of discovery.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
I looked at a car in massachusetts (dodge dealer) they called and got the service records from the Fla dealership where it was maintained looked like the face sheet/receipt you get when you service the car.Very complete showed the car got a new engine @ 190000 miles. Pays to be persistent with this part of discovery.
Now that we can do.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only warranty-related work are kept in porsche national database, and can be accessed from any p-car dealer.

other than that, carfax/autocheck has more complete history since they buy those info. from dealerships.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:27 PM
orangem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience in Canada is the same. Dealers can pull other dealers' warranty work but not maintenance items. I guess it goes into a centralized place when money with Porsche NA is exchanged.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to go where the car was serviced. But even then they do not like to give out the information due to privacy concerns.

I ran a carfax and then contacted the dealers and bitched until they told me what was done.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Records