She's sprung a leak!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default She's sprung a leak!

Gentlemen,

Hope you're all well. My poor city dwelling 911 has finally been driven to tears.

Coolant is leaking from what looks like a drain on the center rad (tip), not a ton but enough that I'd like to fix her.

Let me know if I can accomplish this without replacing the radiator.

Best,
Hans
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jb weld!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Radiator stop leak? (kidding)

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

If that is a drain that is leaking -- and not a crack or a hole located elsewhere or coming from a bad hose fitting or even a bad hose -- you can try loosening/removing the drain plug and checking the condition of whatever seal is intended to stop the fluid from leaking and see if you can find a replacement.

Clean everything up and be sure the threads on the plug and in the radiator where the plug screws are good and install the revitalized drain plug and cross your fingers.

The leak may be due to a crack or a pinhole in the radiator or a bad hose, in which case almost certainly the leaking radiator will have to be replaced or of course the bad hose replaced.

Given the criticallity of the cooling system to the engine's health if there was any question I'd spring for a new radiator (or hose) and a drain and refill -- using a vacuum refill setup-- with the proper ratio of distilled water and new Porsche anti-freeze.

While you're there, well, in the vicinity anyhow, be sure the radiator ducts are all clear of any trash/debris.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Hans,

Your car is crying because it wants more attention from you. Drive it!

Seriously, hope you get it fixed soon. There is a excellent and cheap shop a few of us Rennlisters go to if you need a good guy.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't forget to check and see if your expansion cap has been updated. I had always assumed that mine had, (shame on me) and when I discovered a small coolant leak under the car, I assumed the worst. As of now, it appears to be the cap which is original to the car and has 117k on it! oops.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are the DIY type, no better DIY than Lorens...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-instructions/
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys.

Logray - thanks for the link, I'm going to drop Loren a line to see if he has the P/N's for the tip

Macster - I also have a suspicion that the leak may be from within the radiator assembly and just presenting at the apparent drain (which is not conclusively a drain, doesn't seem to have thread for a tool/key). Due to my garage situation, if I'm taking off the front clip I'm going to finish the job, so I'm inclined to replace the rad. How important do you think the vacuum end of that is? In my experience with coolant refills in this car it seems to burp itself just fine.

Jyoteen - you know I used some JB weld type stuff on a water heater two winters ago and that is holding up! haha

Tom - I do in fact have the updated cap on the tank, caught it during certification, very common issue so good thought.

Chao - you know I'm putting the miles on her with my girlfriend having moved to Boston, ~66K now! PM me the name of the shop, if I can't sort it myself I'll drop it off. PCA discount? Maybe he'll give it a nice wash for me.

Quick Reply: She's sprung a leak!