Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I guess I'll be putting the winter tires on a little early...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 795 Posts

Winter tires mounted and ready to go. Bring on the snow!
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went swimming today Water 68F Air 80.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
howardm50
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapping mine this weekend... can't wait for that nice, plush, Cadillac ride Oh well, only about 5 months until we swap back.

What pressures do you run in the winter? Last year was my first season and I wasn't 100% satisfied with the traction. I think partly that was my getting used to the rear-favored drive and the engine weight in the back; although, I was thinking about fiddling with the tire pressure as well, just never got to it. You run with the PSM on/off?

Howard

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I was hoping to make it until the end of the month, but we got about 4-inches of snow last night and it's still coming down hard today. I guess I'll be putting on the winter tires today or tomorrow!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll probably put mine on the M3 the night before the first snow, then take them off again 2 weeks later when winter is done.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I went out for a hike this afternoon, and I'm definitely glad I had my winter tires on. I drove over several parts of the road that were covered with snow or slush. The trail that I hiked was totally snow covered! I snapped this quick photo hiking back down to the car.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by howardm50
Swapping mine this weekend... can't wait for that nice, plush, Cadillac ride Oh well, only about 5 months until we swap back.

What pressures do you run in the winter? Last year was my first season and I wasn't 100% satisfied with the traction. I think partly that was my getting used to the rear-favored drive and the engine weight in the back; although, I was thinking about fiddling with the tire pressure as well, just never got to it. You run with the PSM on/off?

Howard
I run mine at the recommended 36/44 and it seems to be fine. I keep PSM turned on most of the time, unless I'm in a place where I can have a little fun sliding the rear end around! I don't really have any issues with unusual treadwear. This is my third season on this set of Blizzaks and they still look quite good. I'll probably replace them when this season ends, because they seem to lose the Blizzak magic pretty quickly as they wear.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:47 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It snowed here last week, and today it's fall again high '60s. I hiked in the mountains Sunday and yesterday and there were patches of snow and lots of broken tree branches some quite large blocking trails. Driving the Turbo's almost as much fun as walking, lol!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put mine on over the weekend, figured I would get it done before the shop got busy and I was doing every one else's.

According to Weather Canada, I am prob a couple weeks early, but winter compounds these days don't wear nearly as bad in warm temps as old models. That and the fact I go at least a set of tires a season just to try stuff out. Since there have hasn't been any real new technological changes to any models in my size this year I will prob rock just one set this year.

Quick Reply: I guess I'll be putting the winter tires on a little early...