Sponsored by:

First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s

2000 996 w/Custom SC -This is the first Dyno tune on a Mustang dyno so feedback welcome FVD programmers are going to send new map soon and run again. Some questions though.

?. No growth in boost vs RPM stays at about 1.5-2 psi
?. Low HP and Torq dip is it related in the AFR settings range between 4400 to 6300 RPM

What to check?
Attached Images     
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
fast996
Instructor

did u customize a VF kit?
whats timing like in the middle? also 11.0 a/f seems kinda rich , explaining the dip in power maybe. PS. whats your exhaust setup?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

No growth in boost suggests a leak on the high pressure side of the intake. (Or the SC drive is slipping.) But I suspect a boost leak. If so, this can account for the lower output and the rich AFR since this air has been measured and the DME will fuel accordingly but the boost allows some air to bleed away and the result is the mixture is too rich.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Yes, it is built from scratch however intake is the same. I did not measure today the timing using my Duramatric, however the programmers said it was not needed if I supplied it via durametric? The exhaust is just maxflo mufflers. I suffer from stalling and get some hunting then stalls and just figured it was mixture since it smells rich on startup at idle and ECU can not compensate.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM
fast996
Instructor

thats how ur tuning it? no standalone? just letting the ECU compensate closedloop
Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
No growth in boost suggests a leak on the high pressure side of the intake.
Sincerely,

Macster.
Are you talking about a leak after the throttle body or before? They suggested a leak also, however I was not convinced the boost pressure would not rise more as the boost increased however never reaching 5-7psi target psi if a leak was present ....it just seems steady? They tap the pressure on the vacuum tube on the BOV valve for the measurement. They can do a smoke test.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast996
thats how ur tuning it? no standalone? just letting the ECU compensate closedloop
Tuning takes place using FVD programmers to make me fuel maps based on the data I send them then I reload the new map and re-test.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

belt slipping or vac leak would cause this. Given its a centrifical blower and you are getting 2.5lb immediately I would say boost leak. Belt slippage, unless maybe if it is really loose, would show an increase in boost followed by an early plateau as rpm's rise, and maybe a loss in PSI. What about your blow off/by pass valve could be stuck open and bleeding off boost.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Are you talking about a leak after the throttle body or before? They suggested a leak also, however I was not convinced the boost pressure would not rise more as the boost increased however never reaching 5-7psi target psi if a leak was present ....it just seems steady? They tap the pressure on the vacuum tube on the BOV valve for the measurement. They can do a smoke test.
The leak, if it exists, exists on the high pressure side, the side of the intake system that experiences boost pressure. Where the TB is I do not think makes any difference. Any hose the experiences high pressure, any hose fitting that holds a hose that experiences high pressure is suspect.

It is not unknown for a turbo-charged Porsche to experience a boost leak and these engines are built from the ground up to run with boost, their intakes are designed from day one to contain boost up to 0.7 bar and sometimes higher if the car is driven at higher altitudes.

The smoke test if it does not involve pressure may not turn up the leak if it requires considerable pressure to create.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

did you put a resistor on your maf? With all that extra air coming in you need to lower the signal... try a 220ohm to start.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Is my check valve in right the white facing rear of eng?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mother; 11-28-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redridge
did you put a resistor on your maf? With all that extra air coming in you need to lower the signal... try a 220ohm to start.
I think I am using a 480 ohm now and need to check MAF voltages. I just can not remember what voltages I need to look at for it to be correct.

Last edited by Mother; 11-28-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
The leak, if it exists, exists on the high pressure side, the side of the intake system that experiences boost pressure. Where the TB is I do not think makes any difference. Any hose the experiences high pressure, any hose fitting that holds a hose that experiences high pressure is suspect.

It is not unknown for a turbo-charged Porsche to experience a boost leak and these engines are built from the ground up to run with boost, their intakes are designed from day one to contain boost up to 0.7 bar and sometimes higher if the car is driven at higher altitudes.

The smoke test if it does not involve pressure may not turn up the leak if it requires considerable pressure to create.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I was thinking of using soapy water around the joints going from the SC discharge to the throttle body. And hooking up a visual gauge to rule out a bad dyno sensor. The eng was rebuilt 5000 miles ago.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hyper911
belt slipping or vac leak would cause this. Given its a centrifical blower and you are getting 2.5lb immediately I would say boost leak. Belt slippage, unless maybe if it is really loose, would show an increase in boost followed by an early plateau as rpm's rise, and maybe a loss in PSI. What about your blow off/by pass valve could be stuck open and bleeding off boost.
This belt is on tight and can barley get it over the belt tensioner during installation and is warm to the touch after shutdown like it is not slipping. Regarding the BOV I do need to check any suggestions...

Last edited by Mother; 11-29-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the BOV adjustable? Maybe you can introduce pressure to it from a compressor with a gauge in line and test at which point it opens.

What boost pressure are you supposed to have before it bleeds off?

Do you know the drive pullys are right for the RPM and the boost wanted?

GL getting it sorted.

Quick Reply: First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s