996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the BOV adjustable? yes via spring what opens the valve is vacuum. As far as I know it bleeds anytime it is under vaccum or when you let of gas to create the neg vacuum. The pulley I use keeps boost a safe levels 7psi max.

Last edited by Mother; 12-09-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. Those numbers seem really low. Why did you go with this setup?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Second Map run with early shutdown

Running to rich and had to shut down.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mother; 12-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
No growth in boost suggests a leak on the high pressure side of the intake. (Or the SC drive is slipping.) But I suspect a boost leak. If so, this can account for the lower output and the rich AFR since this air has been measured and the DME will fuel accordingly but the boost allows some air to bleed away and the result is the mixture is too rich.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I did have them do a smoke check and there where a couple of leaks (one at the secondary flap on distribution manifold) that have been fixed but not much change in boost until we set the psi pickup right at the manifold. My question is why do I get different boost rises at different fuel maps? Graph 1 - to rich-shut down graph 2 - babied threw the 4-5000 mark graph 4 ran ok all the way up to 7000. It's just this 4500-5500 rpm area with 5 new maps however pull 6 went all the way threw to WOT but hunted off WOT at idle till it stalled.?
Attached Images    

Last edited by Mother; 12-06-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Everyone like pictures

Idle durametric data- Anyone know how to get AFR/Torq/HP via durametric data using spreadsheet or other means.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought; what air filter are you using? Is it sufficient to flow the CFM's needed for the Vortech?

Your AFR's seems fairly steady, so I'd think the timing might be getting out of whack possibly due to the knock control making for some of the very weird graphs your car produced?

Lastly, if the BOV is not staying closed, you are dumping boost - one of the biggest suspects I'd think.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Hey Tippy nice to see you're have not gone over to the dark side yet! The tuners said it looked fine and it does flow as I recall 890 cfm but pulling it off would not hurt and putting a sock over just for test. I will check the BOV, but interesting that past the problem area 5xxx RPM it can get 5.xx psi I would think it would just drop worse if BOV. Personally I do not understand how someone can tune the engine with just AFR/TQ and HP.?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, you have persistence! I remember you setting this car up years ago.

Anyways, the BOV if adjustable, will maintain/dump at a given PSI no matter what RPM until it's flow limitations are exceeded.

Wait a minute, are you sure you have the vacuum on the right side of the diaphragm? If it is wrong, you will be pushing the BOV open dumping boost.

If you could take the BOV completely off and block off the tubing, then you could rule it out.

Ignition timing still comes to mind with the weird crazy graph readings it produced on several different runs.

And to what others have said, these belts do slip and serpentines will. At your low boost settings, it should not, but anything north of 6 PSI per se can start to cause issues on the 6-rib setups.

How much percentage of the belt is making contact with the drive pulley? You need around 50% give or take.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

My understanding of the BOV is that it it does not matter which way it is mounted it just uses vacuum to open the valve and is closed by spring pressure which is adjusted by changing springs. Timing is on my mind 2 also took off dyno yesterday since it wanted to try it driving around on the last fuel map and still has a small drop in the 5000 rpm area the just takes off when I got home had a oil leak which is from the AOS/crankcase breather supply line to the Throttle body or in my case back just downstream of the MAF...I just put it back on before dyno testing but seems to have popped off again. I am going to take it to have put on a lift to have a new o-ring installed and make sure it is fastened properly. At this point the tuner has not requested any Durametric readouts on timing etc.?

The belt has at least 50% wrap and is tight.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be using a pop off valve for a supercharger. Not a dv. When using a dv on a MAF metered car the vent side needs to be routed back into the intake after the MAF sensor.

I take it this isn't your setup as I seemed to have over looked your added description on the picture of the outlet of that dv being hooked up to the inlet.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5k rpm is around the area original variocam returns cam timing back to normal from the advanced state. I can feel it on my car if I'm really concentrating. Wondering if you are just feeling this change "more" dramatically because of the FI. What does your cam deviation read out for both banks from durametric? And can you monitor the actual angles value through the rpm range to validate variocam is working right?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trendy996
You should be using a pop off valve for a supercharger. Not a dv. When using a dv on a MAF metered car the vent side needs to be routed back into the intake after the MAF sensor.

I take it this isn't your setup as I seemed to have over looked your added description on the picture of the outlet of that dv being hooked up to the inlet.
That is the way it is just the hose is not connected in picture it takes charged air back to downside of the MAF before it is compressed. My understanding of Pop is it vents to the atmosphere.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by logray
5k rpm is around the area original variocam returns cam timing back to normal from the advanced state. I can feel it on my car if I'm really concentrating. Wondering if you are just feeling this change "more" dramatically because of the FI. What does your cam deviation read out for both banks from durametric? And can you monitor the actual angles value through the rpm range to validate variocam is working right?
I just tried to run data w/durametric and engine stalled few miles down the road so could not get wifi to verify the data cable-why could they not log ecu info in the cable without verifying via internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Opps sorry for the rant but my dog is no where to be found. I will try data run tomorrow again.

I understand the kick you feel however some of the dyno runs of vf setups show a smooth torq/hp and afr despite the variocam which not familiar with what is supposed to do however mine simply wants to backfire like it's to rich then shoots straight up to WOT and hunts and dies after idling to much. I am hoping to get some SC durametric data for comparison.

I went to another dyno shop today to have a leak fixed and spoke with there programmer said that the AFR looked pretty good but of course ended up in a guessing game after we sat and watched it hunt and dye. We did agree that these newer cars cannot be tuned like they did back in the old days with more and more sensors.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry I can't be more help ;-)

It's just been too long since I supercharged and tuned anything. My last was when I put a Judson blower on my '59 VW bug in the late '60s. It had a single throat Solex carb with a single mixture screw to turn and I could loosen the clamp on the '009 Bosch distributor to tweek the timing. It was fun, ran great and I'll bet it boosted that 36HP motor to about 50!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the dog. Durametric can be a little tricky.

Quick Reply: First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s