Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil change and spark plug change problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change and spark plug change problems.

I decided to attempt to change oil and spark plugs on my car. I just bought the car in December had a chance to drive with few days, seemed to worked great.

I never changed oil or sparks in any of my other cars but I thought no better car to learn on than a 996.

So I looked up on youtube the video on oil change 996. Followed the directions, and unscrewed the plate under oil pan. To my horror oil kept gushing out of it like visible on the pics. I had to go before the oil stopped dripping, but it looked like it filled most of the 9L oil pan I had under it. Now I am scared of opening it up, as there should be no oil coming out of there? Is there a whole in the engine?

Second thing is i can't get my wheel off, got all the lugs out but the wheel won't move, i guess i just need to hit it with a hammer or kick it real hard.

The 3 problem I have is the screw to the muffler right by the bumper seems to be rusted and I can't figure out (don't have deep socket set, its coming in few days) what socket size to use? Is it 15 cm or 16cm? I don't want to strip it.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What YouTube video did you watch? You only need to remove the oil filter and the 8mm drain plug.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

ohhhh boyyyy...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, to change your oil you don't need to take off the sump plate. You simply have to un-screw the drain plug in the centre of the sump plate. Not sure which video you watched but I think it is the wrong one. The sump holds about 9 litres of oil so you have probably got most of it. The problem you have now is that you will have to take off the sump plate, clean off all the mating surfaces, apply a carefully measured bead of a special sealant and then re-install the sump plate. You will also have to torque it to spec. I'm thinking you may need some help with all this and might need to get a Porsche shop involved.
With the wheel, what I do is get the wheel just off the ground, sit on the floor beside the wheel and try kicking the tire with the heel of your shoe. Usually a couple of kicks will get it free. What I do then is coat the mating surfaces with a very small amount of anit-seize compound before I re-install the wheel.
Can't help you with your third question as I'm not sure what size it is.

Good luck with this.
Cheers
Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step back, take a deep breath and calm down. Nothing you have done to this point is a big deal. But as scottie mac stated and based on your performance so far you need to find someone to help you get your car back in service. Rather than watch YouTube videos, I would recommend doing a search on this and a great DIY called RENNTECH that offers a wealth of knowledge and a number of members that are more than willing to help a newbie out. We have a saying the military that the only dumb question in the one not asked! Good luck to ya!
Tom
Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

oh boy ..... what a way to start .. Any independants in London that can help ? I guess you may be towing to the dealer as i think you are just starting out. You could possibly put the bolts back in , wash off what you can and put oil in it. then live with the drips till your next oil change, take it to a shop next time and have them reseal the plate if your not comfortable doing it yourself.

For the wheel you can undo all the lugs a couple of thread ( okay i am talking a couple of mm gap from the wheel, then lower the car on the jack, the weight of the car should pop it, then jack it back up. you have disimilar metal corrosion between the steel rotor and aluminum wheel , unusual for a Porsche rotor as they are usually coated so may be an aftermarket rotor. Spray the hub surface if you remove the rotor or rotor surface where it mates with the wheel with copper antiseize spray ( thin coat ) to stop this happening again.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Thanks for all the help, stupid you tube videos. Maybe i should pay more attention to it, next time.

Yes there is lots of places in London including porsche dealer and couple indy shops that specialize in german cars, they have even done a number of LN bearing fits. That's not the point of DYI though.

Hmm, ok so my next step is too take the plate wash it and seal it somehow. This will be fun any tips?

EDIT:
Forgot that I have the whole technical manual. This sum plate business looks pretty easy, all i need now is "Drei Bond", type 1209. or CARQUEST equivelant. If its good enough for a Ford it's good enough for me.
Anything else I should fix while I am in there? How far I am from AOS?
Attached Images  

Last edited by mikeswift; 01-18-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: new info
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Mikey not so swift! My advice to you is STOP!! I repeat STOP! working on this car.
If you never changed oil on a car before then don't start on this car now.
Don't even think of changing the plugs!!!
Don't even try to put the sump plate back on your own you will be sorry if you do.
Get it towed to a dealer to replace the sump plate properly.
Maybe next time do the oil yourself,but you need more education before you do this.
Get a friend that is a mechanic to help you.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeswift
stupid you tube videos. Maybe i should pay more attention to it, next time.

any tips?
Go here http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
Download manuals and read it step by step.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

If you have the whole manual then read it and quit wasting our time!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goldenwarrior1
If you have the whole manual then read it and quit wasting our time!
I share my adventures as entertaiment for some here, if you don't get anything out of it don't read it. I read every thread here and don't complain if they suck.

To everyone else thanks for all help.

Ps. Asking for directions and reading manuals first is for woman.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

With your skills and attitude I'm sure you will get lots of help on this web site!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goldenwarrior1
With your skills and attitude I'm sure you will get lots of help on this web site!!!!!!!
I am sure everyone on this website remembers everyone on here, and their "bad" response to one jerk on their thread. This feels childish, and I feel stupid for coming down to your level of non-sense because I am sure you can beat me with all your experience.

so you win, sorry for wasting your time sir.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I personally enjoyed your thread

We've all done stupid things and since this one didn't cause any permanent harm it caused quite a few laughs over here.

Just get it fixed and move on.

The good thing out of all of this is that the real way to do the oil change is much easier than what you just attempted to do. So if anything you are now more experienced than someone who would have only attempted the oil change.

Good luck and hey, live and learn!

Quick Reply: Oil change and spark plug change problems.